PS3 blu-ray diode lifespan

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,159
Forum Member
✭✭✭
With my own and some of my friends ps3's blu-ray diode burning out between 18 months and 2 years of low usage, are we about to see a console with 100% failure rate?

its not looking good

how long should a device like this last, if it comes down to arguing with sony for a repair in the courts?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    console with 100% failure rate? this aint the xbox 360 with RROD problems.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elan Morin wrote: »
    console with 100% failure rate? this aint the xbox 360 with RROD problems.

the diode in ALL ps3s will fail at some point

the question is, how long is that lifespan?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stevosowl wrote: »

what are you? an electonics engineer at some repair facility? have you got some proof beyond your friends?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elan Morin wrote: »
    what are you? an electonics engineer at some repair facility? have you got some proof beyond your friends?

I think he's been reading this article;

http://gizmodo.com/5449974/is-a-firmware-update-killing-ps3-blu+ray-drives

I think there is something fishy with the PS3 failure rates. Nearly everyone in the clan I was in are now onto their second PS3. I'm onto my third in 3 years. :eek::confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Got 2 ps3's high usage , 2 and half years. Nothing wrong.
  • ChparmarChparmar Posts: 6,367
    Forum Member
    It's nowhere near as bad as Xbox 360's Red Ring of Death, so I think Sony will be okay!

And all consoles eventually have a 100% failure rate! The more newer and complicated the sooner they will fail!
  • DEADLY_17DEADLY_17 Posts: 9,262
    Forum Member
    agree about the RROD of comments

Sony are very good when it comes to repairs, and tbh i know alot of people eho have had PS£ since lauch and still theres is going strong
  • mad_dudemad_dude Posts: 10,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

http://gizmodo.com/5449974/is-a-firm...blu+ray-drives

I think there is something fishy with the PS3 failure rates. Nearly everyone in the clan I was in are now onto their second PS3. I'm onto my third in 3 years.

I have a PS3 which is on nearly constantly 8+ Hours a day playing DVD's, Blu-Rays, Games, PS2 games it is a launch 60gb still not failed. so 100% failure rate is a bit of a misnomer.

Btw it is on nearly that amount of time because I cannot recieve freeview in my room so I use the PS3 for most of my television viewing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The_Yeti wrote: »

I think there is something fishy with the PS3 failure rates. Nearly everyone in the clan I was in are now onto their second PS3. I'm onto my third in 3 years. :eek::confused:

Is your clan the ' PS3 sink or swim clan ' ?
  • lawrenma2lawrenma2 Posts: 4,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DEADLY_17 wrote: »
    agree about the RROD of comments

Sony are very good when it comes to repairs, and tbh i know alot of people eho have had PS£ since lauch and still theres is going strong

I could be wrong, but think Microsoft offered xbox customers a 3 year warranty against this particular issue.

Don't think Sony offered consumers any sort of official warranty to covering YLOD or this blu ray diode issue, although it depends on how much you kick up and use the old "well, I expected a £300 console to last longer than 18 months" line.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Microsoft were forced to give an the extended warranty, which has cost them well over a billion dollars.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If anyone has played a PSone and PS2 you will see the PS3 blu-ray laser as actually quite good.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The_Yeti wrote: »

In fairness Yeti you are on your 3rd cos you throw yours at your TV when i Noob Toob ya!!! lol! :eek::rolleyes::cool::eek:

Nah seriously, I have had (what was originally a 40gb) machine for 2 years. I put my own 120gb drive in it and i have done every firmware update with no issued (finds nearest piece of wood to touch (no perverse comments please!)) and no problems at all with MW2 or any other game

The occasional freeze over the last 2 years on various games etc but nothin no one else has not had!

It is hit and miss but it ceratinly aint RROD failure rates!
  • The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mad_dude wrote: »
    If anyone has played a PSone and PS2 you will see the PS3 blu-ray laser as actually quite good.

It wasnt the laser diode that wore out on the PS1 it was the plastic mounting, this was replaced with a metal one and the whole assembly moved away from the PSU to reduce heat when the issue became apparent so to say the original Playstation has a bad laser isnt quite correct, only some did.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It wasnt the laser diode that wore out on the PS1 it was the plastic mounting, this was replaced with a metal one and the whole assembly moved away from the PSU to reduce heat when the issue became apparent so to say the original Playstation has a bad laser isnt quite correct, only some did.

It still had the same effect in which the PS1 and PS2 wouldnt read disks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stattospur wrote: »
    Is your clan the ' PS3 sink or swim clan ' ?

WTF Mav? It's your damn clan! :D
    Pidge wrote: »
    In fairness Yeti you are on your 3rd cos you throw yours at your TV when i Noob Toob ya!!! lol! :eek::rolleyes::cool::eek:

Hey Pidge, I was feeling slightly sensitive as I was being noobtubed all day that day! I didnt expect my own clan mate to do that...although I should of preempted it from a guy who exclusively ran around with Martyrdom and Juggernaut in COD4! :D:p I J/K
    Apologies for being so rude. MW2 was the only game to ever make my blood pressure to rise! :mad: Glad that I dont have it now.

Back on topic, I'm sure I used my PS3s as much as the next guy, kept it clean, ventilated and dust free. I never overused either of them, and I always made sure that the fans cleared all the excess heat. I always had a few crashes but to find that TWO PS3's going down even though I never abused them is slightly weird imo.

Now onto my third one, I actually very rarely use it now as I'm scared it will go the same way as the other two. It seems that I have lost a lot of faith in it. :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i don't understand how something, the laser diode, can fail, it doesn't physically touch the disc just reads it

until last night i had never had any problems with any games console i've had, but looks like now i will have to repair my PS3 or buy a new one, and compared with most if not all PS3 users on here, hand on heart, in 2 years mine has hardly been used

i bought it more for its versatility as a do (almost) anything console, and i always buy Sony products
  • mattshentonmattshenton Posts: 2,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    got original 60gig model (upgraded to 500gig) had since launch, use for at least 3-4hours per day somedays have know to have 10 hours plus.

my ps3 sits behind my 32" lcd tv no problems and i've dropped it once during its life span.

No product is 100% certain to work perfect after so long but you might get luck. My sega megadrive still works but my xbox (long gone) died a horrible death.......i chucked it on the bonfire because it was s++t!!!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 322
    Forum Member
    My 40GB PS3 went after 16 months, I had to fork out £130 for a repair. The bluetooth function had completely blown, gutted.

Say what you want about the 360, but I could have bought a brand new Arcade replacement for £109, had it repaired by Microsoft for £65 or for free if it were the RROD.

If my recondition PS3 replacement goes they will expect me to fork out another £130 which I aint doing.

It's all good and well being more reliable but if it happens to you, and the service behind it is a far more expensive exercise, it becomes a problem.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sony are going to have a big problem on their hands

a console is expected to last more than a couple of years - they should repair them all for free.

i found terrible customer service when i contacted them about a repair
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

a console is expected to last more than a couple of years - they should repair them all for free.

Their last two generations of consoles have been a lot worse in terms of reliability. from sony and that hasnt caused any big problems yet.
  • MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know of no-one personally who owns a PS3 who has had this happen. From a couple of import consoles, 3 launch issues, 2 40gig models and about 5 models later than that. So that doesn't seem so bad. Certainly better than the rrod spree that 80% of my 360 owning friends have experienced.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    I am on my FOURTH PS3, each one the store and/or Sony said looked and behaved like new due to the care I took with them. Each one failed for exactly the same reason:

Blue diode dying

At first the occasional dual-layer disc will not read then eventually all dual layer discs will not read.

The way you ID a dl disc is by looking at the inner circle of the disc concerned, see the rings? If it is Dual layer there will be two rings, with the words '0 layer' and '1 layer'

Every one of the failures on my systems were dual layer discs that failed on my PS3's,

I can only assume that it is built-in obsolescence because 4 different PS3's built between 2006 and 2011 cannot all have been fitted with the same bad stock of KES 400/410/420/450's, that is just ludicrous, no it is quite obvious at this point that Sony have followed Hewlett-Packard in designing in part obsolescence as a means to further sales.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No they won't. :rolleyes:

The PS3 is 6/7 years old now. If this was as big an issue as you'd like everyone to believe I think we'd have heard a bit more about it.
    twobells wrote: »
    I am on my FOURTH PS3, each one the store and/or Sony said looked and behaved like new due to the care I took with them. Each one failed for exactly the same reason:

Blue diode dying

At first the occasional dual-layer disc will not read then eventually all dual layer discs will not read.

The way you ID a dl disc is by looking at the inner circle of the disc concerned, see the rings? If it is Dual layer there will be two rings, with the words '0 layer' and '1 layer'

Every one of the failures on my systems were dual layer discs that failed on my PS3's,

I can only assume that it is built-in obsolescence because 4 different PS3's built between 2006 and 2011 cannot all have been fitted with the same bad stock of KES 400/410/420/450's, that is just ludicrous, no it is quite obvious at this point that Sony have followed Hewlett-Packard in designing in part obsolescence as a means to further sales.

I find this very strange. I've never heard of any dying before this thread (that's not to say I'm saying they don't) but for you to have 4 out of 4 is just impossible to me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My PS3 still runs fine over 3 years since I bought it. I know people who bought a 60GB console on launch and it still works.

EDIT: Just noticed how old this thread is :o