Bobby Darin

~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,165
Forum Member
I've just heard Bobby Darin on a local radio station, singing Beyond the Sea.

I've always enjoyed his music, I can remember being devastated when he died so young.

Are there any more Bobby Darin fans in this Music section? If there are, what was your favourite track. Mine was "Things".

Bobby died too young, far too young. Michael Buble is a good contender to take his crown but, for me, he doesn't quite cut the mustard yet.

Comments

• ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,165
    Forum Member
    Addendum to first post. I appreciate that many young members may not know who the heck Bobby Darin is. ;)
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do!

I love his royal Bobbyness and have quite a few of his albums.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't call myself a fan as such, as I don't know enough of his music, but I do like Beyond The Sea (also the original, La Mer, by Charles Trenet), and I love his versions of Mack The Knife and Don't Rain On My Parade, having first heard the latter on the soundtrack to the film 'American Beauty'.
  • GlenLGlenL Posts: 1,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Off the top of my head I would have to say 'Where Love Has Gone'

Although I do have a soft spot for 'Clementine' :o:D
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Of course Bobby is famously mentioned in the classic live version of Mack The Knife by Ella Fitzgerald on the 'Live In Berlin' album..........

She forgot the words and improvised, mentioning other artists who'd recorded the song and Bobby got a couple of mentions.............

What could have been a disaster became the definitive version of the song.............
  • JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant artist. Very underrated.
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i like dream lover
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the info, swingaleg - I wasn't aware of that particular Ella version of Mack The Knife and will check it out. My favourite version of the song is from a German recording of The Threepenny Opera.
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    not really my cuppa...