BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes Robbie Savage really is poor when it comes to matches at this level.

At any level.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    Yes Robbie Savage really is poor when it comes to matches at this level.

You can finish that sentence at the word "poor", let alone matches or level.
  • radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cant stand Clegg however Nick Ferrari's programme knocks spots off Derbyshire's misery fest. Wished I'd have access to Lbc on dab earlier.
  • SJM978SJM978 Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    Is Richard Bacon the most charmless, gormless lightweight on national radio?

He's just been speaking to a very intelligent, well-informed man formally of the World Service who spent the last 10 minutes explaining the situation in Ukraine, including the historical context, and the reasons behind the current demonstrations, and Bacon spent another couple of minutes asking the same question - the answer to which was given to him very well - ALL OVER AGAIN!

It's obvious Bacon doesn't have the capacity or even the interest to do a bit of background research on the subjects being discussed on his programme. How this man keeps his job hosting a programme on a national radio station is beyond me.
  • chandlerpchandlerp Posts: 4,950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I listened to Julia Hartley-Brewer's show this afternoon and they tackled the subject of male suicide. It was handled seriously but did not feel anything like as miserable as anything of VD's offerings. It just showed how such subjects can be worthy radio without some bint mumblin "mmm" or "gosh" every few seconds
  • Ian F 2012Ian F 2012 Posts: 190
    Forum Member
    SJM978 wrote: »

He's just been speaking to a very intelligent, well-informed man formally of the World Service who spent the last 10 minutes explaining the situation in Ukraine, including the historical context, and the reasons behind the current demonstrations, and Bacon spent another couple of minutes asking the same question - the answer to which was given to him very well - ALL OVER AGAIN!

It's obvious Bacon doesn't have the capacity or even the interest to do a bit of background research on the subjects being discussed on his programme. How this man keeps his job hosting a programme on a national radio station is beyond me.

I think that the answer is yes, he is the most charmless, gormless lightweight on national radio.

He does not listen to the answer, and is not bright enough to realise when he has been given an intelligent thoughtful response. He then panics and asks the same question in a different way all over again. He gets away with it when he is dealing with Z-list celebs, but it makes for toe curling listening when he is dealing with someone who knows their stuff.
  • redvers36redvers36 Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iandun wrote: »
    You can finish that sentence at the word "poor", let alone matches or level.

Robbie Savage is simply dreadful and offers no insight at all. Whereas last night Chris Waddle was excellent. Much less of Savage and more of Waddle please BBC.
  • Phil AnderPhil Ander Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had the misfortune to hear a rasher of Bacon on Tuesday when he interviewed a woman who wanted tackling in Rugby banned for all under the age of 18. Admittedly she had verbal dia whatsit but she got away with claiming Swedish kids were less obese because they did a lot of non contact sports. A smarter interviewer would have pointed out that one of the most popular sports in Sweden is Ice Hockey, which the last time I looked is every bit as physical as Rugby.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chandlerp wrote: »
    I listened to Julia Hartley-Brewer's show this afternoon and they tackled the subject of male suicide. It was handled seriously but did not feel anything like as miserable as anything of VD's offerings. It just showed how such subjects can be worthy radio without some bint mumblin "mmm" or "gosh" every few seconds

Julia also focused upon family mediation and James O'Brien on men not knowing whether their lid was on fact their biological pffspring. Derbyshire could do no better than play the recordings of Lbc and learn!
    Both done tactfully and with light and shade
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,056
    Forum Member
    SJM978 wrote: »

If you ever see Bacon on the webcam he is constantly playing with his phone or browsing the internet when interviewing guests, so its no wonder when his concentration goes.
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    Phil Ander wrote: »
    I had the misfortune to hear a rasher of Bacon on Tuesday when he interviewed a woman who wanted tackling in Rugby banned for all under the age of 18. Admittedly she had verbal dia whatsit but she got away with claiming Swedish kids were less obese because they did a lot of non contact sports. A smarter interviewer would have pointed out that one of the most popular sports in Sweden is Ice Hockey, which the last time I looked is every bit as physical as Rugby.

Well she was Scottish and if you've watched Scotland playing rugby lately you'd think they'd already given up contesting scrums and tacking :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just about to be my daily 0655 switch over to Lbc away from Ego and Misery. Farage is on Ferrari ghis morning - should be more interesting than hearing about more legal highs, or the glass ceiling etc. from the mmm and gosh woman.
  • lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just about to be my daily 0655 switch over to Lbc away from Ego and Misery. Farage is on Ferrari ghis morning - should be more interesting than hearing about more legal highs, or the glass ceiling etc. from the mmm and gosh woman.

It's been good so far and yesterday was hilarious with Mary the caller on Ferrari...plus Clegg challenged Farage to a European debate and he's on soon too.....
    I heard VD isn't spreading misery this week.....must be her tv commitments this week and newsnight have kept her busy.... :p
  • Livilion72Livilion72 Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    I think 5 live needs a good shakeup with the programing and get rid of some of the tat that they have presenting on some of its shows.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Livilion72 wrote: »
    I think 5 live needs a good shakeup with the programing and get rid of some of the tat that they have presenting on some of its shows.

Well thats all weekday daytimes then...
    LBC is starting to hit.
    Forum Member
    They can start by getting rid of Derbyshire , Forgerty and Bacon... And sort out drive once for all instead of having different presenters every couple of days.
  • Billy_BoyBilly_Boy Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    I find myself turning over to Talksport from 7am until 4pm. Used to be an avid 5L all day listener, but now can't take the pain. The OTT approach to anything the BBC has "discovered" after a special investigation seems to go on for hours to justify their activity. Also, they have to keep telling me at every break or interval that I'm listening to 5L (think 4 in about 30 secs is my record).
    They have let personality outweigh substance and is no longer enjoyable nor informative.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    12 Years a Slave

Campbell 15 years
    Burden 10 years
    Derbyshire 15 years
    Fogarty 13 years
    Bacon 9 years
    Nolan 8 years

Let them all go!
  • lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    12 Years a Slave

Campbell 15 years
    Burden 10 years
    Derbyshire 15 years
    Fogarty 13 years
    Bacon 9 years
    Nolan 8 years

Let them all go!

:D:D:D
  • wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On Your Call near the end there was an interesting call from a man from Barnsley talking about the impact of supermarkets on local businesses.

LBC featured in the 5 Live news this morning. They are living up to their slogan.
  • brain_higgybrain_higgy Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with everyone here 5live is all misery and guts here is a run down of my views and ways to improve programming and yes i do hate the current run of presenters and bacon is my most hated guy so here is my rant on 5live program

i just put on the live web cam stream on all day so i can see who is talking

5live breakfast: burden voice is so grouchy she talks and presents like she doesnt like being there and has no enthuisasm and treat it like a job or having no fun
    she needs to get off and be replaced with someone who enjoys being there
    its a good breakfast program about news and light hearted at time just the presenters need replacing

Nicky campbell - be there for too long sometimes enjoys other times feel like wish could be somewhere else both burden and campbell dont get a long or dont like working with another

your call - some times depressing - wish they could chose better topics to discuss rather than current state of nhs or state of benefits or such wish they could pick a fun topic or light hearted topic then the last 5mins open up to prank calls to finsih off
    a few weeks back campbell was in tears as story or call was too depressing even for him

vic derbyshire- she is depressing and have too many depressing stories and topics agree she says too many gosh and hmmm and such phrasies makes the whole show too depressing to listen to even makes drivers or people listening break down in tears its too depressing each morning making life more depressing as its already is
    need to replace her as she is even not in salford but in london most times

fogarty- she is fat and single and doesn't reveal much of her private life like the rest of her co presenters her mid day program is not too bad but could be improved like on top of news discussion could have different topic like u have sports, medical and health, politics, consumer issues and world affairs
    would like to see technology news, off topic news once in a while

bacon- dont get me started the guy has an easy life and gets away with anything he wants i agree doesnt have an attention span always online during the interviews, just because he cant see his guest mean he can do what he want
    even put feet up on the desk and walls and gets away with it in any other job if u do put your feet up on desk or walls or chair u get in to trouble but he doesnt
    he gets so much time off its not a joke, (fair enough he has kids now) but before that he took time off because he needs a holiday joke
    the guy repeats himself too much i do enjoy the tv reviews and moan in but even then doesnt watch much himself when he does tv reviews even at xmas claims he doesnt watch any tv on xmas day just sits down and talk with all his family (cant see that doing all day)
    overall the guy has an easy life and gets away with murder

Drive- OK the only thing to improve is get rid of peter allan as he is there for too long and refuse to go on twitter since all of bbc staff are on twitter even the oldies on twitter
    drive is ok i guess

what i improve or add is maybe do a nightly 1 hr program on the weekend for prank calls and such just to entertain things

thats my rant on 5live needs improving
    Forum Member
    Ever since LBC become national, I have not had much interest of 5 live as they have went downhill.
  • Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nolan keeps playing a recording of a call from 'Graham'. This serial whiner has been phoning in late night radio shows for at least 20 years plying the same dreary repetitive monologue. Listen a bit more carefully and you'll find several contradictions in what he claims are his personal circumstances.
  • Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,420
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

fogarty- she is fat and single and doesn't reveal much of her private life
    Sorry mate but I think you are out of order here. What you posted is a personal attack on someone. What does her body shape have to do with her ability to broadcast? And do you know she is single? And even if she is, does it matter? Her private life is none of any of our business. She doesn't have to reveal anything to anyone.

You are being insulting rather than being constructive in your comments.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    12 Years a Slave

Campbell 15 years
    Burden 10 years
    Derbyshire 15 years
    Fogarty 13 years
    Bacon 9 years
    Nolan 8 years

Let them all go!

Stale or what?