Chinese smartphones

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
Forum Member
✭✭
Are these worth the hassle to unlock? I'm looking at spending 90-100 quid on one, but wondering if it would be better to stick to UK options and get a warranty.

Comments

• flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    dmuk wrote: »
    Are these worth the hassle to unlock? I'm looking at spending 90-100 quid on one, but wondering if it would be better to stick to UK options and get a warranty.

unlock?

they are locking chinese unbranded phones these days?
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are ALL unlocked. The question is can you afford to throw £100 away? If the answer is yes then go for it. You can grab a bargain. I got my lad a cracking phone for £60 but I am under no illusions that if it goes wrong there is no come back. There are some UK importers who do offer a warranty worth the paper it is written on, I used one on Amazon for a tablet and was able to return for a replacement after the USB port knacked.
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is also a company in America called blu who do good value smartphones if you prefer something that Isn't Chinese.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    enapace wrote: »
    There is also a company in America called blu who do good value smartphones if you prefer something that Isn't Chinese.

Still be Chinese...just comes via US rather than direct from China
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    Still be Chinese...just comes via US rather than direct from China

Could say same for a lot of companies as most devices are made in china these days. It's headquarters are in Miami which makes it a proper american company.

http://bluproducts.com/

There you go it is a proper phone company.
  • robbrarobbra Posts: 524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bought a Cubot GT72 dual sim from Amazon, delivered Friday from a UK seller with 12 months warranty.
    I wasn't expecting much for £50 but it's better than my Galaxy Y Duos.
    4" screen, GPS and can switch work sim off out of hours.
    So far so good.
  • TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let's hope Oppo carry on as they've started - an EU site, 2 year warranty and great reputation.

The Find 5 is very tempting, although in Chinese smartphone terms, it's expensive. Built very well ineed, full HD 5" screen and almost continual updates are three things that tempt me - and if you can't quite stretch to a S4, HTC One etc it's a viable option.

Only downsides as far as I can see are no removable battery or external MicroSD slot. All reviews I've seen are good and there's a thriving modding community (so you can put Cyanogenmod on it if you don't like the UI). The 32GB Midnight version appeals to me at around £360, even though I can get a Note 2 at around the same price these days.

It's probably been thoroughly discussed as it's been around a while now but I thought I'd give it an honourable mention in this thread as it's an example other Chinese smartphone manufacturers should follow. Even the packaging and SIM tool are works of art!