wreck it ralph

mizhogmizhog Posts: 970
Forum Member
✭✭
just watched this...thought it was excellent. its so creative, these animation films are a work of art i think.anyone else seen it?

Comments

• thorrthorr Posts: 2,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Totally agree and my 5 yr old son does too!
  • blitzben85blitzben85 Posts: 3,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw it Friday evening after work and enjoyed it. A good mix of classic game and made up ones too. Shame Dr Robotnik didn't talk though :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My kids loved it, shamefully the three adults with them all fell asleep ;-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a truly disappointing film.

no doubt kids will enjoy it - and there's much for them to enjoy - but the film misleads with its promise of retro gaming memories.

This is not a film that caters to gamers. It briefly nods to games of old, before moving on into sickenly saccharine territory; so much so that diabetics should avoid at all cost.

The sad truth is that there's probably more candy product placement in this film than there is regarding gaming.
    And just when Sarah Silverman couldn't get any more grating, she supplies one of the most irritating voices to grace an animated character.

It's good enough to keep the kids happy at half term, but by no means a Disney classic.

Review here.
  • BlurayBluray Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved it.
    Very charming and something for everyone.

US Blu-ray ordered, should have it in a week or two.

Brilliant!!!
  • NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    I am just back from seeing it, I thought it was great!

I only noticed one sweetie milky product placement, but it was funny! The rest seemed to be generic sweeties

There were few moments in the film where a few youngsters got a bit upset, could hear a bit of upset, but being a big softy I had a wee tear in my eye too. It had emotion, heart, action and fun, was a good journey.

Half the film was boyish, half was a bit girly, the main baddie was quite nasty, which was good. In my opinion and my eldest daughters opinion it was the best animated film since toy story 3. The short before it had the makings of a classic too.

10/10 I will be getting the dvd!

Nice seeing some old game characters too from my teens! That was a bonus!

I don't usually have much enthusiasm about these type of films, but this one was smashing.

In no way was I expecting a full on retro gaming trip down memory lane, I did however think of it as a trip through the ages of arcade gaming and how things have progressed, it was a bit nostalgic as an aside. The story was very good, I like rooting for misfits and underdogs :)

Edit, it was my four year olds first trip to the cinema and she was in awe, magic!
  • Toy_HeroToy_Hero Posts: 11,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just finished watching it. Absolutely loved it. I really enjoyed the concept of the film. Unlike the poster above, I loved Sarah Silverman in it. I think she was the perfect voice casting and I get why the character was written for her. Also really enjoyed Jane Lynch as well.

I'm not one for animation but I thought this was fantastic. 9/10 for me :).
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,577
    Forum Member
    What a truly disappointing film.

no doubt kids will enjoy it - and there's much for them to enjoy - but the film misleads with its promise of retro gaming memories.

This is not a film that caters to gamers. It briefly nods to games of old, before moving on into sickenly saccharine territory; so much so that diabetics should avoid at all cost.

The sad truth is that there's probably more candy product placement in this film than there is regarding gaming.
    And just when Sarah Silverman couldn't get any more grating, she supplies one of the most irritating voices to grace an animated character.

It's good enough to keep the kids happy at half term, but by no means a Disney classic.

Review here.

Completely agree, thought it started off great, but soon turned into a treacly mess.my 9 year old managed to have a kip half way through!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 192
    Forum Member
    Really enjoyed this, such a clever film.
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nick Grimshaw is a voice in the film, isn't he? I briefly heard him talking about it on his show.
  • xenosysxenosys Posts: 1,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent film, and as I was born in the 80s, the computer-game references really added to overall appeal. I just wish there would have been a few more in there for good measure.

I do agree with some views that it started off great, but after about 30 odd minutes, it all tailed off a little and became your typical animated Disney film. Lots of potential to be better, but still an enjoyable movie.
  • LandslideBradLandslideBrad Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    I can't believe I cried twice at this film, smh, I kind of hope there's a game based on this film.
  • LandslideBradLandslideBrad Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    If Felix hit the glitch girl with his hammer, would she have been fixed?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    Nick Grimshaw is a voice in the film, isn't he? I briefly heard him talking about it on his show.

Apparently, it appears to be a UK only thing, so you'll have someone different if you see in the US and perhaps another local personality if you see in Australia...
  • caz06caz06 Posts: 848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the best part of this film was the marching oreos hahaha :D:D:D "oreo - ORR EE OOHH" loved it
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Apparently, it appears to be a UK only thing, so you'll have someone different if you see in the US and perhaps another local personality if you see in Australia...

Ah I see. Thanks :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Started off well, trailed off in the middle and picked up a little bit towards the end. End credits are quite retro, though!
  • Benry_GaleBenry_Gale Posts: 1,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The film is absolutely fantastic. Dips slightly in the middle, as Gilbertoo said, but ends fantastically. The little moments are what makes the film, the villains anonymous meeting, the oreos marching, etc.
  • ShizukuShizuku Posts: 2,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was briliant! Loved the concept and trying to get all the video game, movie and pop culture references. Thought Sarah Silverman was fantastic as Glitch Girl, loved the whole animation design. Was clearly a labour of love for all involved, great stuff.
  • ben8936ben8936 Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    i think it is the 2nd best movie ever its brilliant
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    I've seen this film twice now, it is just brilliant. The concept was great, characters and their respective voice actors were all very likable, the animation brilliantly colourful and vivid to compliment some very creative and imaginative imagery, and so much fast-paced fun to be had. And with so many game and movie references in there as well as little touches added to the designs, I think it's going to be one of those films that you can watch again and find something you missed last time. And the short film at the start, "Paperman", was simply beautiful. I highly recommend it.
  • kyresakyresa Posts: 16,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved it :) Will be buying the blu ray :)
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,685
    Forum Member
    caz06 wrote: »
    the best part of this film was the marching oreos hahaha :D:D:D "oreo - ORR EE OOHH" loved it

That made me laugh as well :D:D
    I enjoyed it, the references to classic and retro games made me smile :) I thought: Wreck it Ralph = Donkey Kong, Fix it Felix = Jumpan/Mario, but halfway through it got a bit too saccharine for its own good - the candy world reminded me of the sweet level on Zool on the Mega Drive/SNES, and briefly
    Rainbow Road from Mario Kart
    Some nice nods to retro games and how things have progressed - the Hero's Duty bounty hunter was a clear nod to the modern design of Samus from Metroid Prime imo, and
    I did like the twist where King Candy was really an evil glitching Turbo Tastic from his own old game - but the ending didnt make any sense - King Candy made the girl glitch but she said she's happy being like that :confused: Even though the game could break?

3.5/5
    The end credits were great too :D
    Ralph on the Street Fighter bonus stage smashing the car, LOL
    :D

But the best part for me was the beautifully touching, wordless animation, 'Paperman' at the start. Beautiful :(
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    That made me laugh as well :D:D
    I enjoyed it, the references to classic and retro games made me smile :) I thought: Wreck it Ralph = Donkey Kong, Fix it Felix = Jumpan/Mario, but halfway through it got a bit too saccharine for its own good - the candy world reminded me of the sweet level on Zool on the Mega Drive/SNES, and briefly
    Rainbow Road from Mario Kart
    Some nice nods to retro games and how things have progressed - the Hero's Duty bounty hunter was a clear nod to the modern design of Samus from Metroid Prime imo, and
    I did like the twist where King Candy was really an evil glitching Turbo Tastic from his own old game - but the ending didnt make any sense - King Candy made the girl glitch but she said she's happy being like that :confused: Even though the game could break?

3.5/5
    The end credits were great too :D
    Ralph on the Street Fighter bonus stage smashing the car, LOL
    :D

But the best part for me was the beautifully touching, wordless animation, 'Paperman' at the start. Beautiful :(
    Her code was put back when the game reset so that she could be playable but she retained her glitching ability, I imagine the player would see it as a ability rather than a glitch

I did like Paperman, can see future Disney films in that style of animation.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,685
    Forum Member
    BTW, the guy who did King Candy's voice was doing an impression of Ed Wynn, thats why I thought he sounded familliar :o