Pioneer to return to UK TV market

It seems Dixons Retail has secured an exclusive deal to retail Pioneer TV's in the UK. See here. Pioneer left the market around 5 years ago.
Thoughts.....Good? Bad? More competition has to be more good than bad?

Comments

• gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,505
    Forum Member
    Could be a Dixons special for Pioneer to offload a load of old screens the falling market has been unable to absorb?
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,264
    Forum Member
    From the article Quote "Under the agreement the retailer will “source, develop, produce and sell” Pioneer TVs in Europe" UnQuote.
    that could mean almost anything......However, another Quote from another article at ERTonline (HERE), on the same subject states "Dixons has confirmed to ERT that it will be selling LED TVs in three sizes 40, 46 and 55-inches - and that the sets will sport smart functionality and 3D support".
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Could be a Dixons special for Pioneer to offload a load of old screens the falling market has been unable to absorb?

The article actually says:

"Under the agreement the retailer will “source, develop, produce and sell” Pioneer TVs in Europe.

The products will be the first new Pioneer TVs to enter the European market in five years,"

and

"We’re delighted to collaborate with Dixons Retail,” added Yoshihide Beppu.......with their (Dixons) highly respectful approach to the premium positioning of the Pioneer brand, alongside our loyal customer base, we believe this is a winning combination and we’re excited to watch these new products transport customers in to a world of fun,entertainment and interactivity.”
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,329
    Forum Member
    call100 wrote: »
    It seems Dixons Retail has secured an exclusive deal to retail Pioneer TV's in the UK. See here. Pioneer left the market around 5 years ago.
    Thoughts.....Good? Bad? More competition has to be more good than bad?

Pioneer pulled out of TV production and sales world wide, not just the UK.

This is presumably just a deal by Dixons to use the Pioneer name on their cheap crap, in place of Matsui, Saisho, Grundig etc. (although the Grundig deal ended a few years back).

So it's certainly not 'good', and not 'more competition' either, just another cheap badge name.
    Forum Member
    Pioneer pulled out of TV production and sales world wide, not just the UK.

This is presumably just a deal by Dixons to use the Pioneer name on their cheap crap, in place of Matsui, Saisho, Grundig etc. (although the Grundig deal ended a few years back).

So it's certainly not 'good', and not 'more competition' either, just another cheap badge name.

Maybe, but not according to Pioneer....
    Forum Member
    Maybe, but not according to Pioneer....

Where does it say that?, the quotes above all seem to 'state' (in typical ad-speak) that Dixons are simply sourcing cheap crap and badging it.

No where does it suggest that Pioneer have anything to do with the sets, other than selling the name.
    Forum Member
    And offloading their backstock of old screens to be used in these new sets.
    Forum Member
    And offloading their backstock of old screens to be used in these new sets.

Who's old screens?, and why would you imagine they had a backlog of them?.
    Forum Member
    Sorry, I missed the question mark off. If not then why else would Pioneer want to get involved?
    Forum Member
    Sorry, I missed the question mark off. If not then why else would Pioneer want to get involved?

They aren't 'involved' as such, Dixons will simply have given them a big pile of money for the rights to use the name in the UK, similar to deals with JVC, Mitsubishi etc.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Badging" has made many people suspicious.

Bush, used to be a revered name in audio/visual equipment.

I used to have a Bush VHF 64, a quality three speaker valve radio in a walnut cabinet. The envy of my teenage friends, decades ago.

Now the name "Bush" seems to put on any old crap and best avoided.
    Forum Member
    Where does it say that?, the quotes above all seem to 'state' (in typical ad-speak) that Dixons are simply sourcing cheap crap and badging it.

No where does it suggest that Pioneer have anything to do with the sets, other than selling the name.

From the ERT link......
    "Yoshihide Beppu, business planning director of Pioneer Home Electronics Corporation: “We’re delighted to collaborate with Dixons Retail. With our unparalleled reputation for cutting-edge technology and sophisticated designs, we know these technologically advanced high-end TVs have a unique place within the market"
    :rolleyes:
    Don't shoot the messenger....;):D

Forum Member
    From the ERT link......
    "Yoshihide Beppu, business planning director of Pioneer Home Electronics Corporation: “We’re delighted to collaborate with Dixons Retail. With our unparalleled reputation for cutting-edge technology and sophisticated designs, we know these technologically advanced high-end TVs have a unique place within the market"
    :rolleyes:
    Don't shoot the messenger....;):D

I read that, it's just ad-speak, and doesn't even make any suggestion that they have anything to do with the sets.

I'll run it through google translate for you: :p
    “We’re delighted to collaborate with Dixons Retail.

(we're delighted to a get a big lump of money for doing nothing)

With our unparalleled reputation for cutting-edge technology and sophisticated designs, we know these technologically advanced high-end TVs have a unique place within the market"

(We're just waffling yet saying nothing, and hope that Dixons will continue to pay us heaps of money for using our name)
  • Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    I read that, it's just ad-speak, and doesn't even make any suggestion that they have anything to do with the sets.

I'll run it through google translate for you: :

“We’re delighted to collaborate with Dixons Retail.

(we're delighted to a get a big lump of money for doing nothing)

With our unparalleled reputation for cutting-edge technology and sophisticated designs, we know these technologically advanced high-end TVs have a unique place within the market".

(We're just waffling yet saying nothing, and hope that Dixons will continue to pay us heaps of money for using our name)

Looks like your translator has gone tits up......:p
    Pioneer to start making tv's again...Pioneer has announced that it'll re-enter the TV market as an exclusive brand for Dixons after it completely stopped making them in 2010. Unfortunately for fans of the sublime Kuro plasma displays, the company will only make 1080P LED models in 40-, 46- and 55-inch sizes. They'll get 3D and Smart TV capability along with a wide range of connection options, including HDMI, USB and WiFi.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/11/11/pioneer-to-start-building-tvs-again-but-not-plasmas/?ncid=rss_truncated
    Forum Member

I'll run it through google translate for you: :p

Nigel, stop digging.............You are in deep enough. :D
    Seriously though.......It's time to wait for the reviews.....:)
    Forum Member
    My take on things looking like it has more legs ...
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deacon1972 wrote: »

As I have a "sublime Kuro plasma display" I'll not be rushing to purchase anything they manufacture today. ;)
    Forum Member
    Nigel, stop digging.............You are in deep enough. :D
    Seriously though.......It's time to wait for the reviews.....:)

I just can't believe anyone would fall for the blatant advertising rubbish? :p and just invent what they want to hear from something that suggested no such thing.
    Forum Member
    I just can't believe anyone would fall for the blatant advertising rubbish? :p and just invent what they want to hear from something that suggested no such thing.

One would only be falling for it if one purchased said TV's without awaiting reviews.:rolleyes:
    I'm guessing it's just your age that brings out the curmudgeon.:p
    It wouldn't suggest anything to you as you are now entrenched and unable to argue any other point.
    Best we wait and see, possibly you may be right, but, as we have no idea, whatsoever, if they will be good or bad sets without seeing one, your point is extremely mute.:)
    Forum Member
    One would only be falling for it if one purchased said TV's without awaiting reviews.:rolleyes:
    I'm guessing it's just your age that brings out the curmudgeon.:p
    It wouldn't suggest anything to you as you are now entrenched and unable to argue any other point.
    Best we wait and see, possibly you may be right, but, as we have no idea, whatsoever, if they will be good or bad sets without seeing one, your point is extremely mute.:)

Like I said, I just can't believe you've fallen for the marketing hype? - no where in that article does it make the slightest suggestion that Pioneer will have anything to do with the sets that Dixons will be marketing.

Perhaps you would care to point out where you gained that impression from?.

As for 'entrenched' - I simply read what the article actually 'said', and not what people might have 'liked it to have said'. There's plenty of historical precedent, and every one has been exactly as I've suggested.

It's pointless waiting for 'reviews', which are just more advertising spin - we need to know who is making the sets, which presumably will just be badged from Dixons existing suppliers?.
  • pavierpavier Posts: 838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought the article was quite clear and unambiguous

"Under the agreement the retailer will “source, develop, produce and sell” Pioneer TVs in Europe."
  • 1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like I said, I just can't believe you've fallen for the marketing hype? - no where in that article does it make the slightest suggestion that Pioneer will have anything to do with the sets that Dixons will be marketing.

As for 'entrenched' - I simply read what the article actually 'said', and not what people might have 'liked it to have said'. There's plenty of historical precedent, and every one has been exactly as I've suggested.

It's pointless waiting for 'reviews', which are just more advertising spin - we need to know who is making the sets, which presumably will just be badged from Dixons existing suppliers?.
    I don't always agree with Nigel but I'm 100% behind him on this one. "Under the agreement the retailer [Dixons] will source, develop, produce and sell” Pioneer TVs in Europe.". I'm not sure all those words in bold are needed but hey, it's a press release!

I think Pioneer's input is clearly minimal - here's a JPEG of our branding, here's a template for our instruction brochure and off you go. If Dixons is doing the sourcing, developing and producing that doesn't leave much for Pioneer to do! Perhaps they will sample test them as part of the licensing fees but they're not just going to open a TV factory for Dixons. The second article is just a badly-worded rewrite of the press release.

That's not to say that the TVs won't be good TVs. Just that Pioneer won't be making them.
    Forum Member
    1andrew1 wrote: »
    That's not to say that the TVs won't be good TVs.

But the chances are VERY high that they will be cheap poor TV's, probably made by the same factories (and identical to) Matsui etc.

Have Dixons EVER badged a decent quality TV? - with the exception perhaps of the Ferguson TX100 sets, where the boss of Dixons was trying to get himself a knighthood.
  • 1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's the press releasefrom which all the articles are written. One of the key bullet points is "Dixons Retail to manage the full supply chain from sourcing to selling"
    They will be sold in Nordic countries from December with the aim to bring to the UK ilater.
    http://www.dixonsretail.com/system/files/press/Pioneer%20Dixons.pdf
    Forum Member

No one's fallen for anything...You should really read what is written and not rely entirely on your thinking....
    I would say that the quote from Yoshihide Beppu indicates that Pioneer will be involved in the enterprise....Unlike some badging exercises the original company in not defunct and has a reputation to keep, so maybe, perhaps, possibly (getting the idea?) the sets may, might, could be half decent.
    You really are getting in a flap Nigel. It's not really important, but, you must calm down a little bit. Try reading the posts properly, take a deep breath. You've been locked away in that repair shop for far too long....;)