Stella

Comments

• derek500derek500 Posts: 24,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikebuk wrote: »
    I'd assume he is speaking Welsh rather than mumbling his words. Is he so protective over his native language as it seems improbable he can't speak English.

The actor gets the script in English and makes up his own mumbling. The joke is, is that all the characters understand him, but the audience doesn't.

There was a behind the scenes documentary on 'on demand' that explained it all.
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evs814 wrote: »
    Geordie?? You don't mean the lovely, and very Welsh, Owen Teale do you?

First time I saw him was a Catherine Cookson play in the West End. Always thought he was Geordie too!!
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mikebuk wrote: »
    I'd assume he is speaking Welsh rather than mumbling his words. Is he so protective over his native language as it seems improbable he can't speak English.

I'd like to bury the funeral woman and that Geordie idiot underground in a coffin, lets see if they can get it on there. Don't you hate people who think their sex lives are going to interest everyone.

He's definitely not speaking Welsh, its just gibberish that the actor comes up with.

And Owen Teale isn't Geordie, he was born in the Bridgend area I think.
    AZ fan wrote: »
    That's interesting because the subtitles always have him down as speaking Welsh :D

Then they're mis-informed :)
    sueh21 wrote: »
    I thought that and also the lady doing the scan looked very much like Stacey's mum.

It was indeed Melanie Walters.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    sueh21 wrote: »
    I thought that and also the lady doing the scan looked very much like Stacey's mum.

Yes, she was Stacey's mum :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    Stella is a great programme and deserves a wider audience. I bet it would be a hit on mainstream too. Sky viewing figures are comparatively low for even their top shows. :confused:
  • Evs814Evs814 Posts: 286
    Forum Member
    Bump for this thread before episode 3 tonight at 9, Sky1.

Can't wait!
  • jnojno Posts: 871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last night - ep 3 of series 2 was a bit poor I thought, couple of laughs but the whole cliffhanger for series 1 is all back to where we were at the start of series 1 again now.

This second series is a bit slow, there are a few laughs but few and far between.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    It was nice seeing a softer side to auntie Brenda in Friday's episode when Sean left the house and she consoled Stella.

I hope Sean will be returning soon to fight for Stella.
  • NeomysterioNeomysterio Posts: 13,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loves me some Stella.

I want to more of the awesome Bethan! *Coffee please.....* :D
  • Yorkshire.KingYorkshire.King Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The blonde with the tanning salon has a great body - amazing legs! Totally ditsy character though
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The blonde with the tanning salon has a great body - amazing legs! Totally ditsy character though

She's the spit of one of my fitness teachers, both in looks and personality. I don't think she'd think so herself though!
  • robotrobot Posts: 1,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just saw the first episode of Stella tonight on Pick TV (or skythursday). Very good indeed, probably one of the best-ever original productions on BSkyB. Ruth Jones is a really fine writer. Great characters and a quality script. Looking forward to episode 2..

Just annoying that there were at many Sky ads in the breaks!
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    I've never heard any Welsh people pepper their speech with the word "cocking" before.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    I've never heard any Welsh people pepper their speech with the word "cocking" before.

Me neither, but then I don't know if that in particular is supposed to reflect Valleys speech in general or just specifically the type of character the woman is.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 372
    Forum Member
    Great episode tonight.....some real LOL moments. I have a feeling a lot of people are missing this fab series :)
  • guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    Not a good episode imo, had to skip quite a few scenes, the cafe one with Paul Kaye, Alan and the 'cocking' woman and the counselling scenes, too many awful characters together. I normally like Dai but there was some godawful acting from him tonight.

I miss Stella's parents, they were so much better than Auntie Brenda, and Sean better be coming back I miss him as well. Not enjoying this series as much as the last :(
    Me neither, but then I don't know if that in particular is supposed to reflect Valleys speech in general or just specifically the type of character the woman is.

I think it's most likely the latter given that only one character uses the word.
  • Sharona68Sharona68 Posts: 1,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    strewth wrote: »
    Great episode tonight.....some real LOL moments. I have a feeling a lot of people are missing this fab series :)

I loved this episode, laughed aloud lots too. I'm also actually warming to Rob.
  • shoppingqueenshoppingqueen Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    I'm disappointed by series 2, after loving series 1! Also I much preferred the parents to Auntie Brenda, hoping s2 grows on me, it is slower! but s1 was near perfect comedy for me
  • GibsonGirlGibsonGirl Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm disappointed by series 2, after loving series 1! Also I much preferred the parents to Auntie Brenda, hoping s2 grows on me, it is slower! but s1 was near perfect comedy for me

That's exactly how I feel. It's turned too soapy for me. What with all the relationship breakdowns (Stella's neighbours across road have even split up), the false pregnancy, and the introduction of two obnoxious characters (the Aunt and Alan's ex). Not enough Daddy either.

I just hope the show lightens up again. It is too serious at the moment.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 235
    Forum Member

I have to agree, I thought the first series was lovely, quite heartwarming but very funny. Sadly I just find this series annoying and disjointed. I don't know why but it doesn't seem to flow properly somehow, I just find that the hour drags and I'm really not enjoying it. I won't give up on it yet though because I'm hoping for an improvement.
  • MishcollMishcoll Posts: 12,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm struggling with this series aswell - not enough Sean - he better be back soon, please don't let Stella get with Rob, not liking the Emma/Suni storyline either. I'll stick with it though as I loved loved loved the 1st series, still 6 more episodes to go to improve.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 372
    Forum Member
    Brilliant episode tonight. Really well written. Some good storylines set up and I'm even warming to Rob! :)
  • susan24susan24 Posts: 687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm with the very disappointed group I'm afraid. This series has been such a disaster for me. I don't like what has been done with some of the characters and I positively dislike obnoxious, arrogant Rob. I keep changing channels and yet series one, I couldn't wait to see.
  • MishcollMishcoll Posts: 12,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone know if Sean is coming back at all? Is it just the way Ruth has written it or did Kenny Doughty want to leave?

Really missed Sean this episode, not taking to Rob at all :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    Mishcoll wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Sean is coming back at all? Is it just the way Ruth has written it or did Kenny Doughty want to leave?

Really missed Sean this episode, not taking to Rob at all :(

I agree, think Stella is much better suited to Sean than Rob. I hope he's coming back. I'm hoping he may be back to help Luke with his boxing fight with Lenny.