Can you drive after general anesthesia?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,456
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Im going into Hospital this week for a really minor operation but I am having to go under general anesthesia, my question is how bad are you likely to feel afterwards? Getting to the hospital is a short drive on a dual carriageway to me, but going via public transport is long, arduous and not going to be fun on the way home with a sore wound that has just been operated on. Ideally I would like to drive, and no one else I know can drive me, but I would like to know if it would be okay if I drove with a friend in the car also looking out for the road (its a very basic drive, maybe 4 turns the entire time)

Comments

• annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    if it`s day surgery don`t even attempt it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, not on the day of surgery. Get a mini cab home.
  • Miriams SisterMiriams Sister Posts: 7,967
    Forum Member
    I felt wobbly after minor day surgery, and faint where I hadn't been able to eat.
  • Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    The hospital should advise you that you shouldn't drive for 24hrs after anaesthetic
  • KaylanKaylan Posts: 1,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would advise against it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They also say that you shouldn't be left alone for 24 hours after...you shouldn't boil a kettle or stuff like that....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    They will advise you not to drive for at least 24hrs and as you say it's a quick trip with only 4 turns via the dual carriageway so go far a taxi. Also should you have an accident even if it's not your fault. your insurance may be invalidated since you're driving against medical advice (though perhaps a stretch for the insurance company to find out about the op)
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im going into Hospital this week for a really minor operation but I am having to go under general anesthesia, my question is how bad are you likely to feel afterwards? Getting to the hospital is a short drive on a dual carriageway to me, but going via public transport is long, arduous and not going to be fun on the way home with a sore wound that has just been operated on. Ideally I would like to drive, and no one else I know can drive me, but I would like to know if it would be okay if I drove with a friend in the car also looking out for the road (its a very basic drive, maybe 4 turns the entire time)

That would have to be a very good friend. :)
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Firstly, no - don't even think about driving.
    Secondly - if you were to have a friend in the car to look out for you, have they passed their driving test? If not - no, it's not safe; if so - get them to drive you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    No.

Taxi.

The hospital should have given you a flyer along these lines ....

http://www.oxfordeyehospital.nhs.uk/documents/leaflets/generalanaesthetic.pdf
  • ::Adam::::Adam:: Posts: 7,223
    Forum Member
    Do not driver after an opertation, to be honest i would leave it a few days!
  • lalalandlalaland Posts: 11,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd certainly advise against it.

As well as considering the safety aspects of it you could also be arrested for Driving whilst unfit through drink or drugs which could see you facing similar punishments to those carried with drink driving.

And it's worth pointing out that the drugs don't have to be classed as illegal substances for someone to commit this offence, any drug that you have taken, legal, prescribed or otherwise, can lead to your arrest.

Don't do it :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

NO!!!!
    Don't even think about it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't decide whether you're selfish or stupid to risk not only your own life but your friends life and that of other innocent people on the road, or more probably on the pavement if you're going to conk out at the wheel. If he or she were any kind of friend then they'd pay for a taxi (if you're skint).

What about the back of cough medicines? Even childrens ones that warn about feeling drowsy as a side affect, you're having a general anesthetic fgs.
  • mr.ianmr.ian Posts: 4,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You should be banned from driving for just thinking about it never mind asking.

Idiot.
  • Rugby RoseRugby Rose Posts: 13,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, it's not safe, not the same day. You won't be with it for quite some time after the operation. It takes a long time for the effects of the GA to wear off and you won't feel right for a good 24 hours.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's doubtful that you'll even be allowed to leave until 4 hours after the operation. You'll be continually monitored before you'll be discharged, but they'll be expecting someone to pick you up.

If it's NHS, expect to be waiting around for quite some time. Probably not even worth driving THERE if you're going to have to leave the car in the carpark.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    mr.ian wrote: »
    You should be banned from driving for just thinking about it never mind asking.

Idiot.

Thats a bit strong.

If he/she has never had a general before, and it doesn't sound like the hospital have offered much in the way of advice, then how is he/she to know?

Would you rather he/she didn't ask and just decided to drive?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    A GA is a form of sedation, i.e. it reduces your ability to comprehend things in your environment and extends your reaction time.
    So driving in this condition is dangerous to all involved.
    There are many ways around this transport issue, including getting taxis, getting picked up or dropped off later/earlier, adding someone to your car insurance who can drive you (this often reduces your insurance bill!?!) or just take the bus!
    The other option is seeing if the hospital can provide patient transport home, it's usually very long winded, and a bit of a random wait but free.

Do not drive! it's as bad as drink driving
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,526
    Forum Member
    No, don't do it. Get a taxi.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    Let us know when and where your going to be, so I know not to be in a few mile radius of you!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am getting a procedure done tomorrow under local anaesthetic and have been advised not to drive. Mostly because the procedure is on my foot. But when I worked in a local hospital all patients that had any form of anaesthetic were advised not to drive for 24 hours due to the risk involved.
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blimey I cannot believe you have asked the question?

Mind you saying that I did mow the lawn in the afternoon having had a D and C in the morning in my younger stupider days!! I only did it to get back at hubby who was being an A3se hole!
  • lucky74lucky74 Posts: 4,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please please don't even consider driving for at least 24 hours after your operation. The hospital should tell you that you shouldn't. You should really have someone looking after you during that first 24 hours out of hospital as well or you'd actually be well advised to stay in hospital overnight. Get a taxi home at the very least but please, don't take unnecessary risks with your health and life or anyone else's.
  • Rogana JoshRogana Josh Posts: 41,348
    Forum Member

You can drive people mad!