Doctor Who - Season 8

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just heard Ricky Gervaise is lined up to take over from Moffat. Apparently it would mean Karl Pilkington would take over as the doctor. This originates from someone who works at the BBC.
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    I just heard Ricky Gervaise is lined up to take over from Moffat. Apparently it would mean Karl Pilkington would take over as the doctor. This originates from someone who works at the BBC.

Sarky! lol :)
  • nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member

:D

That is , indeed, one of the tools at our disposal when judging information - our ability to distinguish between palpable nonsense, plausible but unverified stuff and the extent to which actual events bear out the predictions. Some insiders really do know what is going on. Others are frauds and lunatics. The trick is not to mistake one for the other
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hey -are you trying to call me an insider? :p

Um, I mean are you trying to call my totally real, non imaginary friend, an insider?
    Forum Member
    Hey -are you trying to call me an insider? :p

Um, I mean are you trying to call my totally real, non imaginary friend, an insider?

I would never accuse your totally real non imaginary friend of being a lunatic, Kyller.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can already see some angry letters to MPs, and also to the daily mail, coming on.
  • DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,931
    Forum Member
    Blimey, someone's actually complained to the Beeb about it all:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s7/doctor-who/news/a458915/doctor-who-bbc-responds-to-fan-complaints-over-50th-anniversary.html

Wasn't me, honest!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nebogipfel wrote: »
    I would never accuse your totally real non imaginary friend of being a lunatic, Kyller.

Lunatic? .... well ok, I can't deny that one :D
    DiscoP wrote: »

I hope that the BBC don't take that as a complaint against the show itself. We all want more Doctor Who on the telly because it is a good show and we like watching it.

The problem has been that expectations were raised so high, by the BBC, that we would be getting loads of Doctor Who on the telly for this year.

Now tiny snippets of news are coming out, about what we are actually getting, that is why some people are feeling let down that we are actually, instead getting less than what we've had in previous years. (instead of just telling what they know- which might include some unspecified events, but they could just tell us that they don't know certain things yet, but what we do know is this, this and this) It is a legitimate complaint because people feel they have been led down the garden path. I do feel some sympathy with the argument, but the danger is that complaining about this could be perceived as complaints against the show itself, rather than the scheduling/amount/timing or whatever you want to call it.

It wasn't me who put the complaint in, incase anyone is wondering lol:)
    Forum Member
    I found the reply quite strange because the BBC were keen to point out once again that the mid season split was for creative reasons, whereas Moffat is keen to point out that it is not his decision. You would have thought that they could have decided amongst themselves who is responsible in the two years since all this began.
  • davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    The BBC made the decision -- for creative reasons -- Moffat supported it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it sounds a bit like Moffat is trying to come up with excuses for what's been foisted upon him by those higher up at the BBC. If he said what he really thought he's probably be fired.
    Forum Member
    The BBC made the decision -- for creative reasons -- Moffat supported it.

I guess I was always under the impression that it was the showrunner who made the creative decisions though :)
  • davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    Hmmm... maybe Moffat told the Beeb about Karen and Arthur leaving, and when they were told they were leaving halfway through the series, the beeb told him they wanted to market it as series
    7B because of the potential? :)
    Forum Member
    Hmmm... maybe Moffat told the Beeb about Karen and Arthur leaving, and when they were told they were leaving halfway through the series, the beeb told him they wanted to market it as series
    7B because of the potential? :)

Er.... except the splitting of the fourteen episodes over two years was decided on in early 2011 at the latest. And Moffat recently said that the scheduling of the episodes was nothing to do with him and that BBC management just told him when the episodes were going to be shown and he had to just get on with it. (but at the time Cohen said it was because Moffat was overworked and needed a break, but Moffat angrily denied that and said he wasn't).

Apart from that...it was "creative" reasons. :D

In much the same way that the peculiar cliffhanger in series six was also originally said to be for "creative reasons". Until Moffat said that it was actually because the BBC told him there would be a split so he used that to work his cliffhanger into the series.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is that the same 'creative' as in what happens when bands split up because of 'creative' differences? :)

I think someone doesn't like someone in the BBC hierarchy, and unfortunately it is messing with our Dr Who.
    Forum Member
    Is that the same 'creative' as in what happens when bands split up because of 'creative' differences? :)

I think someone doesn't like someone in the BBC hierarchy, and unfortunately it is messing with our Dr Who.

Yes - those sort of "creative" reasons. ;) As I say - we can safely disregard this latest use of the "creative reasons" version of the series 7 split because Moffat has already told us in public that it wasn't. The BBC aren't very good at keeping their PR statements in line with what the production team have said.

By now I think it is safe to say that comments from the BBC about what the bobbins is happening, has happened, will happen or why any of it happens can all be treated with some degree of bemusement.

Just sit back and wait for episodes to turn up at varying intervals.
  • joe_000joe_000 Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe we should have a split in Eastenders too for creative reasons or in Casualty/Holby city - they seem to be on all the time!!!!!
    Forum Member
    In all honesty, I think the split was for financial reasons. Otherwise, we'd have season 8 starting in September and split across 2013/14 - rather than a one-off anniversary special.

Essentially, we've had a single season split across two years. From what nebogipfel has said, I'd say Private Eye was the better source of information about what actually happened.

Still, as long as we get season 8 by spring next year (and not another year of 'specials' or a start date in September 2014) I guess it will be OK.
  • andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    DiscoP wrote: »
    The 12 regenerations limit was ditched ages ago anyway...

Really ? When was that ? and don't refer to that throw away line in the SJA " Death of the Doctor" as that was only a joke.

As to series 8, if the BBC don't film and show at least 13 episodes plus a Christmas special, then imo they are just taking the urine out of the fans.
  • Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they start filming again this summer there should be enough time.Could be interesting if 11 is going to leave in the begining or middle of S8 regenerating into 12. 11 was told about his "fall" at Trenzalore a long time ago. April 22nd 2011 a busy day he got married then "died". Realy hope S8 is shown all in one go next year.
    Forum Member
    andy1231 wrote: »
    Really ? When was that ? and don't refer to that throw away line in the SJA " Death of the Doctor" as that was only a joke.

As to series 8, if the BBC don't film and show at least 13 episodes plus a Christmas special, then imo they are just taking the urine out of the fans.

I think this is what DiscoP meant. But yeah, it was done as a joke - Russell having a laugh with the fanbase. Nicely done. Made me laugh. :) The regeneration limit isn't something I get worked up about. If and when the time comes they'll either ignore it (which would be a shame) or come up with a way for the Doctor to solve it. After all, the Master did. In fact, the possibility that the limit can be worked round was the plot of the very first story in which it was mentioned. In all ongoing serials nearly everything that is said to be a finality ends up being worked round. In Doctor Who the end of the universe wasn't even the end of the universe. I don't think it need be a very big deal.
    Forum Member
    nebogipfel wrote: »
    I think this is what DiscoP meant. But yeah, it was done as a joke - Russell having a laugh with the fanbase. Nicely done. Made me laugh. :) The regeneration limit isn't something I get worked up about. If and when the time comes they'll either ignore it (which would be a shame) or come up with a way for the Doctor to solve it. After all, the Master did.

In The Five Doctors, the Master was offered a complete new regeneration cycle if he rescued the Doctor. So it looks like the mechanism is already in place!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can think of loads of 'creative' ways to end Eastenders, Casualty, Holby, Doctors, Dancing on ice in the jungle ( or whatever they are all called- and I recently found out just the wage bill for the dancing one was 9 million for one series).

A top class show like Dr Who should not be having huge splits in the middle. I could go for one maybe 2 months at the most -especially if it was over Christmas or something- then it is still fresh in the memory and there can be a bit of build up waiting to see what happens next. But waiting months and months in between is just ridiculous. Too long and people just either forget or become not bothered about it.

It is no wonder people are worried about them gearing up to cancel the show. If some exec wants to bin it, but fears the backlash, then the first thing they'd do is mess with it and try to make the viewing figures drop. So then they can have their excuse for axing the show. I have no idea if that is what is happening. I hope it is not and I don't really believe that is what is happening, but I certainly understand that a lot of people fear exactly this, as there is some circumstantial evidence. Especially when it is happening around a special occasion, when you'd normally expect loads extra from them.

The regenerations limit thing doesn't need to be a problem at all. I don't think it's been mentioned in the new series, In classic who it was shown to be overcome. It could just be safely ignored I think in the current era, and the limit assumed to have gone along with the timelords. It was they who seemed to have some sort of control, at some point, over the number of regens. Now they aren't there they can't limit it, maybe they even lost the ability to during the time war or something too.
    Forum Member

Yep. I was referring to the line is SJA.

If it's good enough for the Guardian then it's good enough for me :)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2010/oct/12/doctor-who-immortal-reveals-bbc

I love it when things that fans get their knickers in a twist about are explained away with one liners and cheeky references, such as when the eleventh doctor explains that temporal grace in the Tardis was just "a clever lie" or the tenth doctors reference to the UNIT dating controversy with something like "things were a little hazy back then".
  • ShoppyShoppy Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree.

I'm still not ruling out a late start for S8 with 4 eps showing between the anniversary and xmas.

That would give us 14 eps over the course of the year with at least 2 of them being 60 minutes ..... Is that really too much to ask?