university should be free?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,192
Forum Member
✭✭✭
what are your oppinions personally i think it should as long as its not used as a doss.

Comments

• ScottishWoodyScottishWoody Posts: 23,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Move to Scotland then :D
  • bhoy07bhoy07 Posts: 25,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    njguy wrote: »
    what are your oppinions personally i think it should as long as its not used as a doss.

I think that it should be free to people who want to be doctors, nurses etc.. but they have to work in the NHS for a set amount of years once qualified.

But for pointless degrees students should pay for them.
  • pault2006pault2006 Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    Move to Scotland then :D

I was lucky - my parents only had to pay £400 a year for my Uni fees in 1999-2002.

We had special circumstances and I've heard that now, a lot of people have to pay £2,000 a year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bhoy07 wrote: »
    I think that it should be free to people who want to be doctors, nurses etc.. but they have to work in the NHS for a set amount of years once qualified.

But for pointless degrees students should pay for them.

What do you class as a pointless degree?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it should be free but only the highest achievers should go to university (as in the past) unlike today where everyone goes and everything is a university. Maybe there would be a smaller drop out rate then too.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ruby Shoes wrote: »
    Yes it should be free but only the highest achievers should go to university (as in the past) unlike today where everyone goes and everything is a university. Maybe there would be a smaller drop out rate then too.

Agreed. And kids who aren't suited to academic subjects should be taken out of school and taught something that interests them. Bring back apprenticeships.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ruby Shoes wrote: »

why would you want to limit education and not give it to the masses we are trying to do the opposite in countrys like africa.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

American Studies? :confused:
  • Rob FinlayRob Finlay Posts: 891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Make A-levels harder, only give the top grades to the top 1%, and offer scholarships to the top students from state schools. Promote apprenticeships and vocational studies more, make it clear to kids that the average qualified plumber/electrician etc stands to earn far more than someone with a useless arts degree from a second rate University.

It's ridiculous to suggest that we should be paying for 50% of kids to go to University.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gadders wrote: »
    Agreed. And kids who aren't suited to academic subjects should be taken out of school and taught something that interests them Bring back apprenticeships.

they should bring back apprenteships my dad was telling me that when he was at school they used to build cars and that id love to do that but its hard these days, to many health and saftey rules.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    why would you want to limit education and not give it to the masses we are trying to do the opposite in countrys like africa.

It's not about limiting education - it's about educating people to use the best of their abilities.

For example I can't draw to save my life. So what's the point in me doing an Art GCSE, A-level and degree.

If someone is never going to get his head round maths what's the point in forcing him to take a GSCE which he's going to fail. Why not find out what he is good at and build on those skills and knowledge.

Maybe then he might see some future in his life.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not about limiting education - it's about educating people to use the best of their abilities.

For example I can't draw to save my life. So what's the point in me doing an Art GCSE, A-level and degree.

If someone is never going to get his head round maths what's the point in forcing him to take a GSCE which he's going to fail. Why not find out what he is good at and build on those skills and knowledge.

Maybe then he might see some future in his life.

yeah lol i guess i either want to be an architect or art teacher because im good at art havent decided yet, my sister did a biomedical degree at uni and came top of the class spent 4 years doing that and has now decided she wants to be a teacher lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jive bunny wrote: »
    American Studies? :confused:

What is American Studies anyway? lol

Hopefully I remember about this thread tomorrow, going to bed now, bye. :)
  • slappers r usslappers r us Posts: 56,131
    Forum Member
    Agreed. And kids who aren't suited to academic subjects should be taken out of school and taught something that interests them Bring back apprenticeships.
    I so agree with you

I think it makes total sence

Those kids who do not thrive in academics should be allowed to leave and go into an apprenticeship

then we would not be short of brickies, leckies, chippies, carerers,plumbers ect, ect
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not everyone is suited to higher education. Let those who achieve the results go on to higher education and those who don't can do something else like an apprenticeship (as someone else suggested). We've got a stupid situation now where the value of academic degrees has plummeted and the idea of 'graduate jobs' doesn't exist anymore. It never used to be the case that someone graduated to go and work in a supermarket. It's not about limiting, it's more about matching people to their skills which is far more useful than sending people to do something they are neither suited to nor enjoy. I mean let's face it, if you can't get the grades to get into a pre 1992 university these days with the (officially recognised) easier A levels then you shouldn't be going to a university at all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I so agree with you

I think it makes total sence

Those kids who do not thrive in academics should be allowed to leave and go into an apprenticeship

then we would not be short of brickies, leckies, chippies, carerers,plumbers ect, ect

And then maybe they wouldn't be so disillusioned with society and their life, they wouldn't be bored and we'd get rid of this criminality running wild in the streets. Yes, I know it's a lovely idea but surely it's worth a try ...
    Forum Member

Travel and tourisim

I have a nephew who has gotten a degree for that

he is now working as a shelf stacker in the Co-Op

yet my friends daughter started to work as an apprentice in a travel agents at 16 worked her way up to be manager by she was 20 then she was headhunted by another travel agent then she was headhunted by the sales department of a large advertising agency

she is now 30 and earning megabucks

all because she could sell holidays and travel insurance in a travel agency
    Forum Member
    And then maybe they wouldn't be so disillusioned with society and their life, they wouldn't be bored and we'd get rid of this criminality running wild in the streets. Yes, I know it's a lovely idea but surely it's worth a try ...
    hey you dont have to pursuade me

both my brothers and hubby would be up shitcreek if it wasnt for apprenteships
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most medical courses are paid for by a sponsoring NHS Trust, plus the students get a bursary (non-repayable) instead of a loan.

I think that making all university students perform some kind of charity/community work would both help society, and give them a broader outlook on life, which is half of what university is about!

I also think that National Service should be brought back, but thats another thread entirely!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Travel and tourisim

I have a nephew who has gotten a degree for that

he is now working as a shelf stacker in the Co-Op

yet my friends daughter started to work as an apprentice in a travel agents at 16 worked her way up to be manager by she was 20 then she was headhunted by another travel agent then she was headhunted by the sales department of a large advertising agency

she is now 30 and earning megabucks

all because she could sell holidays and travel insurance in a travel agency

Perfect example - no amount of letters after your name will teach you to be a good sales person. It's something innate in people and if it's spotted early should be nurtured and encouraged.

I bet loads of "chav" drug dealers are brilliant salesmen. What if that potential had been spotted when they were young?
    Forum Member
    yeah lol i guess i either want to be an architect or art teacher because im good at art havent decided yet, my sister did a biomedical degree at uni and came top of the class spent 4 years doing that and has now decided she wants to be a teacher lol
    my son did a microbiology degree

he wanted to do research but the pay was utter crap so he has just become a biology teacher
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joey_M wrote: »
    Most medical courses are paid for by a sponsoring NHS Trust, plus the students get a bursary (non-repayable) instead of a loan.

I think that making all university students perform some kind of charity/community work would both help society, and give them a broader outlook on life, which is half of what university is about!

I also think that National Service should be brought back, but thats another thread entirely!

When I was at uni, there were loads of extra curricular things you could do and one of them was a group which took special needs adults out to the union for a drink and a game of pool and stuff like that. I did that kind of thing for about a year but I had spent two years doing similar stuff at sixth form anyway. I think the opportunities are there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bet loads of "chav" drug dealers are brilliant salesmen. What if that potential had been spotted when they were young?

I'm guessing it probably would have been. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What has been done to higher education is a scandal. In just a few years Labour have nearly totally de-valued the degree system.

It seems they hate the idea of personal power which was always the case when only a few went to university. It's rather like everyone has been made a millionaire, therefore no one is a millionaire. You've got a degree, but you're stacking shelves (and several thou in debt). A bit of a con in fact.

Everyone at the same level? Is'nt that ever so slightly communist.
    Forum Member
    Theres one thing I dont get

Why on earth do you have to go to Uni to be a nurse

my Daughter in law to be just got a degree to do mental health nursing last year and her sister had to go for genral nursing both had to take out student loans

now many moons ago when I left school anyone who wanted to nurse just had O levels and then went straight into nursing and had a day release to study for exams with no student loans because the day release wasnt to uni

I have many friends who are District nurses / Midwives / Geriatric nurses and even Theater nurses and they never went to Uni