Count Arthur Strong TV sitcom?

Comments

• SpacedoneSpacedone Posts: 2,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't the 8.30 slot the new 'Miranda' sitcom slot? Late enough to be a little bit saucy but early enough to still be family friendly?

Out of all the recent R4 comedies I think Count Arthur Strong is one that could work very well as a TV sitcom, especially with the involvement of Graham Linehan. It can't possibly be as much of a disappointment as the TV version (kind of) of Bleak Expectations, The Bleak Old Shoppe Of Stuff or whatever it was called, although that was largely down to Robert Webb being annoying.
  • Dr.  OtterblandDr. Otterbland Posts: 783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Delaney always thought the fully formed character was ideal for a TV show in the mould of Hancock, Steptoe and Son, Porridge.

It could fly or plummet, but if a bad Irish female impersonator can make it big on primetime just by saying **** a lot, then there's a big hope for Arthur's sit-com, if not I'll be furious....absolutely furious.
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Time will tell! Neither of those two appealed to me but I've no problem with them being on as plenty others obviously liked them.

I love comedy so here's hoping the Count works out but I'm not holding my breath from what I've seen and heard so far. If they were going to put anything that I've heard from the BBC's radio stable on tv I would have guessed Clare In The Community. A lot more boxes ticked for them...!

I love that show. I agree, it probably would work on TV, better than Count Arthur Strong, I would imagine.
  • ravensboroughravensborough Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    I love that show. I agree, it probably would work on TV, better than Count Arthur Strong, I would imagine.

Another massive Clare in the Community fan. It's been going on for years now, but it's still hilariously funny. I think a TV pilot was filmed in the 90s, but it was never picked up for a full series. I'd love to see it on TV. I think it could appeal to the Miranda audience (and a be a bit saucier too!)
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Spacedone wrote: »
    Isn't the 8.30 slot the new 'Miranda' sitcom slot? Late enough to be a little bit saucy but early enough to still be family friendly?
    Monday at 8:30 is a bit of a surprise though. Usually it's food or gardening progs.
  • jonno65jonno65 Posts: 188
    Forum Member
    EuroChris wrote: »
    Judging by the promo, it looks like yet another hammy, contrived and over acted sitcom. :sleep:

I am not sure if you have listened to all 7 radio shows, but CAS is a hammy , overacting actor or rather was. More of an annoying pensioner now.

I am really looking forward to this from the clips I have seen thus far.
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonno65 wrote: »
    I am not sure if you have listened to all 7 radio shows, but CAS is a hammy , overacting actor or rather was. More of an annoying pensioner now.

I am really looking forward to this from the clips I have seen thus far.

I wonder why old harry's game never got a tv show?.....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another massive Clare in the Community fan. It's been going on for years now, but it's still hilariously funny. I think a TV pilot was filmed in the 90s, but it was never picked up for a full series. I'd love to see it on TV. I think it could appeal to the Miranda audience (and a be a bit saucier too!)

I hate Claire in the community. She's such an unsympathetic character.....
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well done BBC count Arthur strong, the Wright way, citizen khan you really are at the forefront of comedy,
    Forum Member
    I hate Claire in the community. She's such an unsympathetic character.....

Er, that's the whole point of it. She masquerades as this right-on character but is massively self-obsessed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Er, that's the whole point of it. She masquerades as this right-on character but is massively self-obsessed.

I understand. But she really annoys me....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I loved Miranda and Mrs Browns Boys as well as 70s sitcoms, but this dire.

The guy playing 'Arthur Strong' is dreadful, what the hell's he doing with his shoulders? its irritating.

I haven't found any of it funny, which is strange as Graham Linehan co-wrote it. :confused:
    Forum Member

Yes, and Sally Phillips has screen acting skills to pull off the part on TV. Personally, I think it could have much wider appeal than Miranda, which seems targeted at women and their insecurities.
  • eurofandaveeurofandave Posts: 430
    Forum Member
    Bloody hell that was dire!!! I really thought this looked promising from the trailer.How wrong i was :D
  • SpacedoneSpacedone Posts: 2,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I take it this is going to be a Marmite show then. Half are saying it was dire, other half are saying they loved it and couldn't stop laughing.
  • TCD1975TCD1975 Posts: 3,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never listened to Count Arthur Strong on the radio, so I didn't know what to expect, but I very much enjoyed it.

I laughed at quite a lot of it. The only bit that fell flat for me was when Michael burst in to tears at the memorial service.

People seem very quick to slag off new comedy shows. I'll stick with it myself.
  • jriojrio Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found it very amusing and was very impressed by Steve Delaney as CAS. He was very convincing.

LOL at the pratfall, which I wasn't expecting and was very well executed.

I like comedy with a background story and this has that in depth - a guy resenting his father for perceived neglect slowly finds out that he was the apple of his father's eye.

Comedy with a warm heart.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spacedone wrote: »
    I take it this is going to be a Marmite show then. Half are saying it was dire, other half are saying they loved it and couldn't stop laughing.

Who has said they loved it and couldn't stop laughing?:confused:

I found a few bits funny, but overall was left rather "meh"
    Certainly expected better with Linehan being involved.:(
  • hooterhooter Posts: 30,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TCD1975 wrote: »
    I've never listened to Count Arthur Strong on the radio, so I didn't know what to expect, but I very much enjoyed it.

I laughed at quite a lot of it. The only bit that fell flat for me was when Michael burst in to tears at the memorial service.

People seem very quick to slag off new comedy shows. I'll stick with it myself.

Have been listening to CAS on the radio for some time...loved the move to the tele!!:D

Well done!:D
  • broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am going to watch for the badtempered cafe ownerat
  • AZZURRI 06AZZURRI 06 Posts: 11,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like a couple of my fellow posters I too thought CAS was a repeat from the Sixties, it was only when he made references to current topics that the penny dropped. Incidentally, I think The Brothers is one of the best things on Radio 4 Extra, Pauline McLynn steals the show as Oonagh.
  • mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,760
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    Who has said they loved it and couldn't stop laughing?:confused:

I found a few bits funny, but overall was left rather "meh"
    Certainly expected better with Linehan being involved.:(

Sitting on the dire side.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mixed reaction on twitter. A split between absolutely dreadful and absolutely brilliant. Surprised by the clear split. It was absolutely dreadful.
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed it for the most part, rare is the sitcom that springs out of the box fully worked up and ready to slay us all. The best bits happened to be those which you could watch with your eyes closed :)
  • David_ArcherDavid_Archer Posts: 258
    Forum Member
    I had no idea who CAS is/was so recorded it while I was at work. Watched when I got home and really enjoyed it. Strangely old fashioned but had laugh out loud moments. Suited BBC1 more than BBC2 IMO. Will watch next week