Galaxy S4 vs HTC One

hopeandfaith06hopeandfaith06 Posts: 17,133
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi guys,

I am looking at upgrading my phone. I currently have the Galaxy s3, and before that I had the s2, as you can guess I am a big fan of the Samsung range of phones, so I am tempted to upgrade to the Galaxy s4, but I have heard lots of great things about the HTC One, and I must admit it does look very nice.

For anyone who has used either or both of these phones, what do people think? Pros and cons etc.

Also do you recommend any other high end phones? I know the new Sony Xperia is meant to be good, is that a phone to look more into? And any others people recommend?

Thank you for your help.

Comments

• alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you find the aluminium HTC One as pretty and the lower light mega pixel camera more useful then it might be for you.

If you want the upgradable memory upgrade, the unique blackness of OLED, the size adaptable battery, the possibly better working GPS reception(no antenna blocking metal), then head the S4 way.
    The water protection Xperia Z is possibly for the outdoor type.

View them all and choose your own preference. Most phones are half decent.
  • dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    Hi guys,

I am looking at upgrading my phone. I currently have the Galaxy s3, and before that I had the s2, as you can guess I am a big fan of the Samsung range of phones, so I am tempted to upgrade to the Galaxy s4, but I have heard lots of great things about the HTC One, and I must admit it does look very nice.

For anyone who has used either or both of these phones, what do people think? Pros and cons etc.

Also do you recommend any other high end phones? I know the new Sony Xperia is meant to be good, is that a phone to look more into? And any others people recommend?

Thank you for your help.

If your looking for a contract:

Stick to your current phone for now, get a sim only and see what happens when all the 4g deals come out later this year.
  • CoolboyACoolboyA Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi guys,

Thank you for your help.
    I had the Tocco Ultra, the S2, the Note and the Note 2, but moved to the HTC One. It is amazing. It is no surprise that all reviewers love it.
  • slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    If you find the aluminium HTC One as pretty and the lower light mega pixel camera more useful then it might be for you.

If you want the upgradable memory upgrade, the unique blackness of OLED, the size adaptable battery, the possibly better working GPS reception(no antenna blocking metal), then head the S4 way.

There is no antenna blocking going on, since ive had no issue with gps, call or data signal due to the metal body.

As for OLED blackness, its not far off on the One provided you dont stick the brightness on max like some people do then complain about washed out colours. For example you wouldnt put the brightness on your tv to max would you? Seen a lot of reviewers do just that innormal conditions, then say the black looks grey. black levels are fine and the metal does not compromise signal quality, just to clear that up.
  • charliesayscharliesays Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me the one issue I had with the S4 is not being able to move apps to the SD card, but that's about to be cleared up by an update. I honestly haven't any other cons. The build quality argument has always been garbage to me and the lag I read about is non-existent.

A fantastic phone although so is the One. As much as people try to belittle one over the other, there's no doubt you won't be disappointed with either. Just make sure you're aware of all of the minor differences/advantages of one over the other, such as the external speakers, camera, Touchwiz v Sense etc and ascertain which is most important to you.
  • southladsouthlad Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »

The GPS on the HTC One has been exceptional and much quicker at picking up signal than my SGS2.
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP, coming from the S2 and S3 the experience on the S4 will be similar, but better, on the S4. However the One will be quite different and you nay hate or love that. I can't see the need to go S3 to S4 unless it is to have LTE as they are so similar.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    southlad wrote: »
    The GPS on the HTC One has been exceptional and much quicker at picking up signal than my SGS2.

GPS and mobile signal are dynamite! pick up right away and you are ready to go.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    slick1two wrote: »
    GPS and mobile signal are dynamite! pick up right away and you are ready to go.

That is A-GPS data, not signal level. And that, on the One is likely be of a more variable nature depending on orientation.

Unimportant to many I agree.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Sony Xperia Z is the high end smartphone that you should be considering.

It's every bit as good as the HTC One & Samsung S4; it has arguably the best camera of any mobile phone on sale & you have the added security of being able to drop it or get it soaking wet & not worry about it dying.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's every bit as good as the HTC One & Samsung S4; it has arguably the best camera of any mobile phone on sale & you have the added security of being able to drop it or get it soaking wet & not worry about it dying.

This may be worth a look. A comparison review of both Xperia Z and HTC One, can see which phone is better in certain areas.

http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_one_vs_xperia_z-review-917.php
  • Step666Step666 Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's every bit as good as the HTC One & Samsung S4; it has arguably the best camera of any mobile phone on sale...
    Further to what slick1two said, here's GSMArena's comparison between the Xperia Z and S4.
    The camera comparison between the two is pretty one-sided.

...& you have the added security of being able to drop it or get it soaking wet & not worry about it dying.
    If that's important, the new Galaxy S4 Active would be a better choice.
    It has a higher IP rating than the Z and it's screen can be used under water.