Elysium

Lain AndrewsLain Andrews Posts: 1,860
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This looks good.
From Neill Blomkamp (director of District 9), starring Matt Damon, Jodie Foster and Sharlto Copley, for release in March next year...
The Elysium plot outline reads:

"In the year 2159, two classes of people exist: the very wealthy "Coordinators," people who can afford bio-genetical engineering, who live on a pristine man-made space station called Elysium, built by the Armadyne Corporation, and the rest, who live on an overpopulated, ruined Earth. Secretary Rhodes, a hard government official, will stop at nothing to enforce anti-immigration laws and preserve the luxurious lifestyle of the citizens of Elysium. That doesn’t stop the people of Earth from trying to get in, by any means they can. When unlucky ex-con Max is backed into a corner, he agrees to take on a daunting mission that if successful will not only save his life, but could bring equality to these polarized worlds."

http://www.channel24.co.za/Movies/News/Neill-Blomkamp-Elysium-details-unveiled-20120618

Comments

• 007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. I read about it a few weeks ago. I hope it focuses more on action and philosophy rather than drama.

There is also another film with Tom crusie that is quite similar, due out in a year or two.
  • Steve AWOLSteve AWOL Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well the first trailer is out and looks like a cross between District 9 and Halo.

ELYSIUM - Official Trailer - In Theaters August 9th - YouTube
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks a great movie.

From the trailer it looks like a cross between In Time and Total Recall with some space ships.

What out me off is it says from the director of District 9. Has to be one of the worst sci-fi movies of the 00's. Anybody here think that movie was awful?
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks a great movie.

From the trailer it looks like a cross between In Time and Total Recall with some space ships.

What out me off is it says from the director of District 9. Has to be one of the worst sci-fi movies of the 00's. Anybody here think that movie was awful?

Loved District 9 its now one of my favorite Sci-Fi films, seeing Elysium tonight and have high hopes. Neil Blomkamp is a great Writer/Director.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,195
    Forum Member
    Jodie Foster's accent annoyed the hell out of me.
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Off to see Elysium tonight. I'm actually really excited.
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I thought District 9 was a fantastic film! I'm hoping this is as good.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »

Cant stand Jodie Foster, she just kills any movie she is in since Contact.

Like the look of this film but ill be waiting for the DVD, i just can't sit in a cinema and watch her.
  • PJ68PJ68 Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    was really excited about this but thought it was terrible. so heavy handed and hamfisted. was like it was written by a 15 year old. and jody foster. omg. she's one of my favourite actresses but this is probably one of the worst performances i have ever seen. her accent changes in the middle of a sentence sometimes haha.
  • Chocolate MonkeChocolate Monke Posts: 1,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The film was entertaining enough. District 9 gave me higher expectations though. You could afford to wait for the dvd with this one.
    PJ68 wrote: »
    was really excited about this but thought it was terrible. so heavy handed and hamfisted. was like it was written by a 15 year old. and jody foster. omg. she's one of my favourite actresses but this is probably one of the worst performances i have ever seen. her accent changes in the middle of a sentence sometimes haha.

It was all over the place, but I felt this was deliberate - put it down to living aboard Elysium with many different nationalities. She is shown to speak French in a couple of scenes and one would imagine other languages, being Secretary ofDdefense aboard a multinational space station. That would affect her accent a lot.
  • chandlerpchandlerp Posts: 4,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sharlto Copley stole this movie. He was as excellent as Jodie Foster was poor.
  • Brass Drag0nBrass Drag0n Posts: 5,046
    Forum Member
    Saw this yesterday - thought it was good but not great - a bit too obvious in its haves/have nots politics and I though Kruger was too nuts. Why have a clearly insane enforcer when there are bound to be loads of perfectly "normal" people willing to commit atrocities on your behalf.

All in all though I enjoyed it. Just not one to think too deeply about afterwards.
  • Mr.LavigneMr.Lavigne Posts: 922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Elysium. CONTAINS SPOILERS.
    Quite enjoyed this. Neill Blomkamp's follow up to District 9 carries a lot of the same elements, and once again proves he's a good director, with some very good vision. Whereas his previous movie felt very original, Elysium struggles a bit in that department, but the story of Matt Damon's Max trying to get to a space station not far from Earth (in fact, it seems to take about 30 seconds to get there, which was one thing that was quite jarring), to try and cure himself of a disease which leaves him with only five days to live occasionally gets a bit repetitive, and stalls at certain points, but it's still got some great monents to reccommend.

Matt Damon is reliably good as the lead, and Sharlto Copley is a brilliant villian - the film is far more entertaining whenever he's on screen. He's a hard guy to beat as well, as even a grenade to the face isn't as effective as it sounds, the recovery powers of the med bays on Elysium seem to be able to fix most things, and that does lead to some wonderfully grotesque imagery. In fact it takes him to be actually blown to smithereens to be finally defeated.

I thought that there was going to be a cop out ending and that Max was actually going to be be cured and survive in the end, but it was a brave, and correct, move to finish the movie that way, the lead character dying a hero's death, in making Elysium open to all.
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    dee123 wrote: »
    More so Sharlto Copley...for me - :cry:

Just wondering if this was a pro - free healthcare film, for the American market.;)....And not a very good one at that...5/10:(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Saw it eariler and enjoyed it quite a lot, although it definitely wasn't as good as District 9 (which i re-watched last night), but i wasn't really expecting it to be up to that standard anyway. Elysium is a great sci-fi action movie though, i'd definitely recommend it, Matt Damon and Sharlto Copley were great, it was quite amusing seeing the difference between Sharlto Copley's characters in D9 and Elysium, here he goes full on mental, he should play bad guys more often! I'd agree about Jodie Foster though, she was badly miscast, i know they were trying to make her seem harsh and unlikable, but that accent she was forcing was needless and distracting.

Overall though i really enjoyed it, 8/10 from me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr.Lavigne wrote: »
    Elysium. CONTAINS SPOILERS.
    Quite enjoyed this. Neill Blomkamp's follow up to District 9 carries a lot of the same elements, and once again proves he's a good director, with some very good vision. Whereas his previous movie felt very original, Elysium struggles a bit in that department, but the story of Matt Damon's Max trying to get to a space station not far from Earth (in fact, it seems to take about 30 seconds to get there, which was one thing that was quite jarring), to try and cure himself of a disease which leaves him with only five days to live occasionally gets a bit repetitive, and stalls at certain points, but it's still got some great monents to reccommend.

Matt Damon is reliably good as the lead, and Sharlto Copley is a brilliant villian - the film is far more entertaining whenever he's on screen. He's a hard guy to beat as well, as even a grenade to the face isn't as effective as it sounds, the recovery powers of the med bays on Elysium seem to be able to fix most things, and that does lead to some wonderfully grotesque imagery. In fact it takes him to be actually blown to smithereens to be finally defeated.

I thought that there was going to be a cop out ending and that Max was actually going to be be cured and survive in the end, but it was a brave, and correct, move to finish the movie that way, the lead character dying a hero's death, in making Elysium open to all.

You need to wrap spoilers otherwise others can still see them.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Old.Tallen wrote: »
    You need to wrap spoilers otherwise others can still see them.

Instead of quoting it and bumping the spoilers yourself, maybe you could have reported the post and asked the mods to add spoiler tags?

[Just done that myself...]
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    Instead of quoting it and bumping the spoilers yourself, maybe you could have reported the post and asked the mods to add spoiler tags?

[Just done that myself...]

You think its worth bothering the mods for something this trivial?

Im not in the habit of reporting other forum members for no good reason.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Old.Tallen wrote: »
    You think its worth bothering the mods for something this trivial?

Im not in the habit of reporting other forum members for no good reason.

Yes. It's not like you're reporting the member themselves and getting them suspended for abuse. It's just a matter of reporting the post so that the mods can add spoiler tags to it (which they did). No harm comes to the poster for something like this. I do the same when I see a thread in the wrong forum: report it so that the mods can move it.

The only way to get the mods to do *anything* is via reported posts, as they are reactive rather than proactive.
  • Kayleigh2010Kayleigh2010 Posts: 1,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chandlerp wrote: »
    Sharlto Copley stole this movie. He was as excellent as Jodie Foster was poor.

I agree with this, tbh I only wanted to watch it for him
  • mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks a great movie.

Why do you think it was awful, just curious...?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mr muggles wrote: »
    Why do you think it was awful, just curious...?

Looked low budget with some CGI effects thrown in. Poor cast and strange storey.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyway I seem Elysium and have to say it was brilliant.

Other than maybe a similar sound track or slightly similarly scenery that's as far as it went in comparing to District 9.

Better cast with Matt Damon. Great action and great politics in the movie.

It's a must see. District 9 is straight to DVD quality this movie is blockbuster up there with Total Recall, Lockout and Oblivion.
  • ritchritch Posts: 2,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had high hopes but also thought it was pretty bad. It just seemed like a mess of sequences to me, totally chaotic. The shaky cam also made most of it pretty irritating, I don’t mind it in some cases but the shaky cam was present throughout, you don’t need that effect if some guy is walking down a corridor. The only thing I liked was Matt Damon, who as always was solid but the others were rubbish IMO. The bad guy was more comic relief and made it a farce. Foster was doing some weird Margret Thatcher impersonation and her story was anti climatic to say the least. In fact the whole story was a big boring cliché and didnt make much sense (in the way it was a stupid idea). The setting was ok but it was all just done so badly IMO. big let down this one.
  • Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ritch wrote: »
    I had high hopes but also thought it was pretty bad. It just seemed like a mess of sequences to me, totally chaotic. The shaky cam also made most of it pretty irritating, I don’t mind it in some cases but the shaky cam was present throughout, you don’t need that effect if some guy is walking down a corridor. The only thing I liked was Matt Damon, who as always was solid but the others were rubbish IMO. The bad guy was more comic relief and made it a farce. Foster was doing some weird Margret Thatcher impersonation and her story was anti climatic to say the least. In fact the whole story was a big boring cliché and didnt make much sense. The setting was ok but it was all just done so badly IMO. big let down this one.

Just posted that same thing in the Last Movie You Watched thread.
    I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking she was channeling Maggie.