Films not often seen.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 799
Forum Member
✭✭
The Snake Pit 1948. Anatole Litvak.
All The Kings Men 1949. Robert Rossen.
A Face In The Crowd 1957. Elia Kazan.
The Cranes Are Flying 1957. D Mikhail. (USSR)
I'd love to see these films once more, but they rarely come up on TV. Anyone else have lists like this?

Comments

• Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    A little known science fiction movie from the early 70s called Colossus: The Forbin Project. Very good movie about the US military building a supercomputer inside a mountain, which is designed to protect the US from a Soviet attack. When it's switched on it discovers it has a counterpart in Russia with similar programming so they both decided to work together....
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope, if there's a film I want to see chances are i'd be able to buy it, rent it, download it or borrow it. I'd never wait for TV to show a film I want to see.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A little known science fiction movie from the early 70s called Colossus: The Forbin Project. Very good movie about the US military building a supercomputer inside a mountain, which is designed to protect the US from a Soviet attack. When it's switched on it discovers it has a counterpart in Russia with similar programming so they both decided to work together....

It’s available cheaply on a rather good DVD.

Michael Mann’s The Keep - Unavailable on DVD and rarely screened on TV and that goes for all the following: William Cameron Menzies’ The Maze, Ib Melchior’s The Time Travelers and William Castle’s Project X (this one recently released on blu-ray and DVD).
  • mintchocchipmintchocchip Posts: 16,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mute Witness.
  • U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Come and See.
    Themroc.
    Night Of The Generals.
    Mad Max 1.
    Sophie Scholl.
    Time Out.

All awesome films.But they'd rather show The Day After Tomorrow 10 times a year.:mad:
  • FrankJaegerFrankJaeger Posts: 346
    Forum Member
    The 1986 Sean Connery film The Name of the Rose was on BBC One last night.

First time I've ever seen it on TV. Good film too.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mute Witness.

I remember that. Didn't it have Faye Ripley in it? Another one from around the mid-nineties is Death and the Maiden
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zardoz :D
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are so many, esp from the 70s/early 80s. All the below were pretty high profile films with big names and yet all but vanished in terms of TV

Movie Movie
    Juggernaut
    All the Marbles
    Twilights Last Gleaming
    The End
    Hooper
    City Heat
    Sharky's Machine
    Seems Like Old Times
    Foul Play
    The Electric Horseman
    Butch and Sundance: The Early Days

loads more where they came from.
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    Straker wrote: »
    It’s available cheaply on a rather good DVD.

Michael Mann’s The Keep - Unavailable on DVD and rarely screened on TV and that goes for all the following: William Cameron Menzies’ The Maze, Ib Melchior’s The Time Travelers and William Castle’s Project X (this one recently released on blu-ray and DVD).

Thanks for that.

The Time Travellers - now there's a blast from the past! Last time I saw that was on telly in the 70s
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mike65 wrote: »
    Juggernaut

That’s on reasonably often.
    Twilights Last Gleaming

Excellent film and just about to be released on blu-ray and DVD in the States.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Time Travellers - now there's a blast from the past! Last time I saw that was on telly in the 70s

Yes, I’m sure it was that long ago as well. I imagine the broadcasters reckon that the end of the film, where they basically re-run the previous hour or so at high speed, would look silly to a modern audience but it’s so bonkers and unique that it is compellingly weird just for that reason.

Another that’s rarely shown is Mario Bava’s quite brilliant Danger: Diabolik. Available on DVD for ages but rarely screened on TV it’s a true pop-art masterpiece complete with Terry-Thomas and a fantastic Ennio Morricone score - What more could you wish for?!
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    That’s on reasonably often.

Must be on SKY Movies or TCM certainly not been on FTA for as long as I can recall.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Must be on SKY Movies or TCM certainly not been on FTA for as long as I can recall.

I don’t have Sky or TCM but I recall seeing it in Radio Times on one of the FTA channels (BBC1 IIRC) now and again. I’m sure there’s a website that keeps track of how often these things are on.
  • Ian K McIan K Mc Posts: 326
    Forum Member
    Thanks for that.

I wish someone would release that on DVD. Its ending is very interesting indeed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eric Braeden and Susan Clark gave a good account of the role. Although the studios gave a green light to a remake in 2007, to be directed by Ron Howard, the script is going through a rewrite with reportedly Will Smith in the role.
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the effect of gamma rays on man in the moon marigolds
    the return of captain invincible
    the yellow rolls royce
    grande hotel
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...colossus is actually a trilogy of novels. only 1st one any good. other 2 are unbelievable crap ......
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    not seen any rin tin tin on tv recently ....... he was a much better actor than lassie .....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DariaM wrote: »
    ...the script is going through a rewrite with reportedly Will Smith in the role.

He’s on a one-man mission to ruin the memory of every good SF film ever made seemingly.

Yellow Rolls Royce has been on TCM/TNT about two thousand times in the last 20 years.
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the reminder about The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man -in-the-moon Marigolds. I thought nobody else had seen that.

A good one also is I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love and Pain and the Whole Damn Thing .

haven't seen that since the 80's .
  • JumbobonesJumbobones Posts: 1,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good Burger hasn't been on for years
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for that.

It's on YouTube: you can watch it all day if you want.:)
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Light up the Sky
    Kronos
    Death Watch (La Mort en Direct)
    Tobor the Great