Im assuming its curtains now for The Saturdays?

MysteriousOzMysteriousOz Posts: 6,230
Forum Member
They finally got their Number 1, but then as usual disappeared

To be fair they have so much against them, bad management, choice of singles, songs that feel picked out of a hat, no real sound and lack of care from them

I think they should probably hang up their mic's

Comments

• WhyHelloWorldWhyHelloWorld Posts: 15,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well that makes a lot of sense. They just got their first number 1, and now they should give up. Right, ok.
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh look another thread about this, they aren't going anywhere.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They're never going to be "huge" stars but I don't think they'll ever get dropped. They've been around since mid 2008 and have had thirteen top ten singles, one of which was a #1. They can't sell albums to save their lives and their singles usually plummet but I think they're quite happy with their moderate success. They've got three kids now and a dedicated fanbase so I think they just enjoy making and releasing music and having top ten singles and the occasional tour.
  • Lucylocket88Lucylocket88 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    Their single 'Disco Love' reached number five in the single charts not so long ago, which is hardly a flop. It is sad to see some people just want them to fail, because they are not a fan. I am not a fan of some artists, but I wouldn't want to see them fail. They are still releasing music, so no, they haven't disappeared.
  • tim18tim18 Posts: 737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They usually dont promote the album due to poor opening sales and thus dont have any further singles from the album. Of course it will flop harder as there is no promo and its the case of onto the next project

They need to go back to pure pop, with lots of promo like they first did with the chasing lights era (there best album)
  • 4troy74troy7 Posts: 8,925
    Forum Member
    I think they will release one more album then separate tbh.
  • kryskryskryskrys Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm thinking they'll release a greatest hits album and go on tour next year. If that's a success they'll continue, if not they'll call it a day.

If you look at Girls Aloud, they sold 400,000 copies of Chemistry, then their greatest hits the next year sold 1.2 million.

The Saturdays just need go to Xenomania and get a song as amazing as Something Kinda Ooooh...
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I've been a fan ever since If This Is Love came out in 2008 and I think they've still got a bit of life left. People have been writing them off since Wordshaker flopped but they keep coming back! They need to go back to their Chasing Lights sound for the next album and promote the hell out of it. The main problem is their management. They keep releasing the wrong songs as singles and each album campaign is mismanaged. Remember the Wordshaker fiasco?

Disco Love should never have been a single. Not Giving Up should have been released instead. And what was the point in releasing 30 Days? Even in the Chasing Lights era they f'ed up single releases slowly. The Comic Relief single should never have happened. Work should have been released instead of that. That song was released at the wrong time and it flopped because all the fans already had it on the album and because Michael Jackson had died the week before it was released and it was overshadowed by MJ songs.

I think they need a breakthrough hit that will get to No 1 and be known by people even if they are not massive fans of the group. Up, Ego, Higher or All Fired Up should have been breakthrough hits. They need their own Freak Like Me or Umbrella.
    Forum Member
    4troy7 wrote: »
    I think they will release one more album then separate tbh.

Yes, I am a fan of The Saturdays, but do think they will split in the next year, or two. Mollie has started modelling and this is a sign of a member branching out and doing their own thing. I think this is a sign of the Saturdays ending in the near future.
    Forum Member
    I've been a fan ever since If This Is Love came out in 2008 and I think they've still got a bit of life left. People have been writing them off since Wordshaker flopped but they keep coming back! They need to go back to their Chasing Lights sound for the next album and promote the hell out of it. The main problem is their management. They keep releasing the wrong songs as singles and each album campaign is mismanaged. Remember the Wordshaker fiasco?

Disco Love should never have been a single. Not Giving Up should have been released instead. And what was the point in releasing 30 Days? Even in the Chasing Lights era they f'ed up single releases slowly. The Comic Relief single should never have happened. Work should have been released instead of that. That song was released at the wrong time and it flopped because all the fans already had it on the album and because Michael Jackson had died the week before it was released and it was overshadowed by MJ songs.

I think they need a breakthrough hit that will get to No 1 and be known by people even if they are not massive fans of the group. Up, Ego, Higher or All Fired Up should have been breakthrough hits. They need their own Freak Like Me or Umbrella.

I disagree about Disco Love and 30 days. These songs managed top five and top ten, so I do not think it was a mistake to release these songs.

To me, it looks like Gentlemen and My Heart Takes Over were the wrong songs to release as singles, considering they didn't get top ten, or even a number eleven. I do still like Gentlemen though, but cannot stand My Heart Takes Over. What a bland piece of rubbish, this song is.

I personally do not think artists should need number ones constantly. Yes, it may be good for a group or singer, but as long as an artist can get top tens or a number eleven in the charts, then it is all good.:)
    Forum Member
    kryskrys wrote: »
    I'm thinking they'll release a greatest hits album and go on tour next year. If that's a success they'll continue, if not they'll call it a day.

If you look at Girls Aloud, they sold 400,000 copies of Chemistry, then their greatest hits the next year sold 1.2 million.

The Saturdays just need go to Xenomania and get a song as amazing as Something Kinda Ooooh...

I do not think The Saturdays need to release music like Girls Aloud. It was bad enough when they were new on the scene and people would constantly compare them to Girls Aloud. The Saturdays do not need this. The group has their own sound. I wouldn't want them singing similiar stuff to Girls Aloud.
  • NicoleRichNicoleRich Posts: 2,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They don't seem like they have many more miles in them tbh. They should have stuck with their pop sound on their debut album. The dance music has ruined them as a brand and they need a complete overhaul in styling department.
  • RobertfitzRobertfitz Posts: 2,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think we're going to hear plans for a Greatest Hits album pretty soon...
  • MysteriousOzMysteriousOz Posts: 6,230
    Forum Member
    Well that makes a lot of sense. They just got their first number 1, and now they should give up. Right, ok.

I think they gave up as soon as they got that number 1, that's what it became for them and now what they had has gone

They seem to constantly be chasing something, perhaps they should have gone back to the beginning as that's when they had some identity and sound

this thread shows that even fans don't have faith in them, the girls attitudes on tv and radio are quite obviously non fussed
  • FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do so many fans of manufactured pop acts complain about 'bad management'? Maybe people just don't like The Saturdays as much as you do. They aren't entitled to success!
  • chuck_wipplchuck_wippl Posts: 5,099
    Forum Member
    I hope so :sleep: Some alright songs, but they've always sort of been stuck in second gear to me. Never really exploded onto the scene, or took the charts or people's hearts by storm like they were supposed to.

I've also always thought that they should count themselves lucky that their label kept ploughing time, money and effort into them when they weren't really doing much. They were only kept in the lime light and given all those chances because GA had gone, Little Mix never turned out to be the big threat they'd intended, and the industry needed a good looking girl group.

All my opinion, of course! :eek: And goes without saying that I'm by no means a fan, but not a "hater" either. Just have always thought they were "a bit sh1t" :o Not terrible, but just...sh1t. But I do have 4 of their songs on my iPod! :D
    Forum Member
    FMKK wrote: »
    Why do so many fans of manufactured pop acts complain about 'bad management'? Maybe people just don't like The Saturdays as much as you do. They aren't entitled to success!

Considering the management sent them to America and make a reality tv show, rather than make them do a radio tour, speaks for itselt. The Saturdays do not have very good management, in my opinion.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Considering the management sent them to America and make a reality tv show, rather than make them do a radio tour, speaks for itselt. The Saturdays do not have very good management, in my opinion.

not forgetting What About Us was about to break the top 100 on iTunes and they made the girls fly back to UK for two months to do nothing.
    Forum Member
    I disagree about Disco Love and 30 days. These songs managed top five and top ten, so I do not think it was a mistake to release these songs.

To me, it looks like Gentlemen and My Heart Takes Over were the wrong songs to release as singles, considering they didn't get top ten, or even a number eleven. I do still like Gentlemen though, but cannot stand My Heart Takes Over. What a bland piece of rubbish, this song is.

I personally do not think artists should need number ones constantly. Yes, it may be good for a group or singer, but as long as an artist can get top tens or a number eleven in the charts, then it is all good.:)

It's all a matter of opinion and personal taste, but I find Disco Love to be one of their weakest singles so far. Not Giving Up would have been a better choice. It would have been a brilliant summer song. I liked My Heart Takes Over but I can see why people don't like it and there were better songs on OYR that could have been released. I thought it was a bit more R&B sounding and sounded like something Jennifer Hudson or Alicia Keys might have released. I might be in a minority but I preferred Gentleman to Disco Love.
    Robertfitz wrote: »
    I think we're going to hear plans for a Greatest Hits album pretty soon...

I doubt it would be called a Greatest Hits album though. Probably a Singles Collection. I think they should have released a singles collection alongside their latest album for the benefit of casual fans or new fans.
    Forum Member
    It's all a matter of opinion and personal taste, but I find Disco Love to be one of their weakest singles so far. Not Giving Up would have been a better choice. It would have been a brilliant summer song. I liked My Heart Takes Over but I can see why people don't like it and there were better songs on OYR that could have been released. I thought it was a bit more R&B sounding and sounded like something Jennifer Hudson or Alicia Keys might have released. I might be in a minority but I preferred Gentleman to Disco Love.

I doubt it would be called a Greatest Hits album though. Probably a Singles Collection. I think they should have released a singles collection alongside their latest album for the benefit of casual fans or new fans.

Yep, it is just a matter of taste and opinion. I hope when they release their Greatest Hits album, or singles collection, they include some b sides too. Flashback and Ladykiller are a couple of my favourites.
    Forum Member
    Yep, it is just a matter of taste and opinion. I hope when they release their Greatest Hits album, or singles collection, they include some b sides too. Flashback and Ladykiller are a couple of my favourites.

Yeah their B-sides are good. Some of them are better than the actual singles! Golden Rules, Unofficial, I Can't Wait, Had It With Today, Not That Kinda Girl, Ladykiller, So Stupid, Turn Myself In, the acoustic version of Somebody Else's Life and Wildfire are my favourite Saturdays B-sides :cool: Turn Myself In and Golden Rules should have been singles!
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If we do get a greatest hits then I want all the singles, at least 4 new tracks and a disc 2 with all of their b-sides.
    Forum Member

Yeah that was stupid. They should have focused on the music and not some reality TV crap. Releasing What About Us in the US first was stupid as well. Why oh why didn't they release Higher with Flo Rida as their US debut?
  • Sweet7Sweet7 Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Greatest Hits could save them - it did for Girls Aloud (ended up selling over a million copies).

They should do a greatest hits with a killer lead single next Autumn and if it sells well then they can build on that lead single sound and if not then they should call it a day.
  • kryskryskryskrys Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do not think The Saturdays need to release music like Girls Aloud. It was bad enough when they were new on the scene and people would constantly compare them to Girls Aloud. The Saturdays do not need this. The group has their own sound. I wouldn't want them singing similiar stuff to Girls Aloud.

I don't want them to sound like Girls Aloud either. I just said I want something as good as Girls Aloud's first greatest hits single. Something that sounds new and fresh. All Fired Up was a a Xenomania song and that sounded nothing like Girls Aloud. Whereas Gentleman was non-Xenomania and completely Girls Aloud.