BBC Breakfast

Comments

• Department_SDepartment_S Posts: 4,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sue_Aitch wrote: »
    Fair enough.

Go on Sue. Buy yourself a nice new telly. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a chance: pre-loved CRT for my next model when this one gets beyond economical repair.
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sue_Aitch wrote: »
    Not a chance: pre-loved CRT for my next model when this one gets beyond economical repair.

why not see if you can find a HD CRT! With HDMI in! Then you would be happy it would be widescreen too as HD is widescreen by default
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I'm still on DS when the time comes, I'll let you all know.

The topic of the thread was included in this weekend's edition of Newswatch.
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder how many people sat sadly in front of their well-loved 405-line b & w TV sets in January 1985, with tears in their eyes, bemoaning the fact that the very last 405-line transmissions had just ceased and it was now a new 625-line TV or nothing. Did they ever recover from the trauma or did they just buy a new up-to-date TV.

There comes a time when things have to be renewed and after many years of widescreen TVs it is high time old 4:3 sets were dumped. We have had now for some time seen many widescreen CRT sets dumped at recycling centres and even now some LCD and Plasmas. So 4:3 is really old hat.
  • JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was really hoping BBC Breakfast would have got rid of that fake empty space with chairs background when they refreshed the brand on Tuesday. Just keep the nice sunrise view, it would make the studio look a lot neater.

Also, they didn't update the titles to include the new smaller BBC News box did they?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CRT sets are out of date, they belong in a museum. As will the current sets (LCD, Plasma) in the years coming, sets are quickly being developed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Caxton wrote: »
    I wonder how many people sat sadly in front of their well-loved 405-line b & w TV sets in January 1985, with tears in their eyes, bemoaning the fact that the very last 405-line transmissions had just ceased and it was now a new 625-line TV or nothing. Did they ever recover from the trauma or did they just buy a new up-to-date TV.

There comes a time when things have to be renewed and after many years of widescreen TVs it is high time old 4:3 sets were dumped. We have had now for some time seen many widescreen CRT sets dumped at recycling centres and even now some LCD and Plasmas. So 4:3 is really old hat.

I agree there was about a 15 year gap between colour TV starting and 405 service ending so we now see the same gap of about 15 years since widescreen digital services started and its only because the centre cut out option even exists that this is an issue as in 1985 they just turned off 405 so why cant they just turn off 4:3 centre cut out now with a firmware upgrade and just move people on! and the same with HD they should ban the sale of freeview SD only receivers and SD only freesat and other satelite recivers and if Sky did the upgrade and shut down DVB-*1 SD too then HD and SD over DVB-*2 could start to become the norm. Then who knows maybe the cost of HD will come down if channels dont have to simualcast.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JordyD wrote: »
    I was really hoping BBC Breakfast would have got rid of that fake empty space with chairs background when they refreshed the brand on Tuesday.
    They only updated the BBC News Channel "brand", BBC Breakfast had its rebrand 12 months ago when it moved to Salford.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lotrjw wrote: »
    I agree there was about a 15 year gap between colour TV starting and 405 service ending so we now see the same gap of about 15 years since widescreen digital services started and its only because the centre cut out option even exists that this is an issue as in 1985 they just turned off 405 so why cant they just turn off 4:3 centre cut out now with a firmware upgrade and just move people on! and the same with HD they should ban the sale of freeview SD only receivers and SD only freesat and other satelite recivers and if Sky did the upgrade and shut down DVB-*1 SD too then HD and SD over DVB-*2 could start to become the norm. Then who knows maybe the cost of HD will come down if channels dont have to simualcast.
    I would suggest that many models of boxes and TVs older than three or four years and replaced by later models are no longer receiving firmware updates, and are no longer "supported" by the manufacturer. Some brands have no support at all due to the manufacturer pulling out of the market or collapsing.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Breakfast is this annoying program that doesn't have any news on it. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caxton wrote: »

For the final time on this thread, Live and Let Watch and Listen. I prefer an SD feed to my CRT ( and that TV was a gift to me, by the way) to any thinscreen, HD or not. It all as it works just fine this set up just as all those early Digital ads on the BBC promised it would without any additional overlay of the about £100 the early adopters forked out for a STB.

I rest my plea for tolerance of old working tech. Again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Firstly, it most certainly does. And it's just more than headlines every 15 or 30 mins.

Secondly, from around 8:30 to 9:15 it takes on a more magaziney feel, whilst the News Channel carries the normal rolling news service.

It does what is is supposed to do.
  • cyril-furrcyril-furr Posts: 1,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Lots of news about snow falling this morning:)
    There is a cold Glacier moving in from the north-east not good:eek:
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has something happened between Bill and Susanna, they don't seem to be together any more, it's Bill and Louise, Charlie and Susanna.
  • AndyB2007AndyB2007 Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

As opposed to BBC Newcastle's breakfast show with Alfie Joey and Gilly Hope the morning after the closure announcement of the News of the World, where, despite Newcastle-born Carole Malone on that paper, thought getting Hollywood movie suggestions for Wills and Kate was worthy of serious discussion? You'd never see Mike Parr doing this.

I know Alfie likes his light-hearted topics, but even Daybreak (!) did better than BBC Newcastle on that day, by having Dan Lobb and Christine Bleakley getting reaction to the closure of the paper. I felt a bit of sympathy for Carole after that.

I'm not a big Carole Malone fan (even though I did watch her Sky1 show), but she's been in the business for 20+ years (whereas as ones like Alfie Joey ,Matthew Raisbeck,Helen Richardson, Simon Pryde,Stephanie Finnon and Charlie Charlton hasn't been in the business for as long as her or in AJ's case,have no experience), and some of those journalists are expected to have her support, either for striking or a national career i.e Sky News/Sky Sports News/BBC News like what Matt Barbet, Ranvir Singh, Ellie Crisell and Phillipa Tomson have managed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Has something happened between Bill and Susanna, they don't seem to be together any more, it's Bill and Louise, Charlie and Susanna.

No, I believe that they are different due to holidays and of course Susanna has also covered on Sunday's Andrew Marr programme (which has meant that she has swapped Breakfast shifts).
  • JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    They only updated the BBC News Channel "brand", BBC Breakfast had its rebrand 12 months ago when it moved to Salford.

Well they've take on the new BBC news graphics. You would also think they would match everything up?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well they've take on the new BBC news graphics. You would also think they would match everything up?
    Universal news graphics, nothing at all to so with "that fake empty space with chairs background" :)
  • DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    why not see if you can find a HD CRT! With HDMI in! Then you would be happy it would be widescreen too as HD is widescreen by default

I remember looking for a Samsung HD CRT when they made a 32" model and I was looking to upgrade from a CRT. They didn't hang around on sale too long, though. Must've been a lot of problems with them.

That's the only thing I find odd about the clock. Why put it on the opposite side from BBC News?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was watching BBC breakfast News on BBC1 HD this morning and during one of the opts instead of going straight to the card that says move to the SD channel for your local news ect. I actually got a part of the London opt (or I believe it was anyway) as I was in the middle of switching to the SD BBC 1 to get my local opt so I didnt see it properly.
    I wasnt recording it ether so I cant watch it back as it would have been interesting to see.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was watching BBC breakfast News on BBC1 HD this morning and during one of the opts instead of going straight to the card that says move to the SD channel for your local news ect. I actually got a part of the London opt (or I believe it was anyway) as I was in the middle of switching to the SD BBC 1 to get my local opt so I didnt see it properly.
    I wasnt recording it ether so I cant watch it back as it would have been interesting to see.

The London opt isn't in HD
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    The London opt isn't in HD

Well there was an opt on BBC 1 HD channel for the time it took me to switch to the SD BBC1 for my own region's opt!
    It might have been an upscale of London's SD opt but I wasnt on there long enough to find out as I wanted to see my region's news.
  • Funk YouFunk You Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    I cant believe this thread is about the clock on BBC Breakfast LOL! dear oh dear. Anyway I have two CRT TV's in my house one is a Daewoo TV/VHS combi and is 19' and displays the clock fine. One upstairs in my bedroom is a Bush 32' CRT and again the clock is fine on that, these TV's are about 12 years old now with freeview boxes attached to them that run fine. I also play PS3 on the TV upstairs which also works a treat. As for the 4:3 argument there are some programmes that broadcast in that format namely Family Guy on BBC3 and a lot of old shows on Viva for e.g. South Park and there is big black bars on the left and right hand sides of the screen. I could just change the settings but then it would muck everything up and it seems that the TV just changes to 4:3 anyway even when I have messed with the picture settings on my freeview box then once a programme that was filmed in 4:3 finishes all of a sudden it pops back up to 16:9 and a little green symbol in the right of the screen displays saying "16:9" and the picture suddenly jumps back into life.

As for BBC Breakfast overall I really do like it, I'm not bothered about the clock. I'd like to see more of Susanna Reid though she is one sexy milf ;) not a fan of Minchen she's wrinkly. Steph McGovern is a hotty as well though. As for presenting its all good! much better than whats on ITV where they go to a break every 5 mins asking us to enter a competition.
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    I'm glad to see BBC Wales' Sian Lloyd getting some sofa time.