Tablet magazine subs?

whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Have people found since getting a tablet they have subscribed to magazines again?

I've not bought magazines for a while now. but i wonder i would start again if i get a tablet......

Comments

• Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I subscribed to 2000AD on my iPad via the Newsstand. Not read it in years, but the DREDD film made me want to get back into it.

I also tried out the Guardian app, via a free trial for a few months. Excellent layout and interface, very well done. But... couldn't justify paying for it as I can't be bothered to sit and read a paper every day, whether it's physical or electronic, and I prefer to get more up to date news via the web.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah i dont think i'd read a newspaper through a sub.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dabbled with it, but a 7" screen isn't ideal for it, and sadly many publications are still ipad only.
    I do have a couple of freebie apps that download the latest 'issue' automatically, and I get some of the free issues on Zinio, occasionally buying a copy of something on there. Likewise Pressreader for newspapers
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.newspaperdirect.pressreader.android.hc&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5uZXdzcGFwZXJkaXJlY3QucHJlc3NyZWFkZXIuYW5kcm9pZC5oYyJd

Nice to have the full digital versions of every single page sometimes, though even free papers like Evening Standard cost using Press Reader.

Most of the mags I would buy aren't available though (holding out for Time Out and Empire), and still waiting for Metro for Tablet to be updated for 4.2.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.metro.metrotablet
  • simon olivesimon olive Posts: 783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can you get Razzle in the ipad :D
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Nook HD/HD+ have a good selection of magazines.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I found them cheaper on the Ipad. so I download more often but only if the cover interests me.
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    Can you get Razzle in the ipad :D

Probably a publication for the next generation of iPads? Surely they will bring in 3D at some point? :D
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would really recommemd downloading the nook app, especially for those using android. The magazine and newspaper selection is much larger than on the google play store or from amazon. Also nook offer a 14 day trial on all newspapers and magazines.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would really recommemd downloading the nook app, especially for those using android. The magazine and newspaper selection is much larger than on the google play store or from amazon. Also nook offer a 14 day trial on all newspapers and magazines.

cheers for the tip...didn't even know there was an app....
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=bn.ereader

I tend to use Google Books and zinio; I have the kindle app too but only use it for stuff not on GBooks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hmm...just playing with Nook app. Looks like newspapers should download with full pages, photos, etc, but all I'm getting is a Kindle-style formatted articles with very few images (London Evening Standard). Is there a trick or setting I've missed?