Why don't people clean up after their dog?

2»

Comments

• PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    Your second paragraph made me smile, even my dressing gown pocket is full of poo bags, for when I take them out side for their wee first thing, not often they surprise me but I take my bags just in case.

Mine too. I stand in the back garden with my Bet Lynch dressing gown on with poo bags overflowing from the pockets.

I look a real catch !!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 127
    Forum Member
    I wish I knew the answer to the original question, although I HAVE been guilty of it when I found myself with a pooping dog and no bag:eek: (I really thought I had some when I left the house.) I used to give my sister some stick over this, she used to bend down and PRETEND to pick it up in case someone was watching. If you go to that much trouble, surely you may as pick it up while you're down there?

My dog once pooped right next to some horrible old poop that was already on the path and it was a busy area. I picked up my dog's doo and I was so worried in case anyone thought I'd just decided to leave those bits behind!! :D
    Forum Member
    Porcupine wrote: »
    Mine too. I stand in the back garden with my Bet Lynch dressing gown on with poo bags overflowing from the pockets.

I look a real catch !!

:D:D:D:D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Porcupine wrote: »

I look a real catch !!

:D:D:D

Made me smile.
  • Theo_BearTheo_Bear Posts: 997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The dog poo haters have to understand that some dogs, through no fault of their own, do shit that simply cannot be picked up. Have you ever tried picking up brown sludge at the same time as trying to keep your dog under control on the lead and keeping them away from other people and out of the road so they don't get run over by all the inconsiderate assholes who don't slow down when they're driving past animals?

You're more than likely to end up being pulled over face first in to the stuff.
  • xdowxdow Posts: 2,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My dog once pooped right next to some horrible old poop that was already on the path and it was a busy area. I picked up my dog's doo and I was so worried in case anyone thought I'd just decided to leave those bits behind!! :D

I do this too, i think i started a thread years back asking opinion on this, if our dog poos near to another pile, should we pick up the abandoned bombs, or just our own?

i often do it, i pick up other dogs poo on the park nearby too, even if mine hasn;t had one, all it takes is for someone to inspect the place and they'll stop us taking our pooches on there :/

really grinds my gears how people leave it though, ladies with prams are especially bad for it. thinking it's "dirty" to pick it up.

well guess what, ladies, i've now got a niece and STILL pick up, as i often go walking with two dogs and the pram.
    and the tied bags? even have their own bag hook on the handle where i perch them on my (what is usually usually a) mile long trek to a bin! :D
    no excuse. it's far worse leaving it. :rolleyes:
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Theo_Bear wrote: »
    The dog poo haters have to understand that some dogs, through no fault of their own, do shit that simply cannot be picked up. Have you ever tried picking up brown sludge at the same time as trying to keep your dog under control on the lead and keeping them away from other people and out of the road so they don't get run over by all the inconsiderate assholes who don't slow down when they're driving past animals?

You can still get most of it into a bag in my experience and a wet wipe will take care of the bit left behind. IMO no excuse for not picking up.
  • wildholliewildhollie Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have 3 terriers that nearly ALWAYS poop when out walking no matter if they have been in the garden or not....all of my jackets are full of dog bags. I cannot understand what the big deal is cleaning up after your dog.

There are a couple of dog walkers round the corner from me who leave their dogs poop on the pavement, and not small ones either....i have my suspicions on who it is but haven't managed to catch them yet, but when I do, i will confront them !

Sick of the majority of dog owners being tarred with the same brush as the smaller minority that continue to get away with doing this ! :mad:
  • AbsolutelyAbsolutely Posts: 1,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Theo_Bear wrote: »

I have 3 dogs on a lead and I pick up every time, its easy enough if you want to. And if its soft then I use a tishue as well as the bag.
    I hate nothing more then people who do not pick up after their dogs, especially because I am a dog owner.
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,541
    Forum Member
    bazaar1 wrote: »
    Laziness. The one that gets me is the bags of poo. They bother to pick it up then stash the bag in random places, a tee, a fence, a bush. Odd.

I will never understand why people do that.
  • icic Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder how many people on this thread are like my neighbours who INSIST they clean up after their dogs but my cctv shows entirely different .
    Forum Member
    xdow wrote: »
    I do this too, i think i started a thread years back asking opinion on this, if our dog poos near to another pile, should we pick up the abandoned bombs, or just our own?

i often do it, i pick up other dogs poo on the park nearby too, even if mine hasn;t had one, all it takes is for someone to inspect the place and they'll stop us taking our pooches on there :/

really grinds my gears how people leave it though, ladies with prams are especially bad for it. thinking it's "dirty" to pick it up.

well guess what, ladies, i've now got a niece and STILL pick up, as i often go walking with two dogs and the pram.
    and the tied bags? even have their own bag hook on the handle where i perch them on my (what is usually usually a) mile long trek to a bin! :D
    no excuse. it's far worse leaving it. :rolleyes:

Full credit to you xdow - you've made me think twice about just picking up my own dogs poop if it's next to another pile!! I know I won't like it but it really won't hurt!!!!
  • WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spring in Canada is the season when old dog poop comes to light. All those people who walked their dogs in the snow and didn't feel they needed to pick up the poop because the snow would hide it...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    I always clear up after my two. Fortunately, they mainly go in our back garden’s doggy area, where I can dispose of it, and hose it down. People have different priorities, which mean nothing is going to free our streets from the constant barrage of dog poop, broken glass, litter and graffiti, etcetera.

Stray and latch-key dogs are always going to be compounding the problem,

Although I still get frustrated about the masses of dog poop, it’s a sign of the times.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    I agree. I love walking and riding my bike. Yesterday, riding along a nature track was nothing but dog mess. If you don't spot it on time, you either end of with it on your bike or on your trainers. What gets me is that people allow their dogs to mess in the middle of pathways. You would think they would take the dogs to the side in bushes. :rolleyes:
  • jammoon1jammoon1 Posts: 476
    Forum Member
    I clear up after my dogs - though I can't bring myself to clear up other dogs' poo, it's like someone else's toenail clippings - ugh!:eek:

When I was young people had as many dogs as they do now and there was no such thing as dog poo bags, but the pavements were clean - mainly because if a dog did go outside their home you made them do it in the road by the kerb and the stuff used to rot down quickly - which it doesn't seem to do now and lies around for weeks on end (don't know if this is a change in diet or what?).

I get fed up trying to dodge it on the pavement with two dogs in tow, and trying to get them not to tread in it too. I think it's just the general thing nowadays of people just not caring about others any more, and having an I'm all right Jack attitude.
  • GibsonGirlGibsonGirl Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I usually pick up after my dog. If it's where people/other dogs are likely to walk, then it gets picked up. The times I don't is when he has an upset stomach or when he does it somewhere that there's a good chance nobody will walk (such as in long coarse grass or in shrubs). Before you say that you can pick it up when it's soft. That is a lot easier if you have a small dog, but what if it's really soft/watery and has just come skooshing out of a big dog? Mine is a 27 kilo Lurcher and when he really needs to go, he'll do it in long grass near the house. The only way I could get rid of it is if I were to go out armed with a shovel, roll of kitchen paper, and some kind of cleansing spray. To me, it is much better left to break down naturally than to dig up piles of earth and grass, then to stick all of that into a plastic bag (that will take years before it even starts to decompose). However, if he were to have diarrhoea on a path, then I would try my best to clean it.

I also think that people should prioritise what gets picked up and what doesn't. When it gets put into a plastic bag, it will still get sent to a landfill site along with other types of litter, then (as I said before) it will take a long time to break down as opposed to the days or weeks if left on the ground. I am not advocating leaving all mess (far from it), but some would be better left to help reduce the amount of rubbish sent to landfill, and the number of bags that are used. My dog seldom does it on concrete/tarmac paths, but I am sick of all the people that never pick up when their dogs leave deposits on paths. Those are the types of owners that should be fined.

However, there are far bigger problems than dog waste, and those are human rubbish/body excretions. Broken glass and sharp rusty metal are inherently more dangerous than dog mess. The former does not decompose, can cause horrendous injuries (often resulting in infections), and are found on just about every path and in every bit of urban woodland. They certainly are around my neck of the woods. In fact, my dog split one of his stopper pads open because some vile person had smashed a bottle. My poor boy needed stitches put in under heavy sedation, and was in bandages for almost three weeks. If it were up to me, any person caught smashing glass, would have to pick up every shard with their bare hands. Not only are sharp objects a hazard to dogs, but they are to people and other animals. Unlike dogs (who NEED to go to the toilet), there is NO excusing this behaviour. Human spit can spread things like the common cold, influenza, meningitis, and herpes. People MUST be fined for spitting on the street and forbidden from licking their fingers before opening bags in shops. Don't get me started on chewing gum. Children should also be discouraged from playing on grass (not just for dog mess, but the other things I have just mentioned).

The biggest problem I have had with dog mess is at a friend's house. He is a friend of the family whose garden my dog can no longer play in. The friend has a dog of his own and he NEVER picks up after her when she does the toilet in the garden. He is in his early eighties, but he also has racing pigeons, and is perfectly capable of cleaning their loft. When we first knew him (more than twenty years ago) he never bothered cleaning up after the dog he had then. Whenever we visit him, the grass, and a good lot of the gravel are covered. Up until recently we somehow managed to dodge the mess when playing in the garden, but his ball landed in a pile of it, and he hasn't played in it since. It hasn't seemed to register with him that all of his dog's mess in the garden might be a problem. Not just for visitors, but for himself when he is out in the garden. Something needs to be said, but I don't want to offend him. There is no excuse for it because he can still keep his pigeon loft clean and he keeps himself fit. Any ideas as to how I can address the problem?