Kenwood K Mix vs Kitchen Aid Artisan

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,773
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Looking for a new stand mixer and really can't decide between these two. Have a feeling I'm being more swayed by aesthetics than function! Anyone got either, and is the stainless steel bowl and pain to keep mark free?

Would get another Magimix but I find them too clunky.

Comments

• petral_galpetral_gal Posts: 1,051
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mum got a Kenwood chef for an engagement pressie over 30 years ago and it works as well today as it did then, so if you want one built to last i'd suggest going Kenwood!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a second hand Kenwood. IMO the attachment ports were a bit difficult to use, and the thing was noisy.
    Then bought a Kitchen Artisan. I went for the dark grey (sort of hammerite) finish as I was worried about the high gloss getting finger prints on it. The stainless steel bowl doesn't get stained if you wash it and then dry it up straight away. The Artisan is much much quieter than the Kenwood, and has easier to use attachments. Also, it just looks so darn good, I keep it out all the time and therefore use it more !

If it helps to make up your mind. Amazon have a special offer on for the white on for only £149.99 at the minute -
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000744SZW/ref=nosim/accessleedsco155-21
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I nearly started this exact same thread back in August! I didn't in the end because I tried a Kenwood Chef in a shop and didn't like how plasticy and light it felt, and got a Kitchen Aid Artisan instead. I absolutely love it! I prefer it as it's heavier and feels more solid.

The bit that really swayed me when I tried them in a shop was that the gears on the Kenwood went smoothly from one to the next and felt a bit flimsy, whereas the Kitchen Aid felt a lot more solid, and you could feel the difference between each speed. It would depend what you're looking for, but I liked that.

I've used my KitchenAid at least once a week since I got it - I've made lots of cakes, but it's also really good for beating up eggwhites, and I've made guacamole in it, and pastry, and ice cream.

That's another thing worth looking at - when I got my KA, there was an offer for a free ice cream maker, which arrived within a week and is really nice, and also you get a free recipe book (a very nice, hardback one) when you send off the guarantee card thing. I don't know whether they're still doing the ice cream maker, but I think the recipe book is standard.

Edit: I agree with LQS - the bowl only looks marked if you touch it lots after washing, or if you don't dry it with a cloth. My KA is out all the time, and it looks fab. I can't remember about the sound on the Kenwood, but the KA is prett quiet.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks both of you, that's really great feedback. :)

The Kenwood KMix has an offer at John Lewis to get a free blender, but if the Kitchenaid fucntions better than I will def go for that.

Thanks for the Amazon tip LQS. I'm a sucker for aesthetics though, and I couldn't have a white one with my almond colour Dualit toaster!

Looking forward to getting it now, especially in peak baking season!
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get a KitchenAid. I've bought my wife one for Christmas and had a play with it.
    It's an absolute thing of beauty, and if they're good enough for Nigella, they're good enough for my very own domestic godess!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get a KitchenAid. I've bought my wife one for Christmas and had a play with it.
    It's an absolute thing of beauty, and if they're good enough for Nigella, they're good enough for my very own domestic godess!

That's so sweet, I think!

LQS mentioned the Thermomix and I want that instead now! Shame it's not as attractive!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately the Amazon deal is for the Classic mixer not the Artisan :( There are differences, I think the capacity is less and the motor isn't as big, which because we wanted to make bread meant we kneaded (ha ha :rolleyes:) the Artisan or the Kenwood.

Considering the Artisan, like you I thought I was being swayed by the aesthetic, but I have to say it's a great mixer. They both are but I knew I'd always be looking at the Kenwood thinking 'it's not as pretty as the Kitchenaid' so we bought the Kitchenaid. Love it, it's beautiful.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Barefoot Contessa uses a Classic, apparently there is not that much difference in capacity. BUT it only comes in white....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love watching the Barefoot Contessa, as much for the Hamptons lifestyle as for the recipes.

LQS, you're right the difference isn't probably that much but Mr Foam makes bread all the time and what he needed was something that he could add a whole 1.2kg bag of flour to and it would have the motor to deal with kneading that amount of dough. The Artisan copes with it but you can hear it really working (it's 300W with a 4.8l bowl to the Classic's 250W/4l bowl).

And as you say it only comes in white, even as I write it I realise they just KNOW that everybody want's the red/blue/cream one and that's why they only do the Classic in white.

Personally the Classic would have done me but somehow we ended up justifying the Artisan (at twice the price) because we'd be making a staple like bread, so we would be actually saving money buying it ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Creamola - I too love the Hampton "lifestyle". is it me, or are all the men including her husband gay ? And what exactly is a heritage tomato - she seems to be very fond of them.
    We too have the artisan but in a sort of dark grey hammerite finish - we bought it in the States for half the price that they come at here. Never mind we had to buy a new suitcase and pay for the extra weight ;)...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LQS wrote: »
    Creamola - I too love the Hampton "lifestyle". is it me, or are all the men including her husband gay ? And what exactly is a heritage tomato - she seems to be very fond of them.
    We too have the artisan but in a sort of dark grey hammerite finish - we bought it in the States for half the price that they come at here. Never mind we had to buy a new suitcase and pay for the extra weight ;)...

I can't believe it, I actually typed that exact line but deleted it because I was rambling on a bit. So no, it's not just you. The agitated florist is my fav.

Thanks for the stuffing suggestion :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LQS wrote: »

Did you have to get the voltage adjusted?
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our Kenwood is getting on for 40 years old, never gone wrong. Go for the metal bowl if you mix pastry.
    Alan
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poppy Seed wrote: »
    Did you have to get the voltage adjusted?

No, as we got a magimix fully automated icecream maker as well, we just bought a step down convertor back in the UK which both units can plug into.