how good are 3 mobile?

jazzyjakejazzyjake Posts: 1,083
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I am in london and due an upgrade

i want to leave EE as i think i can get better elsewhere

3 are really cheap but i have heard bad things about them...are they good?

Comments

• Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think this thread will probably answer your question...

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1858263
  • Lidtop2013Lidtop2013 Posts: 4,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That thread will do yeah, but incase you didn't understand it.............Three are brilliant generally speaking, been with them for years now and don't plan on leaving them
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    About the same in London to be honest. If you use the tube you'll notice the lack of 2G as you won't get 3G until your very much outside but in many stations i've found you still get a bar or two of 2G with EE. Obviously with the deeper ones you get nothing with any operator!

However if you are using Virgins great Wifi would help out a bit in these situations (obviously not for texts/calls just data/imessage etc)
  • Zee_BukhariZee_Bukhari Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been with them for 8 years, never had a problem. Speeds are always well above the competition.

Went around east London yesterday and noticed I had full signal literally everywhere, even within buildings.

Generally speaking I've noticed I always pick up a signal leaving tube stations on Three first when comparing it to giffgaff (o2) not sure when comparing to the other networks though.
  • barcajadenbarcajaden Posts: 1,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been with them for 8 years, never had a problem. Speeds are always well above the competition.

Went around east London yesterday and noticed I had full signal literally everywhere, even within buildings.

Generally speaking I've noticed I always pick up a signal leaving tube stations on Three first when comparing it to giffgaff (o2) not sure when comparing to the other networks though.

The thing is I've narrowed my choices down to 3 and 02...
    I've heard so many bad things about 3 that I'm scared to sign on to a 24 month contract lool
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barcajaden wrote: »
    I've heard so many bad things about 3 that I'm scared to sign on to a 24 month contract lool

What bad things have you heard?

Most of what people say is from how it was when they launched, 10 years ago which wasn't great as they were new.

These days they're generally better than all the other networks when it comes to 3G technology.

If you're in a tale between O2 and 3, 3 is definitely your choice, unless you need 2G coverage.

Which area do you live in?

A good thing to do is buy a PAYG sim card for O2 and 3 and test out the coverage between the 2. If you're someone who likes to use the internet on your phone your best bet would be 3 by far.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What bad things have you heard?

Most of what people say is from how it was when they launched, 10 years ago which wasn't great as they were new.

These days they're generally better than all the other networks when it comes to 3G technology.

If you're in a tale between O2 and 3, 3 is definitely your choice, unless you need 2G coverage.

Which area do you live in?

A good thing to do is buy a PAYG sim card for O2 and 3 and test out the coverage between the 2. If you're someone who likes to use the internet on your phone your best bet would be 3 by far.
    I live in Enfield London.
    I will be going university in London as well, russell square
  • JFCJFC Posts: 569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    been with three for a couple of years. there are great round london and fast data speeds for great prices. Also used o2 and their data was shocking.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I live in Enfield London.
    I will be going university in London as well, russell square

The coverage in central London on Three is exceptional, usually always full coverage, although as there are so many people in central London it can get congested and speeds are not as fast as they are in suburban areas, but this is the case with any network.

I have friends who live in Enfield and I always have pretty good coverage there.

Best bet is to test with a pay as you go sim card. If you're in London I'd highly recommend Three over O2.

Data on O2 is shockingly poor, slow and limited so if you're someone who likes to use bandwidth intensive apps like youtube etc go with Three.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I moved from EE to O2 and now I'm on the way to Three.

Essentially, everyone seems to say the same about Three: terrible customer service but fantastic network.
  • Simon_MoreSimon_More Posts: 709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am in Sheffield and regret leaving 3 for Vodafone. Never had an issue with any customer services I have had to deal with. I am going back in a month when my contract runs out.
  • interactiv-ukinteractiv-uk Posts: 627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

In London I would go for O2 - if you sign up to pay monthly and use the Tube, you can still make calls and texts as well as use the internet on your O2 iPhone or Android device with O2's free Tu Go service while connected to Virgin Wifi in tune stations underground. You can't do this with any other operator!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You will also find 3's sales staff a little more human than other mobile retailers....less pushy.
  • exterraexterra Posts: 159
    Forum Member
    re: o2 Tu go on the tube / virgin wifi "You can't do this with any other operator!"

You can just skype with the skype to go number set as your mobile - costs only a few pence and it's better to have great service above ground rather than rubbish service above ground and the ability to make occasional calls under ground given that wifi is limited to platforms and once you're in transit the o2 Tu go is useless. If you have something like an iphone, many messages will be iMessage, which works without the need for o2 Tu Go.
  • jazzyjakejazzyjake Posts: 1,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The coverage in central London on Three is exceptional, usually always full coverage, although as there are so many people in central London it can get congested and speeds are not as fast as they are in suburban areas, but this is the case with any network.

I have friends who live in Enfield and I always have pretty good coverage there.

Best bet is to test with a pay as you go sim card. If you're in London I'd highly recommend Three over O2.

Data on O2 is shockingly poor, slow and limited so if you're someone who likes to use bandwidth intensive apps like youtube etc go with Three.

hmm maybe ill give it a try
    i was thinking about getting 02 like i said but i heard their internet isnt particularly good.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In London I would go for O2 - if you sign up to pay monthly and use the Tube, you can still make calls and texts as well as use the internet on your O2 iPhone or Android device with O2's free Tu Go service while connected to Virgin Wifi in tune stations underground. You can't do this with any other operator!

That isn't worth it.

I use Virgin Wifi as my brother has Virgin Mobile, and the trains come and go so fast, it just doesn't warrant having an overall crap service above or underground.

O2's internet is terrible. I have a giffgaff account too and found it impossible to use maps near Wembley park or use the app store near Finchley road station.

Never had a problem doing that on Three, except in one dead spot in my area which is going to be sorted soon.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That isn't worth it.

I use Virgin Wifi as my brother has Virgin Mobile, and the trains come and go so fast, it just doesn't warrant having an overall crap service above or underground.

O2's internet is terrible. I have a giffgaff account too and found it impossible to use maps near Wembley park or use the app store near Finchley road station.

Never had a problem doing that on Three, except in one dead spot in my area which is going to be sorted soon.

hmm thinking of buying the htc one sim free

24 months is along time to be tied down
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jazzyjake wrote: »
    hmm thinking of buying the htc one sim free

24 months is along time to be tied down

I agree with you there.

I have a HTC One sim free, and I am on pay as you go with Three. All In One 15 add on gives 300 minutes, 3000 texts, unlimited data, perfect for my needs, even those 30 day contracts are no good for me.

I've been tied into contracts for the last 8 years, whether on my mums name years ago and my name in recent years, im tired of it !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with you there.

I have a HTC One sim free, and I am on pay as you go with Three. All In One 15 add on gives 300 minutes, 3000 texts, unlimited data, perfect for my needs, even those 30 day contracts are no good for me.

I've been tied into contracts for the last 8 years, whether on my mums name years ago and my name in recent years, im tired of it !

where did you buy the sim free phone from and also where is the best place to sell a phone?
    i have an iphone 4s and might sell it to raise money towards my htc one
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jazzyjake wrote: »
    where did you buy the sim free phone from and also where is the best place to sell a phone?
    i have an iphone 4s and might sell it to raise money towards my htc one

I got it from carphone as it was the cheapest place at the time.

I am guessing ebay would be a good place to start...
  • MissliMissli Posts: 3,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I joined 3 mobile just over a year ago, and have always had excellent customer service (call centre as bought online, but good!).

Their signal coverage is excellent, and they have some great packages. Would definitely recommend!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    Been with them for 2 weeks moved from T-Mobile who I personally think were good in London. Three destroy T-Mob for 3G speeds using DC speeds in London in the area's I work and live.

I can tell you, 3G speeds are great in Forest Gate, Euston, Stratford, Mile End, Whitechapel, Watford (here they are very fast). Tested in above locations and works great for me. Some times there is congestion but very usable. Quiet hours it's very fast.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nikzgfx wrote: »
    Been with them for 2 weeks moved from T-Mobile who I personally think were good in London. Three destroy T-Mob for 3G speeds using DC speeds in London in the area's I work and live.

I can tell you, 3G speeds are great in Forest Gate, Euston, Stratford, Mile End, Whitechapel, Watford (here they are very fast). Tested in above locations and works great for me. Some times there is congestion but very usable. Quiet hours it's very fast.

What about calling and texting? I hear 3 are great for Internet and poor for reception and customer service
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about calling and texting? I hear 3 are great for Internet and poor for reception and customer service

how can they have poor reception if they are great for internet.

Think about what you're saying
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    how can they have poor reception if they are great for internet.

Think about what you're saying

loool