WightFibre

Gill PGill P Posts: 21,569
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Anyone know anything about WightFibre which is the only cable company on the Island? If it is coming to our road would it be better than BT?

Comments

• stuntmasterstuntmaster Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    Gill P wrote: »
    Anyone know anything about WightFibre which is the only cable company on the Island? If it is coming to our road would it be better than BT?

its exactly the same as Virgin media / smallworld

its fibre to the cabinet and thick coax cable to your house.

it's very good, I have a friend who works for Wightfibre and he finds his internet just fine. :)
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that. When I go onto their website it says that we are able to get it but, as far as I can see, nothing appears to have happened in my area.
    Forum Member
    Thanks for that. When I go onto their website it says that we are able to get it but, as far as I can see, nothing appears to have happened in my area.

wightfibre = wightcable company name rebrand.

so you probably could have gotten it ages ago. quite a bit of the island is cabled I think.

My friend lives in binstead and he gets it fine even though he is out in the sticks and off the beaten track.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have received an email from WightFibre and they say that as there is no underground cable in our road, we would have to have the signal from a mast which would go to a dish on our house. As we already have a Sky dish I asked if that would suffice. Only just sent that email and I am waiting to hear from them.

I am in Carisbrooke, within sight of the Castle and the church. So we should be fine.
    Forum Member
    I have received an email from WightFibre and they say that as there is no underground cable in our road, we would have to have the signal from a mast which would go to a dish on our house. As we already have a Sky dish I asked if that would suffice. Only just sent that email and I am waiting to hear from them.

I am in Carisbrooke, within sight of the Castle and the church. So we should be fine.

interesting, let me know how that is! my mate might be able to spot you on the network if you get it :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently we would need a new dish for phone and broadband and they will do a survey if and when we want to change. I think we are tied in at the moment.
    Forum Member
    yep, using a dish to wirelessly get the service.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently they are rolling out the TV packages in early February so, if we are going to change, we will wait for that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I won't be able to change to WightFibre yet as our BT contract doesn't run out until 2 November!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now I've found out that it is unlikely that there will be TV services in my road. As this was one of the things which tempted us, we will probably not bother. The only benefit would be the faster broadband. As we are retired and not bothered about the speed, as long as it is adequate, I think we will stick with BT for the time being.