Galaxy Note 3

ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
Forum Member
Apparently, this came out today, but the launch has been so low key, you wouldn't even know it was out.

Has anyone picked this up? I'm looking for an upgrade from a Galaxy S3.

I've always found the note interesting with it's much larger screen and great battery life. Does anyone think it is worth upgrading from an S3? From what I've seen, it looks incredibly similar to the S3 and S4. I know it packs better hardware, but to be honest, the S3 has never been anything other than 100% smooth, no matter what I've ran on it.
Seems like it could be a case of overkill, but the bigger screen, better battery life and 4G still make it tempting. What are your views?

Comments

• alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Think overall it all comes down to if you want/need the larger screen. If you don't want the larger screen you may as well stick with the S3/S4
  • sammyvinesammyvine Posts: 3,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't it too big
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    alan1302 wrote: »
    Think overall it all comes down to if you want/need the larger screen. If you don't want the larger screen you may as well stick with the S3/S4

The larger screen and 4G would be my main reasons for getting it. I'm on the internet a lot on my phone and a bigger keyboard would be handy. I'm with three at the moment. They offer a free upgrade to 4G when it is available on their network later this year and give you unlimited data on it too, which is also a must for me. I have unlimited 3G on mine at the moment, but my Euro S3 does not support 4G.

I have to say, I'm surprised the launch has been so quiet. I mean, I know it's going to be lower key than a new iphone launch, but I've hardly heard a thing about it, considering it's one of the most powerful phones on the market (the most powerful?) I know it's large size puts some off, but personally, I am fine as long as it fits in my pocket and a larger screen is so much nicer to type on and watch videos on. At £34.99 a month on three with free 4G upgrade and unlimited data, it is a great deal if you ask me.
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    sammyvine wrote: »
    Isn't it too big

Seriously you must have asked that a dozen times already in various threads, who can possibly answer that for you :confused:

I tell you what no I have the Note 2 and is perfect so this will be too as it is smaller overall so now your all sorted.
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    swordman wrote: »
    Seriously you must have asked that a dozen times already in various threads, who can possibly answer that for you :confused:

I tell you what no I have the Note 2 and is perfect so this will be too as it is smaller overall so now your all sorted.

Thanks, I didn't realise it was smaller overall than the Note 2, but with a larger screen. Yes, I think the only person that can answer if it is too big, is the person buying it

I remember my friends that have iphones saying the S3 was too big for them when I got that but now I am thinking it is too small :p

I can just about wedge even some tablets into my pockets so I'm pretty sure the note will be fine. It's actually not massively bigger overall than the S3, but the screen is noticably bigger. I think they've just made better use of the available space.

I'm also interested in the better battery life, since mine often runs out on a day of heavy use and I've heard the Note 3 lasts 10 hours of constant video time, so that's good, and apparently the screen is far less reflective, so it is better to use in direct sunlight.
    Forum Member
    I agree I could never go back to a smaller screen phone and in fact it is only IMO people's preconceived ideas about phone size that stop people getting what are far more practical devices.

Those people who say it is too big as a phone quite often would wow if I introduced it to them as a portable media player or games machine which is what I find odd.

The actual difference in real size of the device's is often little more than an inch or so which is nothing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just been on the Three website , and £34 a month is a cracking deal for this beauty :cool:
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    sammyvine wrote: »
    Isn't it too big

Too big for what?
  • John_PatrickJohn_Patrick Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Consider the size of the phone when you have a case on it..... If it's more than a skin then it makes it a bloody fair size.... I had a note 2... Great phone but once I had a case on, was sometimes quite impractical.
    Forum Member
    Been having a play with the note 3 tonight and without don't the best mobile phone out there everything is superb the screen is simply magnificent, performance is stunning even when multitasking, even the look and design which I was a little unsure about is excellent.

Without doubt the phone I would choose right now without price being a factor.
  • jazzyjakejazzyjake Posts: 1,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    Too big for what?

i think its a tablet mini

women will struggle with the note 3 because its just too big to carry around or use to make calls
    Forum Member
    You sexist pig you :D
  • jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wouldn't touch this piece of crap with a barge pole

Samsung hardware is so overrated it's untrue. So many people I've known with Samsung phones that have just failed.

Region locked as well which for me is a total disaster

details here
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jazzyjake wrote: »
    i think its a tablet mini

women will struggle with the note 3 because its just too big to carry around or use to make calls

That's why they have a pink faux leather one, so they look like they are carrying round a large purse. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    Region locking is a real bastard.

I went with an S4 because I couldn't be bothered to wait a few weeks, and I was having a bit of "What if..?" until I read that.
    Forum Member
    jonner101 wrote: »
    Wouldn't touch this piece of crap with a barge pole

Samsung hardware is so overrated it's untrue. So many people I've known with Samsung phones that have just failed.

Region locked as well which for me is a total disaster

details here

Doesn't sound like you would be able to operate such an advanced piece of technology like this anyway
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    McTeagle wrote: »

Still a pretty lame for the customer though as it means you have to buy the phone in your home country. Presumably so they can charge rip off prices in markets where they can get away with it.

I'll be getting the nexus 5 anyway when it comes out in the next couple of months or so which will certainly be unlocked and most likely easy to root.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Handtec says if you buy in the UK/EU it will only work in roaming and you cannot use a local USA sim for example.

This really needs to be clarified by Samsung.
    Forum Member
    Statement from samsung not that complicated or any issue I can see.

“In order to provide customers with the optimal mobile experience in each region including customer care services, Samsung has incorporated the ‘regional SIM lock’ feature into Galaxy Note 3 devices. The product is only compatible with a SIM-card issued from a mobile operator within the region identified on the sticker of the product package. When the device is activated with a SIM card issued from the other region, the device may be automatically locked until it is released at the dedicated service centre.

Once a device is activated normally, the regional SIM lock is automatically released. Users can enjoy the roaming service as usual and can use other region’s SIM card when travelling. The regional SIM lock has been applied to the Galaxy Note II and Galaxy S4 devices through a software update in selective markets. The regional SIM lock does NOT affect the device’s features and performance. Users can continue to enjoy all the advanced features of our products.”
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Interesting quote.

Cannot really see how having a region lock "provides customers with the optimal mobile experience" and then state that "the regional SIM lock does not affect the devices features or performance"

Why have they added it:confused:
    Forum Member
    I would imagine given how it works to avoid customers being sold grey imports.

If you buy the phone where you live it has no issue for you at all.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    Bullcrap!

This is of no benefit to anyone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Its still doesn't seem to be clarified.

From xda
    After reading the tests from ukmobilereviews, I went to a local phone4u shop, showing it to the sales .
    He was kind enough to open a brand new jet black note 3 , put his vodaphone sim card in it and make a phone called with it.
    Afterward put my Hong Kong sim card which have roaming services in the note 3, the phone is still locked, asking for unlock code.
    Very frustrated

And the sticker on the box implies that non EU sims will not work
    Forum Member
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    Bullcrap!

This is of no benefit to anyone.

Why exactly? can't see that it would bother me in any way at all