Music for Summer/Autumn 2013...

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
Forum Member
✭✭✭
...Okay i dont know if there is a thread already...but i just wanted to know what everyones opinion of the first 5/6 months of 2013 have been thus far in terms of music releases...and what is everyone raving/hyped about up coming late June - Nov/Dec of this year :)

If there is already a thread then hopefully it can merge and generate more discussion...but alas...

So here are mine

1 - Britney Spears - TBA...Okay so at first i was luke warm (Hit-Boy and will.i.am were announced as main producers earlier this year...and quite frankly i though this may be the first Britney album i wont buy) but...over the past fortnight i have been massively turned around...not only is Naughty Boy (Emeli Sande, recent chart topper with the beautiful La La La) involved...but he is also with William (Ray of Light album/Music album/MDNA) Orbit!!! erm YES! now that is the Billy i am excited for...he can push her to the extremes...also he is bringing at Britneys request Dev (Blood Orange) Hynes who did sublime work on Solange True EP last year, and has worked with Florence & The machine....I am beyond excited at the possibilities of Pop/Funk/Neo-Soul/Trippy Dance/Indietronica being presented here with Britney at the helm...could this be indeed her finest moment...all i hope is yes...also Orbit hinted at "best two albums this year" could album 8 be a Duo/DOuble album? time will tell...

2 - goldfrapp - TBA - okay the otherDance Duo i cannot wait for (Daft Punk being earleir with their sublime album)...they always reinvent themselves and never ever repeated and i have adored every album thus far...Black Cherry is my favourite to date and i adore Seventh Tree, Supernature and Felt Mountain....Head First was a great album but i cannot wait to see or hear where they are headed next....they have posted a lot about german music and hinted at Kraftwerk recently...will they try and recreate that landscape? Or will it lead somewhere else...again not long to find out...

3 - Janelle Monae - The Electric Lady - After the sublime ArchAndroid in 2010 Janelle is to return with a new creation...and personally i hope she hits it massively, this album i hope will showcase what she is capable of even further, she is one of my favourtie contemporary artists in Pop music :).

4 - Kylie Minogue - TBA - So after working on Indie films (Holy Motors) doing her K25 gigs/presentations and going all out acoustic...Kylie is returning after signing a partnership deal with Roc Nation...and it looks like she may be trying to crack the US market even further...at a rip age of 45 it looks (and by the sounds of Skirt) like she is ready to reinvent her image/style a bit more and push forward in a newer/fresher/more urban direction....we will see.

5 - grace jones - TBA - Okay so we have been hinted and hinted at a new release from last year into this year...it was rumoured she was working on a Disco themed direction..a ever that is never straightforward with Ms Jones....but i truly hope we see her with new awareness (after her Jubilee concert last year getting headlines) to come out with an album later this year...we will see...and i hope we see...its been almost 5 years since Hurricane...

6 - Solange - Third album - after her True EP last year produced with Dev Hynes (Mentioned earlier) she will be set to release her full third album of material with new work she has created with Hynes...Cannot wait to hear it.

7 - MKS - Debut album - Okay i loved the original lineup of Sugababes (and the second) and the fact they also are working with Dev Hynes (i am glad this is a theme here) on some material and some other underground producers really intrigues me more than anything here...its more of an intrigue thing really...but the girl group market has turned a bit pastel coloured and fluffy...i think they will bring some needed intensity and grit as well as soul to the fold...

8 - Beyonce - Mrs Carter - She won me over a lot with 4...but ehr recent live performance recycling (was never a fan of that with MJ or Janet Jackson) kinda put me back off ehr a bit...BUT i did love the way she mixed it up and payed tribute to her sounds as a child (Motown/Old School Pop) and Fela Kuti and went against the grain...plus ehr glasto headlining performance was very cool...and actually what converted me....now with the sounds of samples/leaks we have heard recently and seen in her campaigns....she looks set to bring Islandish/Afrikaan Tribe rhythms to the table...which again intrigues me....not overtly keen on Hip Hop/Urban music however which is why i never really got pulled in by Destinys Child or her earleir stuff in the first place....but the Afrikaan styles intrigue me...lets see where it heads.

9 - Lady gaga - ARTPOP - now this could be a maker or breaker for her...its beentwo years in the making almost and she has changed styles, concepts with the album many times already....Zedd, Madeon, White Shadow, Fernando, Redone have all been a part of the project...but also Redone has been dropped recently which means....well...where abouts are we? Personally The Fame/Monster for me sounds dated and Born This Way i still dig but i play less and less...for me this album is all about making her or showcasing anew area...we will see...however Dallas Austin (Madonnas Bedtime Stories, MJ, P!nk collaborator) pic with her recently does intrigue me even further...time will tell...will it be this year or next, or this decade even?

Okay so thats my 9 albums i am excited/hyped/intrigued for for the next half of the year...i look forward to hear who else and what else is on the way chances are i do not know what is on the way and it may be mentioend by someone else on here :)

Favourites of the year thus far are -

Daft Punk - Random Access Memories
Charlie XCX - True ROmance
&
David Bowie - The Next Day

I want to check out Depeche Modes recent album however :) as that is one from this year i really do want to venture into :)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me personally it's:

Skylar Grey - Don't Look Down.
    Mariah Carey - TBA.
    Cher - TBA.
    Ariana Grande - Daydreamin'
    Azealia Banks - Broke With Expensive Taste.
    Beyonce - TBA. (Mrs Carter?)
    Britney Spears - TBA.
    Eminem - TBA.
    Fifth Harmony - TBA.
    Katy Perry - TBA.
    Jessie J - TBA.
    Iggy Azalea - The New Classic.
    Lady Gaga - ARTPOP.
    Miley Cyrus - TBA.
    Natalia Kills - Trouble.
    Nelly Furtado - Broken.
    Nicki Minaj - TBA. (Pink Friday: The Pinkprint?)
    Nicole Scherzinger - TBA
    Sky Ferreira - TBA (I'm Not Alright?)
    Union J - TBA.

Edit: I forgot Janelle Monae - The Electric Lady and Lana Del Rey, Marina and the Diamonds and Janet Jackson if the rumours are true and they release this year.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lady Gaga
    Mariah Carey
    Selena Gomez
    Justin Timberlake
    Kanye West
    Britney Spears
    Beyoncé
    Iggy Azalea
    Cher
    Natalia Kills

Possibly Katy Perry and Nicole Schzeringer. Also Rihanna and Timbaland if the release albums this year.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    For me it's:

Lady Gaga
    Katy Perry
    Britney Spears
    The Saturdays
    Selena Gomez
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    great choices guys :)....so many i forgot about coming up too :)
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me:

AlunaGeorge- Body Talk everythin they have released thus far is pure genius cannot wait for a full album.

Iggy Azalea- The New Classic love it old skool, new skool and girl can write a hook should be awesome.

Katy Perry- TBA- Loved Teenage Dream and have such high hopes for Katy musically i hope she progresses and matures and above all delivers.

Goldfrapp- TBA- Always interesting to see what they come up with.

Britney Spears- TBA- If she fails to deliver im jumping ship bt she seems tobe shaping up an interesting album so shall see.
  • JustArunJustArun Posts: 8,941
    Forum Member
    Alexandra Burke - TBA
    Fifth Harmony - TBA
    Beyonce - TBA
    Nicole Scherzinger - TBA
    Ariana Grande - Daydreamin'
    Katy Perry - TBA
  • Amanda_RaymondAmanda_Raymond Posts: 2,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Avril Lavigne, Diana Vickers. Katy Perry, Britney Spears, Lucy Spraggan, Amelia Lily, Lady Ga Ga
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Selena Gomez - Stars Dance
    Ariana Grande - Daydreamin
    Miley Cyrus - TBA
  • SevenSeizeSevenSeize Posts: 187
    Forum Member
    AlunaGeorge - Body Music
    Disclosure - Settle
    Fenech-Soler - Rituals
    Swiss Lips - Swiss Lips
    CHVRCHES - tba
    Haim - tba
  • JustArunJustArun Posts: 8,941
    Forum Member
    Fifth Harmony - Miss Movin' On :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh yes forgot Alunageorge too....cannot believe i did as am hyped for them and to hear what they have done too ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have reached the middle of summer (Summer solstace yesterday and all)....any new releases anyone has bought thus far and enjoyed/surprised by or indeed didnt like after all?

I havent bought any new albums for a while but am tempted to buy Boards Of Canadas latest one :)
  • zeze88zeze88 Posts: 1,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me:

Sara Bareilles - Blessed Unrest (I CAN'T WAIT!)
    Janelle Monae - The Electric Lady
    Justin Timberlake - 20/20 Experience Part 2
    Shane Filan - TBA
    Mark Feehily - TBA (although it is not certain if he will release it this year
    Misha B - TBA
    Lucy Spraggan - TBA
  • GeorgeMarshGeorgeMarsh Posts: 1,776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Saturdays (Late Summer)
    Leona Lewis (Christmas)
    Jennifer Lopez (November)
    Mariah Carey (July)
    The Wanted (September)
    Amelle?
    Fifth Harmony
    Kylie
    Nadine Coyle
    Nicole Scherzinger
    Sophie Ellis Bextor
  • StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just got Empire of the Sun's latest album. Despite the chilly looking cover, its excellently synthy and summery. Love it :)

Still on the lookout for more things to look forward to though, heheh
  • SoupietwistSoupietwist Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Okkervil River - The Silver Gymnasium.
    Pearl Jam
    Mew
    Gogol Bordello - Pura Vida Conspiracy.
    Franz Ferdinand - Right Thoughts...
    Dream Theater
    The Horrors
    Of Montreal - Lousy with Sylvianbriar
    Arcade Fire
    Moving Mountains
    Lady Gaga - Art Pop
    Neko Case - The Worse Things Get
    Mùm - Smilewound
    Ty Segall - Sleeper
  • LandslideBradLandslideBrad Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    Can't wait for upcoming albums/new music from...
    Cher Lloyd
    Selena Gomez
    Jessie J
    Beyonce
    Emblem3
    Ariana Grande

And to an extent/curious about...
    Lady Gaga
    Fifth Harmony
    The Saturdays
    Union J
  • Fred E StarFred E Star Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bareilles (though I hate her stupid hats!)

Haim

Chvrches

Eliza Doolittle

Vickers

Lissie
  • Fred E StarFred E Star Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forgot the new Oh Land album too.