Ideas please for xmas parcels to afghanistan

momma11momma11 Posts: 3,843
Forum Member
✭✭✭
apparently I can only send a shoebox size packet containing xmas gifts to my son serving in afghanistan,there`s a list of things that can`t be sent(on bfpo website) and so am a wee bit stumped as to what to pack,ideas will be gratefully accepted:)

Comments

• molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone posted a link to the mod website the other day - they have a huge list of items to chose from - would be good idea to have a look there.
  • momma11momma11 Posts: 3,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    Someone posted a link to the mod website the other day - they have a huge list of items to chose from - would be good idea to have a look there.

can`t find the list,only the things that can`t be sent,obviously his main presents will be given when he gets back,but was thinking along the lines of novelty items? stuck for ideas though except for moustache wax as he apparently is growing one(with handlebar!)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vinba wrote: »
    Non perishable stuff they can't get out there I suppose. I heard that the food is pretty bland so stuff like Tabasco sauce goes down quite well. Also marmite.

A friend of mine in the army told me that MRE's stood for 'Meals Rejected by Ethiopians'.

good idea,going on the list:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was an article in one of the papers I read recently about people sending presents to the troops (generally, not relating to individual presents from families). They said that the few female soldiers get tons, so they don't need any more girly stuff. They suggested that things like wind-up torches are good; also stuff for flavouring food, as vinba suggests. Also sweets, magazines (apparently NME is popular) and socks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When my then husband was in Bosnia and then Kosovo I used to send him regular 'morale parcels'. Stuff like his favourite sweets, magazines, crisps and biscuits, chocolate. Books are welcomed, as are daft things like pens and paper. Some lads like to keep a tour diary. Brown sauce is a big favourite!

I have been known to decant a plastic bottle of orange cordial and refill it with vodka but that might be frowned upon in Afghanistan.:eek:

Other stuff like baby wipes are handy too.

I know these aren't really great Christmas gifts but he will appreciate them! They're like little parts of home.

LOL @ the moustache - it's a squaddie thing. For some reason whenever they go on tour they hold a competition to see who can grow the best tash. My ex was very dark in complexion and VERY hairy so he usually won!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When my then husband was in Bosnia and then Kosovo I used to send him regular 'morale parcels'. Stuff like his favourite sweets, magazines, crisps and biscuits, chocolate. Books are welcomed, as are daft things like pens and paper. Some lads like to keep a tour diary. Brown sauce is a big favourite!

I have been known to decant a plastic bottle of orange cordial and refill it with vodka but that might be frowned upon in Afghanistan.:eek:

Other stuff like baby wipes are handy too.

I know these aren't really great Christmas gifts but he will appreciate them! They're like little parts of home.

LOL @ the moustache - it's a squaddie thing. For some reason whenever they go on tour they hold a competition to see who can grow the best tash. My ex was very dark in complexion and VERY hairy so he usually won!

LOL,can`t send choc apparently `cos it melts in the heat,can`t send alcohol `cos it`s a muslim country,I like the baby wipes and brown sauce,have to be careful about magazines if they contain pictures of women "in a state of undress" not sure if that means totally nude or wearing underwear,(kind of limits the choice),keep `em coming folks,it all helps,many thanks!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm currently making up some more parcels to send. I posted this link on another thread last week, it gves the address and suggestions what to send.

http://www.supportoursoldiers.co.uk/carepackages.html

Edited to say: the link is for people who want to send parcels to un-named soldiers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    where can we find names of people who would like a box??it says you have to name a person ??
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    where can we find names of people who would like a box??it says you have to name a person ??

You send it direct to SOS and they send it on to a soldier. You can put a note or card in with a message and you may get a reply.

Support Our Soldiers

Operations House

2 Whitley Street

Bingley

BD16 4JH
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nightstar wrote: »
    You send it direct to SOS and they send it on to a soldier. You can put a note or card in with a message and you may get a reply.

Support Our Soldiers

Operations House

2 Whitley Street

Bingley

BD16 4JH

thanks!:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christmas t-shirts! :D

or reindeer antlers or santa hats maybe hehe :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is such a good idea! I don't know anyone posted abroad anymore, but I'm still going to send some parcels to unnamed soldiers, having got the idea from this forum. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If anyone is interested in sending a parcel to a serving soldier here are a few suggestions:

The Maximum Weight for parcels is 2kg. A shoe box for size 6-9 is recommended. Postage has to be paid to send to SOS.

No glass or aerosols will be accepted, neither will alcohol or 'top shelf' magazines. Also no home made cakes or foodstuffs.

Things that go down well are:

Biscuits
    Small wrapped cakes
    Hard sweets/mints (sweets are shared with local children)
    Chewing gum
    Pringles etc
    Salted nuts
    Instant or pot Noodles
    Packet Soups
    Small cartons of juice

Loo paper
    Wet wipes
    Pens
    Puzzle books
    Paperback books
    Playing cards
    Travel size Scrabble etc
    Roll-on deodorant
    Toothbrush
    Toothpaste
    Razors
    Soap
    Travel sizes of toiletries are recommended
    Paracetamol
    Lip balm

I generally send a mix of things as it makes a more useful and nicer package to receive.:)

I know the guys and girls do like to receive a message with the parcel, and it makes it a bit more personal.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    do the boxes have to be either for male or female or can they be mixed??
  • ValLambertValLambert Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When we were collecting were told baby wipes, lip balm (sun factor ones) and chewing gum were like gold dust and a good book or magazine. Are they accepting parcels this year? Last year we were told not to collect as they wouldn't be sent, there was so much stuff only family parcels were going through. I'd love to do it again if I can.

And if you do send something think about the girl soldiers and include some nice smellies. We sent the travel size Arran Aromatics and got a lovley thank you back from a girl in Iraq.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nightstar wrote: »
    If anyone is interested in sending a parcel to a serving soldier here are a few suggestions:

The Maximum Weight for parcels is 2kg. A shoe box for size 6-9 is recommended. Postage has to be paid to send to SOS.

No glass or aerosols will be accepted, neither will alcohol or 'top shelf' magazines. Also no home made cakes or foodstuffs.

Things that go down well are:

Biscuits
    Small wrapped cakes
    Hard sweets/mints (sweets are shared with local children)
    Chewing gum
    Pringles etc
    Salted nuts
    Instant or pot Noodles
    Packet Soups
    Small cartons of juice

Loo paper
    Wet wipes
    Pens
    Puzzle books
    Paperback books
    Playing cards
    Travel size Scrabble etc
    Roll-on deodorant
    Toothbrush
    Toothpaste
    Razors
    Soap
    Travel sizes of toiletries are recommended
    Paracetamol
    Lip balm

I generally send a mix of things as it makes a more useful and nicer package to receive.:)

I know the guys and girls do like to receive a message with the parcel, and it makes it a bit more personal.

thanks for this,plenty of helpful ideas,was going to make him some shortbread but see on your list it`s not allowed,pity that as it`s his fav.
  • ValLambertValLambert Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    do the boxes have to be either for male or female or can they be mixed??

We sent mixed as we were told that most soldiers getting a non personally addressed box share the stuff out anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ValLambert wrote: »
    We sent mixed as we were told that most soldiers getting a non personally addressed box share the stuff out anyway.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    This is a great thread! We were discussing this morning about how to go about writing/ sending packages, not just at Christmas though. Thanks for all the great links and ideas, has been really useful. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    momma11 wrote: »
    thanks for this,plenty of helpful ideas,was going to make him some shortbread but see on your list it`s not allowed,pity that as it`s his fav.

As you're sending it to a family member you will probably be Ok in sending something homemade. Especially as it's his favourite.:)
  • pinkpowerrangerpinkpowerranger Posts: 933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi Momma11 I just seen your post on the Jordan/pete thread and thought I would pop over and give you some ideas. My hubby was in Iraq for Christmas a few years ago. I sent him a few parcels with stuff like christmas cake, mince pies, christmas crackers, football magazines, noodles worcester sauce, goblin steak and kidney puddings (with tin opener) my hubby used to eat them raw!
  • yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think this is such a lovely idea. I don't have many people to buy for at xmas so I'm going to enjoy putting a parcel together. I believe the problem they had last year was that they were inundated with people sending parcels addressed to ''any soldier'' which clogged up the system, so you need to do it via the link on the website. There's a list of local contacts there too whom you can deliver it to rather than to the national address.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Momma11 I just seen your post on the Jordan/pete thread and thought I would pop over and give you some ideas. My hubby was in Iraq for Christmas a few years ago. I sent him a few parcels with stuff like christmas cake, mince pies, christmas crackers, football magazines, noodles worcester sauce, goblin steak and kidney puddings (with tin opener) my hubby used to eat them raw!

many thanks! I`ve got the whole family packing boxes for him and un-named soldiers so even though the boxes are only shoe box size they`re going to get quite a lot,that way more soldiers will benefit(I`ve got 6 children all adults)many thanks to all of you for taking the time to respond,keep `em coming!:D:D:D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to send parcels out to my husband in afghanistan, usually he would ask for curry powder which would spice up any army meal!!

Also biscuits packs of sweets from asda or such you get 3 for £1, magazines, a book, wet wipes are also good.

Also on the one occasion he got me to fill a water bottle with vodka which i was not chuffed about, was already worrying enough about hubby fighting a war never mind being drunk while doing it :D think he asked his brother after that!!!

A lot of the instant meals that you just add water, or the packets you get of tuna.

I think in general anything is really allowed apart from things which are flammable, dangerous or alcohol.

I think whatever it contains the soldiers will be delighted, i have been lucky in that the 6 yrs of service my husband has never been away at christmas but i know friends hubbys who have been away and it is a brilliant morale boost for them :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yorkiegal wrote: »
    I think this is such a lovely idea. I don't have many people to buy for at xmas so I'm going to enjoy putting a parcel together. I believe the problem they had last year was that they were inundated with people sending parcels addressed to ''any soldier'' which clogged up the system, so you need to do it via the link on the website. There's a list of local contacts there too whom you can deliver it to rather than to the national address.

That's a good point. If people are near a contact it will save on postage costs.

Contacts:

http://www.supportoursoldiers.co.uk/contact.html