Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937)

grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,685
Forum Member
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs: 4.5/5

I enjoyed it, but not my favourite Disney. It's impact on Disney and indeed, all cinema cannot be underestimated. Critics thought no-one would sit through a cartoon feature, calling it "Disney's folly". Some sequences are magnificent, the Queen in her castle, the way the forest comes alive and the part when the Wicked Queen makes the potion to turn herself into a beggar woman. These sequences of genuine darkness - which I think sets this apart from more modern Disneys - combine with cute scenes and timeless songs that have passed into cinema lore like Heigh Ho and Whistle While You Work.
While the build up and pacing of the film seems rather uneven (the film ends rather abruptly), I can see why it's so important. Surely she'd find out the Prince's name first :p
The US Blu Ray transfer is stunning given the age of the film.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 760
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The extras on the discs are amazing too, and the whole design of the DVD makes you feel you really own something special, which of course you do!

Pinocchio and Dumbo look great also, and I hope Fantasia looks as good when it arrives soon. That should pretty much tie up my Disney collection, except The Lion King for the wife!
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,685
    Forum Member
    Funny that Dumbo still isnt out in the US yet - I'm hoping it arrives soon and that the original Mono sound is preserved. I know it sounds like I dont like Snow White (not true) but I prefer Dumbo and Pinocchio. Maybe because I grew up watching those and didnt see Snow White in full for the first time til a few years ago.
    Maybe the US BD of Dumbo has been postponed?
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I have the movie on VHS somewhere, I liked it but the bit where they showed the enchanted forest scared me. I was only about 4 or 5 and I used to have nightmares from it as I thought it went on forever. It was really dark and spooky too. I might get the DVD sometime.
  • jaimesommersjaimesommers Posts: 53
    Forum Member
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs: 4.5/5

The US Blu Ray transfer is stunning given the age of the film.

The US Bluray is identical to the UK Bluray apart from the region code.
    Funny that Dumbo still isnt out in the US yet - I'm hoping it arrives soon and that the original Mono sound is preserved. I know it sounds like I dont like Snow White (not true) but I prefer Dumbo and Pinocchio. Maybe because I grew up watching those and didnt see Snow White in full for the first time til a few years ago.
    Maybe the US BD of Dumbo has been postponed?

Dumbo is out in the US on Bluray next year .
    Not sure why it was delayed , and I'm sure Disney will use the extra year to make it better than the UK version.

Why not buy that ?

If you have the US Pinocchio Bluray you have 2 pieces of footage missing that was only present on the UK Bluray.
    Even the UK dvd was messed up
    Forum Member
    What was missing from Pinocchio? (I have the US Blu Ray).
    I thought (with Snow White) the UK Blu Ray misses the Mono but I may be wrong :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,304
    Forum Member
    Next, your opinion on the Italian remake where the naughty seven dwarves teach Snow White erotic secrets to impress the king, please :D
  • jaimesommersjaimesommers Posts: 53
    Forum Member
    What was missing from Pinocchio? (I have the US Blu Ray).
    I thought (with Snow White) the UK Blu Ray misses the Mono but I may be wrong :)

The missing footage is very brief and amounts to only a few seconds.
    It's actually missing sound rather than visual footage.
    It's so long since this issue was reported I've forgotten what was missing .

Edit - dialogue missing for Pinocchio in one scene aswell as some dialogue missing during "Give a Little Whistle".

The UK and US dvd and US Blurays all have it missing.
    Only the UK Bluray is complete.

No idea what happened there .

The UK Blu has unwanted foreign subtitles on the Disc 2 documentary at various spots too although corrected discs were available.

And of course the UK Blu of Sleeping Beauty that was originally supplied with a dvd copy too was deleted as the dvd was pressed with no widescreen flag so the 3 disc was replaced with a 2 disc.

As far as I know Snow White is problem free but mono is not mentioned on the case.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member
    Is "dwarfs" a permitted description of people? I think "vertically-challenged individuals" would be a much fairer description which does not label anyone in a negative way.

Dwarfs/Dwarves is fine in a Tolkien or other fantasy novel when referring to a distinct race of shorter, hardier people who normally prefer to live underground and who are especially skilled in mining. Therefore given that the vertically-challenged individuals in the Snow White book do indeed work in a mine, I guess that does fit in with the positive definition of a dwarf.
  • Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PrinceGaz wrote: »
    Is "dwarfs" a permitted description of people? I think "vertically-challenged individuals" would be a much fairer description which does not label anyone in a negative way.

Dwarfs/Dwarves is fine in a Tolkien or other fantasy novel when referring to a distinct race of shorter, hardier people who normally prefer to live underground and who are especially skilled in mining. Therefore given that the vertically-challenged individuals in the Snow White book do indeed work in a mine, I guess that does fit in with the positive definition of a dwarf.

Hmmm....
    "Snow White and The Seven Vertically Challenged Individuals".
    Doesn't really work ! :D
    Forum Member
    The missing footage is very brief and amounts to only a few seconds.
    It's actually missing sound rather than visual footage.
    It's so long since this issue was reported I've forgotten what was missing .

Edit - dialogue missing for Pinocchio in one scene aswell as some dialogue missing during "Give a Little Whistle".

The UK and US dvd and US Blurays all have it missing.
    Only the UK Bluray is complete.

No idea what happened there .

The UK Blu has unwanted foreign subtitles on the Disc 2 documentary at various spots too although corrected discs were available.

And of course the UK Blu of Sleeping Beauty that was originally supplied with a dvd copy too was deleted as the dvd was pressed with no widescreen flag so the 3 disc was replaced with a 2 disc.

As far as I know Snow White is problem free but mono is not mentioned on the case.

Oh yes I remember now. I did find it odd that was missing on a "restored original theatrical soundtrack". I have the 2003 UK DVD of Pinocchio too which isnt missing that.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Hmmm....
    "Snow White and The Seven Vertically Challenged Individuals".
    Doesn't really work ! :D

My dad refers to the movie as that, except he says "the vertically challenged men" rather than "vertically challenged individuals" I think he just calls it that to wind me up!
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    75 years old this year and its still a wonderful film with beautiful animation, love it
  • Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    I look at early Disney and I look at the modern stuff and I think since full CGI, something in the art of animation has been lost. I know it sounds like I'm a luddite.
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dai13371 wrote: »
    I look at early Disney and I look at the modern stuff and I think since full CGI, something in the art of animation has been lost. I know it sounds like I'm a luddite.

Think its the whole Hand drawn vs computer animation argument. I much prefer hand drawn animation as it seems that a lot more care and effort has gone into it, not to say there is no effort and care involved in computer animation i just prefer hand drawn :)
  • Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    Think its the whole Hand drawn vs computer animation argument. I much prefer hand drawn animation as it seems that a lot more care and effort has gone into it, not to say there is no effort and care involved in computer animation i just prefer hand drawn :)

I feel the same way, although I will not say that Disney's stuff with Pixar, especially Finding Nemo was rubbish, just that it would have been just as good if traditionally animated. Then again, both can work just as well with each other as illustrated by Beauty and the Beast and The Iron Giant.
  • RyJaRyJa Posts: 900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its the first film I ever watched in the cinema (not in 1937 though!)
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it was 1st feature length cartoon but they had previously made several Silly Symphonies.