Impact Wrestling on Spike TV

JCRJCR Posts: 24,028
Forum Member
✭✭✭
edited 25/10/17 - 15:45 in US TV Shows #1
Made a new thread as the old one now has an inaccurate title.

TNA has new UK tv deal!

Comments

• SupportSupport Posts: 70,496
    Administrator
    It is, use the BARB website to get U.K ratings.
      Admin Notice: This thread is a continuation of: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1428726
    • LongBallPleaseLongBallPlease Posts: 2,011
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Uw, a new thread, may as well put something TNA related.

Ticket sales are pretty strong for the Chicago Impact, rumours of a debut of a new wrestler, I heard Goldberg and thought "won't happen".
    • JCRJCR Posts: 24,028
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Goldberg is 46 and wasn't that good a wrestler at his peak 15 years ago. For him to get over you'd have to have him squash everybody, and for him to be squashing wrestlers that are 20 years younger than him hurts the company long term.

None of which means they won't bring him in of course, but it would be nuts.
    • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 161
      Forum Member
      Uw, a new thread, may as well put something TNA related.

Ticket sales are pretty strong for the Chicago Impact, rumours of a debut of a new wrestler, I heard Goldberg and thought "won't happen".

Funny you should mention Goldberg, Hogan recently posted a pic of himself, Sting & Goldberg on twitter.
    • JCRJCR Posts: 24,028
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Mark Madden seems to think Randy Orton will show up sooner or later, he posted:
      Let’s play the What-If Game! It’s loads of fun!

*What if Randy Orton is among those making lots of noise backstage about the preferential treatment received by The Rock, and about The Rock’s swollen physique? I bet Bruno and Dr. Maroon never met The Rock’s pharmacist.

*What if WWE is sick of Orton copping a crap attitude and abusing drugs (performance-enhancing and otherwise)?

*What if WWE is frustrated by Orton’s inability to expand his one-dimensional character? OK, he acts like a snake. What else you got?

*What if WWE feels Orton is past his peak as a performer and draw?

*What if Orton didn’t lose clean to Mark Henry because he’s turning heel and a loss as a babyface won’t matter, but because he’s on his way out of WWE?

*What if Orton gets squashed in the Elimination Chamber?

But wait! There’s more!

*What if Orton shows up on Impact TV in a couple months? He’d fit in perfectly with all the other misfit toys.

The What-If Game! I told you it would be a blast!

Orton is only 3 or so years into a 10 year contract at WWE, though there have been noises that people think he could be released as he may not be considered worth the high salary he's on anymore, given under their wellness policy they're obligated to fire him immediately if he fails again, also meaning it'd be hard for them to push him as a main eventer under these circumstances. He'd have a 90 day no compete clause, so he couldn't show up @ Impact on March 14th.
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      I really hope Orton doesn't go to TNA, I wouldn't mind Christian back, he was over in TNA and probably had some of his best performances in TNA.
    • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,679
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      TNA is almost unwatchable at the moment with all this Aces and Eights crap.

The Hogan/Bully/Sting thing has gotten silly now, hey, guys, try and look at the script for a change.....A&8's trying to take down TNA and what do they do? Paint their faces and wander around yelling "Get the tables!!" .... yeah, ok.

British Bootcamp was a massive flop, the winner was the worst of the crop, none of which had much about them....is that really the best Britain had to offer?

What have they done to the X-Division? It was their best and most unique attraction and now it's dumbed down completely and completely underutilised. RVD, Ion and a few others and thats about it these days....

Loving the Rude/Aeries tag team though, thats worth watching.
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Old.Tallen wrote: »
      TNA is almost unwatchable at the moment with all this Aces and Eights crap.

The Hogan/Bully/Sting thing has gotten silly now, hey, guys, try and look at the script for a change.....A&8's trying to take down TNA and what do they do? Paint their faces and wander around yelling "Get the tables!!" .... yeah, ok.

British Bootcamp was a massive flop, the winner was the worst of the crop, none of which had much about them....is that really the best Britain had to offer?

What have they done to the X-Division? It was their best and most unique attraction and now it's dumbed down completely and completely underutilised. RVD, Ion and a few others and thats about it these days....

Loving the Rude/Aeries tag team though, thats worth watching.

Disagree with everything apart from the X-division and Rude/Aeries comment. I'd push Ion loads, I think he's pretty good, I like Joey Ryan as well.
    • DejaVoodooDejaVoodoo Posts: 5,764
      Forum Member
      TNA has been stuck down in the A&8's angle no doubt. The angle wasn't started that well and the occasion reveals of low card ex WWE talent isn't going to excite many. Maybe it's just me but they seem to lose a lot which isn't the best if your looking to establish the invading force.

The higher power needs to be a fresh big name to TNA. However, I think it will most likely be Eric Bischoff, Jeff Jarrett or Bully Ray.

TNA have really dropped the ball on the X Division. The division needs a fresh overhaul with some new names. They'll probably put Spud in there. I noticed as well that they've released Kid Kash.
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      DejaVoodoo wrote: »
      TNA has been stuck down in the A&8's angle no doubt. The angle wasn't started that well and the occasion reveals of low card ex WWE talent isn't going to excite many. Maybe it's just me but they seem to lose a lot which isn't the best if your looking to establish the invading force.

The higher power needs to be a fresh big name to TNA. However, I think it will most likely be Eric Bischoff, Jeff Jarrett or Bully Ray.

TNA have really dropped the ball on the X Division. The division needs a fresh overhaul with some new names. They'll probably put Spud in there. I noticed as well that they've released Kid Kash.

Kid Kash is well past it, wasn't real mad on him in ECW.
    • ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,389
      Forum Member
      ✭✭

I thought it was really promising at first and I enjoyed it up until Bound For Glory.

Up until then they were running with the idea of them being these vigilante thugs who were breaking into TNA shows and causing mayhem. Yes, we got some amusing moments because of that, like Hulk Hogan telling the Orlando Police Force what to do, but it was mostly done quite well.

But then they won at BFG and got "access" to the Impact Zone. What this actually meant nobody knew and tbh it seems as though they were making it up as they went along, until they decided to build their clubhouse in the building and be a stable who could be booked in matches like any other average joe. As soon as they got access to the Impact Zone, the reveals needed to come thick and fast, as well as their ultimate purpose. But they didn't - from October to January the angle killed itself.

Quite how they're going to pull-off the Aces and Eights having a permanent clubhouse now that they're touring every week, I have no idea. Quite why Hogan doesn't have the power to fire them all but has the power to book them in tables matches, I have no idea. Quite why they made a huge deal about anonymity and yet the past three reveals have been done by A&E themselves with no explanation, once again, I have no idea.

Mind you, I don't think WWE have done much better with The Shield. Another promising vigilante group who soon became average joe members of the roster with little defined purpose and who are going to get buried by the Justice League on Sunday.

Maybe, and I hate to say it, writers just don't know how to book stables anymore...
    • DejaVoodooDejaVoodoo Posts: 5,764
      Forum Member
      Kid Kash is well past it, wasn't real mad on him in ECW.

Not a big fan myself of Kid Kash, but they do seem to be limited in x division guys.
      ags_rule wrote: »
      I thought it was really promising at first and I enjoyed it up until Bound For Glory.

Up until then they were running with the idea of them being these vigilante thugs who were breaking into TNA shows and causing mayhem. Yes, we got some amusing moments because of that, like Hulk Hogan telling the Orlando Police Force what to do, but it was mostly done quite well.

But then they won at BFG and got "access" to the Impact Zone. What this actually meant nobody knew and tbh it seems as though they were making it up as they went along, until they decided to build their clubhouse in the building and be a stable who could be booked in matches like any other average joe. As soon as they got access to the Impact Zone, the reveals needed to come thick and fast, as well as their ultimate purpose. But they didn't - from October to January the angle killed itself.

Quite how they're going to pull-off the Aces and Eights having a permanent clubhouse now that they're touring every week, I have no idea. Quite why Hogan doesn't have the power to fire them all but has the power to book them in tables matches, I have no idea. Quite why they made a huge deal about anonymity and yet the past three reveals have been done by A&E themselves with no explanation, once again, I have no idea.

Mind you, I don't think WWE have done much better with The Shield. Another promising vigilante group who soon became average joe members of the roster with little defined purpose and who are going to get buried by the Justice League on Sunday.

Maybe, and I hate to say it, writers just don't know how to book stables anymore...

I think WWE have done a better job with the Shield than TNA with A&8's. Not a great job, but a better job. They've kindof cooled them off in recent weeks with some of the booking, but so far they've done a good job of adding them into main storylines and have them getting the better of the babyfaces...at least until sunday. (Sheamus or Ryback to lose the match. I'm calling it now). They appear to be more over with the crowd as well.
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      I think WWE have done a better job with the Shield than TNA with A&8's. Not a great job, but a better job. They've kindof cooled them off in recent weeks with some of the booking, but so far they've done a good job of adding them into main storylines and have them getting the better of the babyfaces...at least until sunday. (Sheamus or Ryback to lose the match. I'm calling it now). They appear to be more over with the crowd as well.

Yeah, I'd agree they've done a better job, but part of the reason for that is the downplaying of the angle. Shield debuted as a group who were looking like they were going to be the main focus of the show, whilst as time went on they became, at best, Heyman's lackeys, and at worst, just another stable.

For better or worse (mostly worse), TNA have at least been consistent by pushing A&E as the focus of the show, much like the nWo. Shield aren't anywhere near that scale.
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Tna got a 1 rating this week, are they going to be stuck on 1 forever?
    • Mr RadioMr Radio Posts: 726
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      I started watching TNA in 2006 and since then they have come a hell of a long way. When i first watched it, they had never done an impact or pay per view outside of the impact zone, impact was only 1 hour, they had never done a european tour, the overall production of the show looked small time, there were no big name players, now I see a company that has two hours impact, going on the road full time, regular uk tours and big name players on the roster. I miss the six sided ring and some of the things that brought them to the dance such as the dominance of the x division but I dont miss things like Team Canada, the 3 live kru etc. TNA is much better now than it was in 2006 in my honest opinion. I compare it to early WCW, i enjoyed it in the early days but prefered it as it went on.
    • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Tna got a 1 rating this week, are they going to be stuck on 1 forever?

Now they've moved out of the Impact Zone and are on the road, you need to realistically give them at least 6 months to see if it makes any difference to the rating.
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Mr Radio wrote: »
      I started watching TNA in 2006 and since then they have come a hell of a long way. When i first watched it, they had never done an impact or pay per view outside of the impact zone, impact was only 1 hour, they had never done a european tour, the overall production of the show looked small time, there were no big name players, now I see a company that has two hours impact, going on the road full time, regular uk tours and big name players on the roster. I miss the six sided ring and some of the things that brought them to the dance such as the dominance of the x division but I dont miss things like Team Canada, the 3 live kru etc. TNA is much better now than it was in 2006 in my honest opinion. I compare it to early WCW, i enjoyed it in the early days but prefered it as it went on.

Wasn't TNA in the Asylum at first? Not sure when they moved to the Impact Zone thought. I started watching TNA on The Wrestling Channel, shame The Wrestling Channel couldn't keep going, not sure what year it was but it was when they were in the Asylum and then moved on to Fox for an hour.
    • Mr RadioMr Radio Posts: 726
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      Wasn't TNA in the Asylum at first? Not sure when they moved to the Impact Zone thought. I started watching TNA on The Wrestling Channel, shame The Wrestling Channel couldn't keep going, not sure what year it was but it was when they were in the Asylum and then moved on to Fox for an hour.

The actual show "impact" was never at the asylum i dont think?
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Mr Radio wrote: »
      The actual show "impact" was never at the asylum i dont think?

I never said it was lol, I know it wasn't, it was weekly ppv's at Asylum, then the fox network picked it up, then on to the Impact Zone.
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Interesting to hear TNA commenting about the IOC dropping Wrestling from the Olympics (which is a disgrace btw, one of the original sports), I wouldn't of thought TNA would give a shit but clearly so.

I've always thought Pro-wrestling would make a great Olympic sport, obviously you'd have to work in pairs and the match would be scored similar to how the dance events get scored, cos if you boil it down, pro wrestling is a form of dance imo.
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Looks like Chris Jericho is thinking the same as me, strange as I've thought this for years http://www.cagesideseats.com/2013/2/14/3989512/professional-wrestling-as-an-olympic-sport
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      Looks like Chris Jericho is thinking the same as me, strange as I've thought this for years http://www.cagesideseats.com/2013/2/14/3989512/professional-wrestling-as-an-olympic-sport

Hmmm, it's an interesting argument, certainly.

But, quite aside from the reasons given against it there, I'd have to say there's another reason - the main reason - why I don't think it would work.

Character investment.

If I wanted to see a pure, technically brilliant wrestling match, I could find one from an indy fed in seconds on YouTube.

What separates the very good from the brilliant is everything else - the characters, the feud, the crowd, the moment.

These are things that simply cannot be judged by an Olympic panel.
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      ags_rule wrote: »
      Hmmm, it's an interesting argument, certainly.

But, quite aside from the reasons given against it there, I'd have to say there's another reason - the main reason - why I don't think it would work.

Character investment.

If I wanted to see a pure, technically brilliant wrestling match, I could find one from an indy fed in seconds on YouTube.

What separates the very good from the brilliant is everything else - the characters, the feud, the crowd, the moment.

These are things that simply cannot be judged by an Olympic panel.

I see your point but in dance competitions they're judged on technical ability only, if you want a story you'd go and see a West End show which would probably inpress you more, the same would apply to Pro Wrestling, I've watched single Ring Of Honor matches and been very impressed without knowing any back story.
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      A double Finger Poke Of Doom no sell, quality!
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      The psychollogy in the Aeries Roode match was quality, the fake chair shots were real funny, why aren't TNA getting bigger ratings? It's so much better then WWE imo.