The Returned Ch4- anybody watching?

I am interested to hear what everyone else thinks...

Comments

• lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really. :o am i missing something good?
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thread over in UK TV :)
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lordOfTime wrote: »
    Not really. :o am i missing something good?

Excellent.... If you don mind French with subtitles.
  • lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent.... If you don mind French with subtitles.

Think it'll probably pass me by. At the forefront of my import viewing are Revolution and Touch.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    I am interested to hear what everyone else thinks...

very good indeed ..i shall be watching it all ...subtitles are no obstacle to good drama
  • rachael7rachael7 Posts: 1,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kingofmcr wrote: »
    very good indeed ..i shall be watching it all ...subtitles are no obstacle to good drama

I agree with you there, i've just watched and thought it was the best drama on the box since Spiral.
  • clitheroe1clitheroe1 Posts: 4,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was very good, I'll definitely be watching the rest of the series. Great way to brush up on my French language skills too!
  • kate36kate36 Posts: 13,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    im just catching up with this now..looks good so far!! i dont mind subtitles either:D
  • HarkAtHerHarkAtHer Posts: 2,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow.That first ep last night was possibly the best thing I have ever seen on tv.

I nearly didn't watch it, after it had been promoted as a 'cool French zombie series'. Not a fan of all that monsters-with-a-twist stuff. But then I read some rave reviews, and I do like French 'n' subtitles, so I gave it a go.

It was so good it's scary. Beautifully plotted, filmed, paced, acted. Brutal, gentle, haunting, unbearably sad in parts, it shows you an impossible thing and makes you believe it - even better, makes you want to believe it, on a personal level. Has television has ever done that before? As I say, scary territory.
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched the first episode on catch-up and quite enjoyed it. I'm hard of hearing, so used to subtitles.
  • Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought this was terrific. If only recent Doctor Who scripts were half as believable, scary and understated as this.

Brilliant first episode of a fascinating concept.

It is an 8 part series.

Having watched some of the best TV on our screens by being willing to watch with subtitles (eg the original The Killing, Borgen etc) I was prepared to give this a go, Very glad I did,

Any science fiction fan of something told through good story, good acting and an atmospheric setting will miss out if they do not at least give this a try.

If you are expecting The Waking Dead from the promos it is so far anything but. It is like that would be if written as a believable true story. Sort of.

Really this is a sci fi version of a very good crime thriller.

Oh, and just discovered, it is a 2012 TV remake of a 2004 film (hence the odd dating - 2002 crash, 2006 'now' ???).

Even better news it was a big success in France and series 2 is coming in 2014.:)
  • T.K.T.K. Posts: 19,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can someone give me a summary of each episode? The reviews seem to be good, but I just want to know how the plot progresses through each episode. It is a very interesting concept indeed. The trailer for the show is very eerie and cool.

This seems to be France's answer to the UK's "Utopia". Utopia was another show with a intriguing concept that was beautifully filmed, plotted, acted and also ultra-violent and brutal. Both shows have an eerie tone to them as well. This is what happens when TV executives let writers have creative freedom.
  • alibobsyalibobsy Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    Another positive vote here, brilliant, confusing, intelligent and fascinating-I loved the twist right at the end of the first episode.

I have also watched revolution as mentioned by the other poster and its ok, but extremely predictable and a lot of plot holes. This is head and shoulders above programmes like that, but they are different beasts. One is lightweight fun-chewing gum for the eyes, the other is one where you are left thinking about it for days and trying to work out how it will end.

Ali x
  • alibobsyalibobsy Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    T.K. Mazin wrote: »
    Can someone give me a summary of each episode? The reviews seem to be good, but I just want to know how the plot progresses through each episode. It is a very interesting concept indeed. The trailer for the show is very eerie and cool.

This seems to be France's answer to the UK's "Utopia". Utopia was another show with a intriguing concept that was beautifully filmed, plotted, acted and also ultra-violent and brutal. Both shows have an eerie tone to them as well. This is what happens when TV executives let writers have creative freedom.

A bit difficult to sum up as there were a number of intertwined stories, but the main theme was the fact there had been the coach crash where a whole bunch of local kids on a school trip were killed. One of the girls-Camille finds herself on the side of the mountain where the crash happened with her last memory being the trip itself. So she walks home alone and gives her family a hell of a shock. Various other people return from the dead, but don't seem to know they are dead-one guy sees his own tombstone.

Interestingly lights keep going on and off, especially when the resurrected walk by and they are all very hungry, but can't sleep.

Defo give it a go.

Ali x
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    subtitles. i watch everything with ST on anyway, as I tend to miss bits of dialogue otherwise.

local blockbusters have a DVD 99p sale, and i bought quite a few foreign language films, which have generally been interesting.

anyway, I watched this, and found it very interesting. The sound track definitely brings a feel of foreboding even when nothingsinister happens! Certainly as good as most other dramas on at the moment.
  • olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yes!!! loved it

cant wait for sunday

there is also a thread here if you want to have a look at what people thought

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1809216
  • olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

BIB there has only been one episode - it started on sunday night (9th) next episode is the 16th :D
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can someone give me a summary of each episode?

approach with caution as may contain spoilers:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Revenants_(TV_series)#Season_1
    olivej wrote: »
    BIB there has only been one episode - it started on sunday night (9th) next episode is the 16th :D

In the UK true, but season 1 aired in France last year
  • SteelEdgeSteelEdge Posts: 6,903
    Forum Member
    I absolutely loved the first episode, but there were a couple of things I didn't quite get,so I Googled the plot synopsis for episode 1 and the website I went onto had a few spoilers on it for upcoming episodes! :(

Thankfully they were things I had suspected from watching episode 1 and clicked off before I read anything else. Really looking forward to episode 2.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    French films/series are usually very classy, so I make a point of watching (Spiral, for instance).
    It took a while for me to realize that the Dead had all died at different times. And the loss of water at the dam is a puzzle.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant show
  • NightFallsNightFalls Posts: 8,596
    Forum Member
    Looking forward to the next episode, i am hooked. :) Well i have to get engrossed in something untill GoT returns.:(
  • BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    I quite like it but it needs to speed up a little. Only having 8 episodes there shouldnt really be much excuse. The second episode was very slow in terms of plot. I hope the next few episodes dont descend into constant 5 conversations/scenes like with Camille just constantly a repeat of the phrase "but you're dead/But im dead".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alibobsy wrote: »
    A bit difficult to sum up as there were a number of intertwined stories, but the main theme was the fact there had been the coach crash where a whole bunch of local kids on a school trip were killed. One of the girls-Camille finds herself on the side of the mountain where the crash happened with her last memory being the trip itself. So she walks home alone and gives her family a hell of a shock. Various other people return from the dead, but don't seem to know they are dead-one guy sees his own tombstone.

Interestingly lights keep going on and off, especially when the resurrected walk by and they are all very hungry, but can't sleep.

Defo give it a go.

Ali x

I see. Thanks. Sounds very intriguing.

Yes, I decided to begin watching it today. I'm just in the middle of watching Episode 1. The little boy, Victor gives me the heebie jeebies :eek:.
    Seems like they're setting up a web of mysteries to be solved such as the lowering water level and power outages. Not to mention the mystery regarding the Returned. Let's just hope the answers are worth the wait. The show does remind me a bit of "Twin Peaks" with its small town strangeness. I'm hooked.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    olivej wrote: »

Lol, yeah, I thought I missed at least 4 episodes or something. Glad to know I haven't missed too much as I want to catch up with the rest of you viewers :p.
    And thanks :cool:.