The Bill (Drama Pace)

Comments

• ReadingfanReadingfan Posts: 10,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think one thing they did well with the Stamp storyline was to slowly fade it in to the background - for today's and yesterday's episode there was another storyline which dominated it.

In many ways I guess it's been mainly uniform so far what with 1 big storyline looking at Santini/Fox and the next looking at Stamp - that's all we've had so far basically. I believe the next few episodes are CID which could be interesting; I do generally prefer uniform stories but I think this CID was largely excellent. I've not seen a number of episodes from this point until Tinderbox (the point where Alibi started in 09) so I'm looking forward to watching them again - Section F is one of my all-time favourites!
  • darrenh2011darrenh2011 Posts: 2,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Burnside returns in a couple of episodes time
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Out of interest how many are watching these particular episodes - or even the show full stop - for the first time? And how many have seen them before?
  • darrenh2011darrenh2011 Posts: 2,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    first time for me
  • tubzy2001tubzy2001 Posts: 1,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    @UKTV: NEWS: Brand new @Drama_channel is moving up to Sky channel 166 from Wednesday July 24. It will remain on Freeview 20 http://t.co/zWcjCrTa6W
  • Bonesy84Bonesy84 Posts: 5,741
    Forum Member
    First time for me although i think caught a few on UK Gold years ago
  • MinnimoMinnimo Posts: 5,741
    Forum Member
    OK I think I'm gonna cry!! Does drama have a place on virgin?
  • Oblido2007Oblido2007 Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember these episode first time round, in fact I remember recording the episodes on VHS! I sold me video collection of The Bill for £200+, on eBay, a few years ago!

Only just started watching the episodes on Drama (since Monday). I'm gutted I missed the recent Santini/Rosie storyline!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was good to see Kerry Holmes today although it felt a bit of a filler episode - I generally prefer either/both uniform episodes or episodes with a compilation of the whole cast. You only really saw Boulton and Holmes (and sometimes Meadows) doing anything significant in this one - a lot of the cast didn't even speak! I'd say this was probably the weakest episode so far although it wasn't awful.

I'd say 5/10 by the standard of the past fortnight. (I don't think we've had a 10/10 yet, though Bang Bang You're dead and Making Up would both get 9/10.)
  • LittleGirlOf7LittleGirlOf7 Posts: 9,344
    Forum Member
    The only issue I had with the ending of the Tony Stamp/Simon Attwell storyline is that surely Jane Douglas would/should be done for withholding evidence. She said nothing in her statement or in court of knowing Simon had just walking out into the path of the car. Tony was convicted of dangerous driving and has that on his record, yet he's quite happy to let her get away with being a miserable sow with a half arsed taste for revenge.

Also, why would that solicitor leave his car at a station and get the train to his flat?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I guess Tony was the only one who knew and having finally reached some kind of compromise with her it would have been unwise to arrest her for that (didn't he say that 'I wouldn't blame you' if she had lied?)

I suppose editorially it might not have been the most desirable outcome either (although maybe for some people!) The way they did it at least drew a line under it all.

Interested to see the two Burnside episodes - it's been a while since I've seen them.
  • allthingsukallthingsuk Posts: 6,035
    Forum Member
    Decent episode.

Self-contained episode containing two CID officers, Boulton and Holmes, as the investigating officers, very much like the half-hour era. Had the feel of a half-hour era episode but with more storyline development. I was half expecting the episode to end when everyone got arrested at the nightclub to realise there was still half an hour left of the episode.

Enjoyed the episode - it was different to the multi-episode storylines we've had of late. Nice to see Boulton, although he does come across as self-righteous and willing to bend the rules.

The crime plot was a little contrived but entertaining.

6/10.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Upon reflection maybe 5 was a bit harsh - I might push it up to a 6. It was around average but ok. I get the sense this might have worked better as a half hour episode. It felt like an hour was a bit long for just that 1 storyline to me - I think you make a good point about the time format. Have you watched these before allthingsuk?
  • Dan_CbbcDan_Cbbc Posts: 1,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not long watched an episode called "Search Me" now wait till you get to that there's some brilliant chemistry between Brownlow, Conway and the Relief.

I see Drama are still cutting stuff out, not really very respectful to viewers is it?

It's like there saying oh here's 1998 episodes of The Bill which were last shown in 2002, but your not getting them in full we'll cut 5 minutes out of each episode.
    Forum Member
    Readingfan wrote: »
    Upon reflection maybe 5 was a bit harsh - I might push it up to a 6. It was around average but ok. I get the sense this might have worked better as a half hour episode. It felt like an hour was a bit long for just that 1 storyline to me - I think you make a good point about the time format. Have you watched these before allthingsuk?

Apart from the Tony Stamp/Jane Attwell story arc, these episodes are all new to me up until some late 1999 episodes.

This would have made a great half-hour episode, Maybe the writers were still getting used to writing for an hour hence the patchy nature of the episode.
    Dan_Cbbc wrote: »
    Not long watched an episode called "Search Me" now wait till you get to that there's some brilliant chemistry between Brownlow, Conway and the Relief.

Seen it. Very political episode, well-written and very developed. Loved seeing Brownlow and Conway - so underused at times. I think it was based around the Macpherson Report so very topical episode at the time.

And btw, weren't 1998 episodes last shown on UK Gold in summer 2004, not 2002/03? :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apart from the Tony Stamp/Jane Attwell story arc, these episodes are all new to me up until some late 1999 episodes.

This would have made a great half-hour episode, Maybe the writers were still getting used to writing for an hour hence the patchy nature of the episode.

Seen it. Very political episode, well-written and very developed. Loved seeing Brownlow and Conway - so underused at times. I think it was based around the Macpherson Report so very topical episode at the time.

And btw, weren't 1998 episodes last shown on UK Gold in summer 2004, not 2002/03? :)

Nope they started from the beginning of 1999, so these haven't been shown since December 2002.
    Forum Member
    Nope they started from the beginning of 1999, so these haven't been shown since December 2002.

I'm pretty sure they showed the Eddie Santini/Rosie Fox episodes starting August 2004, as I remember watching them.

But I don't think the 1998 half-hour eps (apart from a few) have been repeated since 2002.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

These episodes were definitely shown on Gold (or whatever it was then! :D) in August 2004. And I agree that Search Me is a great episode - Section F is the one I'm really looking forward to in the near future.
    Forum Member
    Readingfan wrote: »
    These episodes were definitely shown on Gold (or whatever it was then! :D) in August 2004. And I agree that Search Me is a great episode - Section F is the one I'm really looking forward to in the near future.

Never seen Section F but looks good.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im sorry my mistake then I was told a few years ago that they started from January 1999, my mistake though.
    Forum Member
    Im sorry my mistake then I was told a few years ago that they started from January 1999, my mistake though.

Someone may have mixed it up with two things:
    1. January 1999 may have been the point UK Gold rewound back to 1993 since they were doing early 1998 episodes in and around this time.
    2. The point at which Alibi started The Bill repeats, which was from 1999 eps.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I see Drama are still cutting stuff out, not really very respectful to viewers is it?

It's like there saying oh here's 1998 episodes of The Bill which were last shown in 2002, but your not getting them in full we'll cut 5 minutes out of each episode.

Agreed it's not respectful - it's not even as if it's every now and again! As I've said before (and now emailed to UKTV) they really should at the very least just ditch the 8am repeat and have an uncut 70 minute episode or whatever from 8-9.10 or something.

I've tried to provide links to the missing parts of episodes when I've been able to find them online - unfortunately The Cross doesn't seem to be available. If anyone knows where the missing scenes could be found then that would be great!
  • davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a few episodes behind everyone else (i'm recording this on series link) the episode I last watched was Stamp's day in court where he was found 'not guilty'. I loved this episode and the fact that the entire episode was set inside the court and was focused on the whole court case. Ashton and Quinnan were both wrestling with their consciences over giving evidence for and against Stamp - there was nothing sensational about the whole court case - the human drama and emotion all came out naturally. Fantastic episode. I'm loving this era completely. I've never seen the Fox/Santini or Stamp court case episodes. I've only watched 1999 episodes onwards, so it's great to see these for the first time.

I'm going to keep my favourite episodes on my Freeview box, so I can go back and rewatch them whenever I want :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep wires have been crossed somewhere along the way, I've got the uncut version of The Cross on my hardrive from a torrent. so i'll check it off the 12am showing tonight and see what scenes are missing.

Have you two either seen the episode All Fall Down Part 1 and 2, anyone agree that the episode really did live up too it's name and did fall down after this?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep wires have been crossed somewhere along the way, I've got the uncut version of The Cross on my hardrive from a torrent. so i'll check it off the 12am showing tonight and see what scenes are missing.

Have you two either seen the episode All Fall Down Part 1 and 2, anyone agree that the episode really did live up too it's name and did fall down after this?

Yep brilliant episodes but also agree that it was the beginning of the end! There were still some great moments after that but I don't think it ever consistently hit the same heights. They just lost too many great characters in 1 go (and introduced poorer characters to replace them.) When things are going well then you don't need big cast clearouts (although I do recognise that many of the actors chose to leave.)