Game of Thrones S3 (US Pace, Spoilers)

Comments

• Captain StableCaptain Stable Posts: 2,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep. I'd actually forgotten what had happened at the end of S2.

Haranhaal (sp?): Aria and her 2 boys managed to escape thanks to "The man", who then changed his face.
    As far as i can remember, the place wasn't torched.

Winterfell: Theon's gang (all 20 of them) ganged up on Theon and knocked him out, so they could leave peacefully, as per the deal that was offered.
    The place was then torched somehow...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also, on a related note: can i ask a question.
    When we say "Spoilers" in this thread, do we mean spoilers for upcoming episodes, or spoilers as in "It's been shown in the US so we're talking about it here!"?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When we say "Spoilers" in this thread, do we mean spoilers for upcoming episodes, or spoilers as in "It's been shown in the US so we're talking about it here!"?

That's why it says US pace its for the people who watch it a few hours early
  • SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Spoilers are for things that people find out about upcoming episodes, via trailers, news, or book related knowledge. Once the episode has aired in the US anything that happened on it is free to be discussed in a US Pace thread.
  • srhDSsrhDS Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corabal wrote: »
    US Pace is almost a whole day before Sky show it, how do you expect us to have seen it to post what we think whilst we wait for Sky to show it?

US Pacers don't wait, UK pacers wait until they've seen it before they read and post. They only have to wait Monday. Worked reasonably well the last few seasons.

Anyhow to the episode. Great start to the season. With the episode title I was expecting to see Arya, so surpirsed not to.
    The Tyrion stuff was great. the banter with his miserable family is always good.
    Glad the Dani story didn't drag too much. Selmy revealing himself straight away and not using a fake name like in the books was good. Keep the story simple and moving.
    Good to see Bronn still around, wonder where they're taking that character.
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    great episode, loved the final scene as i was wanting to catch up with sir barriston selmy! hes chosen the right side!

although i do think majorie would be a great queen too, maybe she can survive joffrey?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    green855 wrote: »
    That's why it says US pace its for the people who watch it a few hours early

Sorry, what i meant was: As this is a Spoiler Thread, are people going to start discussing upcoming events?

Like, for example, after episode 3 has aired, someone can say "Well in the next episode, x character will do <thing>, while y character does <other thing>" - And then they'll say "Well this is a spoiler thread...."

That's the point I'm making. We're either a "We let info about upcoming episodes be posted (spoilers)" or a "We only talk about what's already aired in the US (non-spoiler)"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    Haranhaal (sp?): Aria and her 2 boys managed to escape thanks to "The man", who then changed his face.
    As far as i can remember, the place wasn't torched.

Harrenhal has been torched for a very long time. It was a great fortress which could have held out against thousands of soldiers if attacked by land, but it was roasted by dragonfire long ago. It has been considered cursed ever since. Arya has a conversation about this with either Tywin or Gendry & Hot Pie in Season 2.
  • kimotagkimotag Posts: 11,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loved the subtitled scene with Dani and the slave-master! " Tell the old man he stinks of piss":D
    Forum Member
    Cadiva wrote: »
    Really good opening episode, it laid the foundations for the story lines they're going to be following this season and there were some great one liners.
    Loved the scene between Tyrion and Tywin, he badly underestimates his son because of his size and his lifestyle, Baelish continues to be really creepy, I think Aiden Gillen plays him perfectly and the dynamics between Cersei and Margaery were brilliantly done too.
    I also thought the CGI for the dragons was superb and liked the introduction of Barristan Selmy to Dany.

That was an excellent scene. I'm not sure it's underestimation. Tywin made Tyrion Hand of the King, after all. He just considers Tyrion a continual disappointment, even when given opportunities. Tywin expects a lot from everyone in his family - Cersei, Jaime, Kevan all struggle to live up to his standards. Remember the stag butchery scene? It was Jaime getting the dressing down that time around. He also despises Tyrion for killing his wife - another reason Cersei hates Tyrion too.

I think Aiden Gillen is awful. Littlefinger is one of my favourite characters, but his portrayal has always left much to be desired. He makes it seem as if Littlefinger's a man more enamoured with his own intelligence than is deserving.
  • mindsetmindset Posts: 23,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The new series looks as sumptuous as ever. The dragons looked particularly spectacular.

I can't understand Tywin. Last season he had all the time in the world for a captured "serving girl", but now can't see the worth of his own son. He also levelled the same accusation previously used by Cersei; that Tyrion could never be forgiven his existence, because his mother died giving birth to him. Tywin's refusal to make use of an ever so eager asset seems a grievous failure of leadership to me and doesn't bode well for his future. It also doesn't appear to sit well with the scene in season 2, when Tywin sent Tyrion to King's Landing as The Hand.

Poor, wonderful, Tyrion must now know that even spilling his own blood in battle won't grant him the familial recognition he desires. I hope he stops trying and instead decides to go out and make a life for himself and on his own terms, which would be never less than amusing, at least to me.

Bronn's new status puzzled me. Since Tyrion is denied both influence and praise, why would Joffrey bother to make a knight of his uncle's bodyguard? Bronn claimed to be skint (despite being shown carousing with an expensive looking prostitute?) and demanded a doubling of his pay from Tyrion, emphasising that he was still a sellsword. Does his knighthood mean that he has sold out to Joffrey?

Arya left Harrenhal at the end of season 2, to join her brother Robb. How unfortunate then, that his entire army marching towards Harrenhal, should elude such an intelligent girl.

Sad, pitiful, Stannis. He looked more like a hen-pecked house husband, than a king. And burning prisoners? Any strategist should realise that by denying the option of surrender, even the lowest soldiers of his enemies will fight to the death.

Loved the prospective Queen Margaery. She is already building a constituency among the poor and provoking Joffrey and Cersei to insult each other. I hope she keeps on pushing their buttons. A smooth operator, she seems to be the Westerosi version of a scantily clad Eva Peron. More please!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nice to see the hbo "rome" reunion north of the wall too
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    whedon247 wrote: »
    nice to see the hbo "rome" reunion north of the wall too

I know the guy playing Mance (Ciarán Hinds) played Caesar... who else was from Rome?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    I know the guy playing Mance (Ciarán Hinds) played Caesar... who else was from Rome?

well i thought the viking looking guy that snow bowed down to initially was Vorenus. you know the guy from greys anatomy

but just googled it and seems i was wrong, just ceaser it is lol

for a real rome reunion watch john carter movie lol
  • Ser LurksalotSer Lurksalot Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    mindset wrote: »
    The new series looks as sumptuous as ever. The dragons looked particularly spectacular.

I can't understand Tywin. Last season he had all the time in the world for a captured "serving girl", but now can't see the worth of his own son. He also levelled the same accusation previously used by Cersei; that Tyrion could never be forgiven his existence, because his mother died giving birth to him. Tywin's refusal to make use of an ever so eager asset seems a grievous failure of leadership to me and doesn't bode well for his future. It also doesn't appear to sit well with the scene in season 2, when Tywin sent Tyrion to King's Landing as The Hand.

Poor, wonderful, Tyrion must now know that even spilling his own blood in battle won't grant him the familial recognition he desires. I hope he stops trying and instead decides to go out and make a life for himself and on his own terms, which would be never less than amusing, at least to me.

Bronn's new status puzzled me. Since Tyrion is denied both influence and praise, why would Joffrey bother to make a knight of his uncle's bodyguard? Bronn claimed to be skint (despite being shown carousing with an expensive looking prostitute?) and demanded a doubling of his pay from Tyrion, emphasising that he was still a sellsword. Does his knighthood mean that he has sold out to Joffrey?

Arya left Harrenhal at the end of season 2, to join her brother Robb. How unfortunate then, that his entire army marching towards Harrenhal, should elude such an intelligent girl.

Sad, pitiful, Stannis. He looked more like a hen-pecked house husband, than a king. And burning prisoners? Any strategist should realise that by denying the option of surrender, even the lowest soldiers of his enemies will fight to the death.

Loved the prospective Queen Margaery. She is already building a constituency among the poor and provoking Joffrey and Cersei to insult each other. I hope she keeps on pushing their buttons. A smooth operator, she seems to be the Westerosi version of a scantily clad Eva Peron. More please!

interesting observations, I'll have a go at adding my thoughts to them...

Tyrion seems to be Tywin's blind spot doesn't he! Whether this is because of his distaste for **** (or his disapproval of a high ranking member of the Lannister clan acting in this way); or the fact that he holds Tyrion responsible for the death of his wife; or maybe Tywin is just too arrogant to believe that he produced a 'twisted demon monkey' from his own loins (when he said "I can't prove you're not mine" does he really believe that? or is it just his refusal to accept he could father a dwarf?); or maybe a combination of these facts, we can't know.

As for the fact he was a kindly old man to Arya and a b*stard to to his own son, this happens in real life with some parents who only see the faults in their own kids, whilst being less prejudiced with other peoples.

As for his change of heart from Season 1, when he acknowledged Tyrion as his son and sent him off to rule in his stead, there are 2 possibilities that I can think of: The first is that he meant what he said at the time, but was furious when he found out that Tyrion disobeyed him and took a "**** to court". The second is more calculating: He deliberately used Tyrion as a tool when it suited him, knowing he could discard him when he no longer needed him and then could safely pour out his bile onto Tyrion! If the second part is true, then it certainly puts an interesting slant on his character.

As for Bronn being knighted, I suspect that many people were honoured after Blackwater, and whilst joffrey would NEVER give Tyrion any credit, Bronn would have been known to have played a major part in its defence. the knighthood and any other sweetener may have also been an attempt by someone to prise him away from Tyrion (although that may be a guess too far since that doesn't seem to have worked!) As for him being broke, maybe that's BECAUSE he spends all his time in high class whorehouses:p

Finally, I don't think they are burning captured prisoner's as such, more Stannis's people that are speaking out against Melisandre. I think this is Mel building up her power base by removing dissenters, and helping people convert to the red god. there is nothing like a lick of flame at someone's toes to help them sing R'hlors praises just that little bit more loudly and fervently;)
  • BigFoot87BigFoot87 Posts: 9,293
    Forum Member
    That's the point I'm making. We're either a "We let info about upcoming episodes be posted (spoilers)" or a "We only talk about what's already aired in the US (non-spoiler)"

What is in bold, is known.

It is known. ;) ,..anything up to and including the last shown US episode I imagine.

Oh yeah, early renewal for Season 4!
    http://www.tvwise.co.uk/2013/04/hbo-renews-game-of-thrones-for-season-4/
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry, what i meant was: As this is a Spoiler Thread, are people going to start discussing upcoming events?

Like, for example, after episode 3 has aired, someone can say "Well in the next episode, x character will do <thing>, while y character does <other thing>" - And then they'll say "Well this is a spoiler thread...."

No we don't usually talk about things which are coming up unless they've been in the trailer (in which case the spoiler tag should be used) and there shouldn't be any book talk in this thread at all.
    It's spoilered because it's at US pace so the episode which is yet to air in the UK will be being discussed before those who are waiting have seen it.
    I think Aiden Gillen is awful. Littlefinger is one of my favourite characters, but his portrayal has always left much to be desired. He makes it seem as if Littlefinger's a man more enamoured with his own intelligence than is deserving.

I think that sums up Littlefinger perfectly tbh :)
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    whedon247 wrote: »
    , just ceaser it is lol

For now.
    Brutus will be turning up later.
    Forum Member
    Cadiva wrote: »
    I think that sums up Littlefinger perfectly tbh :)

Well, Littlefinger has an ego but he is also one of the most intelligent characters in the series. There are quite a few characters are stupider than they are in the novels too - Jon Snow and Catelyn come to mind.
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, Littlefinger has an ego but he is also one of the most intelligent characters in the series. There are quite a few characters are stupider than they are in the novels too - Jon Snow and Catelyn come to mind.

I don't think Aiden Gillen's performance of Littlefinger is making him look stupid. I think his performance of Littlefinger is in keeping which the character in the book who likes to give the impression (whether true or not we, the audience are still unaware) that he knows everything that is going on and is control of a lot of it.
    And I think he is full of his own importance, both in book and on screen, something I think Gillen also portrays very well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    quick question about s3e1

what happened at harrenhal? did clegane kill northern prisoners and then leave before robb got there?

or did robb send a few men out before him and they battled with celegane and lannisters and made them flee?

i saw that the father of guard jamie lannister killed last season was dead so i guess rob stark must have sent an envoy to harrenhall?
  • SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kimotag wrote: »
    Loved the subtitled scene with Dani and the slave-master! " Tell the old man he stinks of piss":D

Throughout that entire scene i just kept hoping Dani or Jorah would turn around and say they knew what they were saying.
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow great episode, a few new characters introduced i noticed Mackenzie Crook but no Tywin or Dani. Good to see Clegane (The Hound) wonder if he will help Aria after he offered Sansa his help to get her home last series. Found the Joffrey scenes the most interesting but want to see what happens to jaime after that ending! Hopefully next weeks episode won't all be about Dani after her abscence this week!
  • mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Expected Diana Rigg to be brilliant, and of course, she was!

Glad Joffreys meeting his match with Margaery.
    Poignant speech by Catelyn re: Jon Snow.
    Loved Brans arc getting more air time too.
    More Ros! Missed Varys,Bronn & Mormont!
  • claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Olenna Tyrell might be my favourite character yet. I suspect watching her sass her way through King's Landing will be a delight.