Check your "3" Bills Now !!!

TheRottweilerTheRottweiler Posts: 95
Forum Member
Just got my latest bill from 3 on the one plan

to my shock its over £100 when it should have been £40

phoned them up and its all about new years eve, sent a group message wishing everyone a happy new year.3 customer services have told me that if i send a group message to more than 10 people it gets converted to a MMS and these are chargable

after a long chat to a few people they have decided to refund the charges this once as a good will gesture, beware and get checking those bills

Comments

• jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member

phoned them up and its all about new years eve, sent a group message wishing everyone a happy new year.3 customer services have told me that if i send a group message to more than 10 people it gets converted to a MMS and these are chargable

after a long chat to a few people they have decided to refund the charges this once as a good will gesture, beware and get checking those bills

Isn't this standard practice? or am i wrong?
  • Lidtop2013Lidtop2013 Posts: 4,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never do that so I won't worry lol
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry can you explain how it cost £60 to send 10 MMS messages? something doesn't add up here, unless there was a hell of a lot of recipients in the 100s.

By the way that's the way a lot of handsets send group SMS or extra long SMS messages that are longer than 3 text messages long, it's the phone that does it not the network.

You can change the behaviour in the messaging settings in 'creation mode'.
  • PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

you don't even get a mms allowance with them? for £40 a month :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MMS is nearly never included in packages, only O2 charges 3 or 4 SMS messages out of your allowance for them. Most other networks don't include any MMS messages, so you'll pay around 25p each.

But that's what I don't understand, the OP must have sent hundreds.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    o2 payg i get 40 a month.

got the worksweb & simplicity boltons. gadz, sounds like a press on towel.

i have to put in £17.50 a month just for the boltons. don't know if that's good/bad/or meh.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    o2 payg i get 40 a month.

got the worksweb & simplicity boltons. gadz, sounds like a press on towel.

i have to put in £17.50 a month just for the boltons. don't know if that's good/bad/or meh.

A lot of people with smartphones have no need to send MMS and don't bother with addons as you can send email instead. I never bother.

It is concerning that Android covert group SMS into MMS and also any SMS over 3 SMS messages changes to an MMS.

This is not the phone company's fault. There's a google support thread with pages and pages of people complaining. The phone does warn you, but if you're at a new year party and had a few drinks you probably won't notice.

I still wonder how the OP spent £60, they must have sent 100s of them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used about 3 the last 4 months heavy user lol. everything else whatsapp.
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    Entire contacts list worth?? Could be it failed to send or retried to send as one or more failed... I'm unsure how Andriod does that side of things but the old Nokia/Erissons used to have a habit if doing that if you sent a heap and it semi failed.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    MMS is nearly never included in packages, only O2 charges 3 or 4 SMS messages out of your allowance for them. Most other networks don't include any MMS messages, so you'll pay around 25p each.

But that's what I don't understand, the OP must have sent hundreds.

I don't think that O2 does that anymore, not since its tariffs switched to "unlimited texts" a few years ago instead of a fixed amount. 1 MMS = 4 SMS works fine if you have a set limit of SMS, but not if it's "unlimited".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh right, it seems this new year a few people have fallen foul of this. This is the 3rd thread I've seen, 2nd on 3, but there was an Orange one too.
  • Lidtop2013Lidtop2013 Posts: 4,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    as someone else said above theres no need to send an mms, just send an email with the picture(s) in
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or use an app called whatsapp for android on three.I use it for sending mass messages, picture messages and videos as its free using the unlimited data.

I do find once you start using things like MMS,picture messaging,etc the bill does build up pretty quickly.
  • rottweilerrottweiler Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I thought text was free ?
    How was I supposed to know that if I send 1 text message to my entire phone book it would then send over 100 MMs ???
  • DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    The best thing to do is be a miserable git and don't send anyone anything. I find this costs me nothing. Also they then never buy you presents so you don't have to buy them any either saving you even less :)
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    DevonBloke wrote: »
    The best thing to do is be a miserable git and don't send anyone anything. I find this costs me nothing. Also they then never buy you presents so you don't have to buy them any either saving you even less :)

:D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rottweiler wrote: »
    Well I thought text was free ?
    How was I supposed to know that if I send 1 text message to my entire phone book it would then send over 100 MMs ???

It depends on the settings, you can have it so it warns you but depending on the handset and current settings it may be not not to warn. As I said if you open your test messages up and then go to settings, it's under creation mode.