Arctic Monkeys - AM

Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Out next Monday but it's leaked and it's also streaming. Fantastic album, genuinely don't think there's a bad song on it. Yet another variation in sound for them too. "Arabella" is just stunning.

Comments

• JFDonaghyJFDonaghy Posts: 976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    theres probably no songs on there that would squeeze its way into my top 5 songs of theirs but as an album, front to back i think it might end up becoming my favourite album of theirs.

only been a few days since the leak but i've been listening to it at least twice a day.
    not something i can do is play an album daily and repeatedly during that day without feeling like wearing it out after a few days but this had alot of replay value.
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    I've only had chance to listen all the way through a couple of times but sounding superb so far. Imo Britain's best band.
  • constantino_chrconstantino_chr Posts: 673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Their debut is one of my favourite songs of all time and honestly, I've been really disappointed with every album since...
    However, AM has delivered massively!!!

IMO This could be their best album yet!!!
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Their debut is one of my favourite songs of all time and honestly, I've been really disappointed with every album since...

Same here. I wouldn't say i've been disappointed with subsequent albums but they are nowhere near as good and have dropped in quailty each time (imo). Perhaps I just loved the initial album sound/style and wanted more. But then again that could get boring and it's good for bands to progress and develop.

Saying that though, i'm in no rush for the new album. Will just wait until it's readily available
  • constantino_chrconstantino_chr Posts: 673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

*ALBUMS whoops!!:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I thought half of it was pretty bad... the best songs were the singles plus Mad Sounds and No. 1 Party Anthem.

Worst songs have to be 'One For the Road' and 'Knee Socks'

Josh Homme is a bad influence :o
    Forum Member

According to the NME it could even be the best album of the last 10 years :D Whilst I think they are typically going a bit overboard with the Monkeys praise this is shaping up to be arguably their best album yet. And to be fair to the NME their metacritic score so far is pretty darn impressive (77 from 12 critic reviews so far but obviously will rise when the NME review is included :D)
    Arctic Monkeys’ fifth record is absolutely and unarguably the most incredible album of their career. It might also be the greatest record of the last decade. It’s not, however, the work of a band operating at their absolute peak – that’s yet to come. It’s the work of a band still growing, still fine-tuning, still learning and still experimenting; a band who will not look back on this record as a career high, but as the moment they stopped being defined by genre and instead became artists. Not a rock band, definitely not an indie band, but artists. Think Bowie, think The Beatles, think Stevie Wonder and think Bob Dylan. From this point on, Arctic Monkeys can do whatever they want, sound however they like, and always be Arctic Monkeys. But that’s all for another day, sometime in their stupidly bright future. For now, we should celebrate this record for what it is – 41 minutes and 57 seconds of near perfection.

10/10

http://www.nme.com/reviews/arctic-monkeys/14752
  • bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    I like Why Do You Only Call Me When Your High so I'll prob give the album a listen when I can.
    Forum Member
    This reviewer is just 16 years of age. Astonishing talent.

http://whatculture.com/music/arctic-monkeys-am-review.php
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's a great album. Obviously not everyone agrees, but I don't think Arctic Monkeys have put a foot wrong yet. They've made five very individual albums by now; it's not every band that makes the effort to grow and expand their sound every time. And it's definitely far from every band that still manages so vital, and with so many more places left to explore, by album number 5. They don't tread water and they don't mind doing exactly what people don't expect/want from them.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,911
    Forum Member
    I haven't listened to the stream or any of the leaks, I've only heard Why'd You Only Call Me When You're High and Do I Wanna Know? but it's very likely that AM will be in my album collection before long. I have everything else that they've ever released.

I'm listening to Suck It And See at the moment. It's such a great album! They get better with each one. :) I'd love to see them live at some point. I tried to get tickets for their show in London next month with no success. I'm hoping for extra tickets to be released nearer the time.
  • lionsof66lionsof66 Posts: 4,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Left for work early today to pick this up on the way... sold out.

So after work (11pm) I drove to the 24 hour Tesco megastore we have... sold out!

Unbelievable. Purposely ignored all the leaks and stuff, as nothing quite beats hearing the quality of an album for the first time, but I've given in now, and settled for listening to it on Spotify. 6 Tracks in, and it's a belter so far. Arabella will be huge, what a song! And Do I Wanna Know was already my favorite single of the year so far.

I remember a lot of people claiming Arctic Monkeys wouldn't be remembered in 10 years time, when they first burst onto the scene with what, in my opinion, is still the best album released this millenium. 5 albums down, where are those people now? Only Humbug doesn't stand up to the other 4 in my opinion, and even then, it's still a decent album, just not quite as strong as the others.
    Forum Member
    lionsof66 wrote: »

So after work (11pm) I drove to the 24 hour Tesco megastore we have... sold out!

Unbelievable. Purposely ignored all the leaks and stuff, as nothing quite beats hearing the quality of an album for the first time, but I've given in now, and settled for listening to it on Spotify. 6 Tracks in, and it's a belter so far. Arabella will be huge, what a song! And Do I Wanna Know was already my favorite single of the year so far.

I remember a lot of people claiming Arctic Monkeys wouldn't be remembered in 10 years time, when they first burst onto the scene with what, in my opinion, is still the best album released this millenium. 5 albums down, where are those people now? Only Humbug doesn't stand up to the other 4 in my opinion, and even then, it's still a decent album, just not quite as strong as the others.

My mate gave them 12 months max. And now him and his missus are coming with us to see them in November :D

Arctic Monkeys - Proving the naysayers wrong since 2006! :p

PS Very encouraging about the sold outs. I do think things have transpired perfectly for this album to be a pretty big seller. Olympics closing ceremony, incredible Glasto headlining gig, release of more mainstream-sounding singles that have really stuck around on the singles chart unlike previous ones, then the release of arguably their best album.
    Forum Member
    Forgot to say, the MP3 download is just £5 at 7digital. No idea why folk pay iTunes prices, frankly.
    Forum Member
    konebyvax wrote: »
    My mate gave them 12 months max. And now him and his missus are coming with us to see them in November :D

Arctic Monkeys - Proving the naysayers wrong since 2006! :p

PS Very encouraging about the sold outs. I do think things have transpired perfectly for this album to be a pretty big seller. Olympics closing ceremony, incredible Glasto headlining gig, release of more mainstream-sounding singles that have really stuck around on the singles chart unlike previous ones, then the release of arguably their best album.

Early days but so far looking very good

Album: AM (iTunes)
    #1 United Kingdom
    #1 Argentina
    #1 Australia
    #1 Belgium
    #1 Brazil
    #1 Bulgaria
    #1 Chile
    #1 Czech Republic
    #1 Hong Kong
    #1 Hungary
    #1 Ireland
    #1 Israel
    #1 Latvia
    #1 Lithuania
    #1 Luxembourg
    #1 Papua New Guinea
    #1 Paraguay
    #1 Poland
    #1 Portugal
    #1 Romania
    #1 Russia
    #1 Singapore
    #1 Slovenia
    #1 South Africa
    #1 Thailand
    #2 Austria
    #2 Brunei Darussalam
    #2 Colombia
    #2 Denmark
    #2 Ecuador
    #2 France
    #2 Greece
    #2 Indonesia
    #2 Italy
    #2 Malaysia
    #2 Mexico
    #2 Netherlands
    #2 Norway
    #2 Philippines
    #2 Spain
    #2 Switzerland
    #2 Turkey
    #2 Ukraine
    #3 Finland
    #3 Germany
    #3 Guatemala
    #3 Namibia
    #3 New Zealand
    #3 Peru
    #4 United States
    #4 Canada
    #4 Dominican Republic
    #4 Malta
    #4 Sweden
    #5 Costa Rica
    #5 Venezuela
    #6 Armenia
    #6 Taiwan
    #8 Slovakia
    #11 India
    #13 Japan
    #14 Panama
    #18 Kazakhstan
    #22 El Salvador
    #28 Belarus
    #37 Estonia
    #58 Cyprus
  • Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty relieved that it's selling well in Papua New Guinea ;)

I've listened to it loads now, a lot more than I normally would a brand new album, it has tonnes of instant replay value. Absolutely love it. I don't think they've ever really done anything bad though but since 2006 they've done five top quality albums (not to mention the EP and tonnes of quality B-sides) and Alex has done Last Shadow Puppets and the Submarine EP too. That's a pretty good effort for 7 years, especially for it all to be consistently good.

I still think Arabella is my favourite but the rest is amazing too. Can't wait to see the new tunes live at the beginning of November now.
    Forum Member
    I agree on Arabella but I'm going against the herd and saying that riff is lifted from Bad Company and not Black Sabbath (unfortunately I'm old enough to remember both on release lol).

PS Getting to #1 in Papua New guinea probably involves selling one copy a day lol.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    No. 1 Party Anthem and Snap Out of It are the best in my view
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found most of this album boring and flat but then I've never really been a fan. I'll be sticking to Slave Vows for my retro guitar riffage :).
  • my name is joemy name is joe Posts: 4,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lionsof66 wrote: »

i still prefer not to know how an album will sound until iv'e bought it and put it on, that's the discovery moment isn't it?

after one listen i think it'll be their best yet.

it seems there will always be people who think their debut album is their best but they're wrong twice now:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smudged wrote: »
    I found most of this album boring and flat but then I've never really been a fan. I'll be sticking to Slave Vows for my retro guitar riffage :).
    I realise that sentence is too harsh lol. Flat is the wrong word actually, it does have a swagger about it. It's another competent album but I think I just prefer something more angular and unpredictable and less polished. I've never been able to get excited by this band but I can see why they're popular.
  • Green_StampGreen_Stamp Posts: 507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Smudged wrote: »

It is once you've listened to the first four songs of AM. It then just becomes a blur of tedious bland noise and nothing worthy of notable mention.
    Forum Member
    Been playing this album pretty much non-stop since it started streaming (and now bought the download). I've been a big fan since the very early days and imo this is their best yet. Living in California seems to suit them (who'd have thought such a thing in 2006?)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is once you've listened to the first four songs of AM. It then just becomes a blur of tedious bland noise and nothing worthy of notable mention.
    I did qualify my statement, but yes I do find most of the songs cover the same territory. I would like to hear them do something a bit more "out there" but I won't hold my breath.
  • Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find it strange that some people have effectively said that after the first four songs they're all the same, it's after the first four where I think it gets quite varied. You've got almost glam rock (I Want it All), a Lennon-esque ballad (No1 Party Anthem), an almost lullaby (Mad Sounds), a very catchy poppy tune (Snap Out of It) etc etc but all with unmistakeably Alex Turner lyrics. I think they're all quite different.

The more I listen to it the better it gets.What a great start to September we've had, this and a great album from Babyshambles too.