JVC Televisions from Comet

Just a heads up. If anyone purchases a TV branded JVC from Comet online or stores, every aspect of after sales service is supported by Comet NOT JVC UK.

Support means, instruction manuals, spares, warranty queries, repairs EVERYTHING.

Although Comet staff are bloody clueless as ever and just fob you off to JVC Customer services. They have no information because of the agreement between JVC Japan and Comet, but the Comet way is to sell you stuff then offer bugger all service afterwards.

No wonder they were sold for £2!!!!!!!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    I have always found their customer service to be fine. Had a tv come down with a serious problem, it was exchanged for a newer model as they no longer did that one. Had a PC develop a problem a quick chat with their instore customer services and the PC duly returned to the manufacterer, it had a new C drive fitted. So no problems here.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe this is true of many consumer electrical products. The retailer agrees to provide all the after-sales service so that reduces the manufacturer's costs, and that means the retailer pays less for the product.
  • ntscuserntscuser Posts: 8,219
    Forum Member
    Your contract is with the retailer not with the manufacturer and any complaints should be addressed by them in the first instance.
  • iangradiangrad Posts: 813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why buy re branded ( or third party manufactures ) when mainstream Samsung , Panasonic ETC are so cheap to buy new . The snide stuff may have been worthwhile years ago , but now --not a chance !
  • Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    iangrad wrote: »
    Why buy re branded ( or third party manufactures ) when mainstream Samsung , Panasonic ETC are so cheap to buy new . The snide stuff may have been worthwhile years ago , but now --not a chance !

Very true, I was having a look at some 32" lcd's today, just getting a feel to what's out there as we are after two for the house. Funnily enough I saw a 32" JVC LCD, it was £229, just above it was a Panasonic priced at £279, just £50 more, I know which I'd choose. In addition to that, if I bought the two Panny's, a blu ray and one TV stand they would give me 10% off. Just ashame all their TV's looked terrible because of their rubbish feed, looked like one RF feed split 30 times, I'll see if I can get a decent demo of the Panny before I part with my cash.
  • pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    You'd be hard pressed to find a jvc tv in america now....just not in the running anymore.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,330
    Forum Member
    pocatello wrote: »
    You'd be hard pressed to find a jvc tv in america now....just not in the running anymore.

They have pulled out of the UK as well, which is why the JVC TV's at Comet are nothing to do with JVC UK.

Presumably Comet have bought the TV rights for the UK?.
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ahh... yet another brand name destined to be found only on budget Vestel TV's from now on.

I predict Vestel will be the only makers of TV's in the next 15 years!!!! :D arghhhh
    Forum Member
    Ahh... yet another brand name destined to be found only on budget Vestel TV's from now on.

JVC have been mostly Vestel sets for years, they have only rarely made their own TV's in the UK - probably the best sets they ever sold were Thorn ones, the TX100 series.
  • VegetaVegeta Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My jvc tv from 1991/92 is still working great
    Forum Member
    Vegeta wrote: »
    My jvc tv from 1991/92 is still working great

And who made it? :D
  • ProDaveProDave Posts: 11,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Contrary to what others say, I quite like Vestel.

My last CRT set was a 28" CRT with a vestel chassis, and my present set is a JVC 32" LCD again with a Vestel chassis.

The good thing about Vestel, is the service information for most of them is available for free on the internet.

anyway, what's this thread all about. It seems to be a lot of talk with no specific subject.
  • Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And who made it? :D
    Well it wouldn't have been Vestel. I had a JVC CRT TV from 2004 which I recently gave to someone and that was made in the UK. It was a very good set and from what I read JVC did not start dealing with Vestel until around 2007.
    Forum Member
    Well it wouldn't have been Vestel. I had a JVC CRT TV from 2004 which I recently gave to someone and that was made in the UK. It was a very good set and from what I read JVC did not start dealing with Vestel until around 2007.

They bought sets from various other manufacturers, including Thorn as I mentioned above - Vestel didn't exist back in the Thorn days :D

JVC have never had a decent name for their TV's, VCR's were their big thing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They bought sets from various other manufacturers, including Thorn as I mentioned above - Vestel didn't exist back in the Thorn days :D

JVC have never had a decent name for their TV's, VCR's were their big thing.
    And as usual you are talking crap. JVC TV's were very well respected. Some were even used in the broadcasting industry. Presently JVC seem to be concentrating on their car audio products.
  • AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member
    They have pulled out of the UK as well, which is why the JVC TV's at Comet are nothing to do with JVC UK.

Presumably Comet have bought the TV rights for the UK?.

I was under the impression that JVC didn't build their own sets, ever?
    Forum Member
    And as usual you are talking crap. JVC TV's were very well respected. Some were even used in the broadcasting industry. Presently JVC seem to be concentrating on their car audio products.

A monitor and a TV set are *very* different things. *VERY* different.

Don't forget, their monitors are made by their broadcast equipment department. It is the decision of their consumer electronics department if they make and where they source JVC-branded TV sets, so their monitor division has very little to do with their TV division.

JVC were very well respected for their VCRs in the 1980s. Along with their monitors, especially those 1970s/80s tiddly little colour ones, I can't name them for much else.

For consumers, they're pretty much another Japanese "boring but once reliable" budget brand, like Hitachi, Sanyo, Toshiba etc. Not in the same league as, say, Panasonic and Sony.
    Forum Member
    And as usual you are talking crap. JVC TV's were very well respected. Some were even used in the broadcasting industry.

JVC TV's weren't - broadcast quality monitors were - which aren't in any way connected to TV's.

The only crap spoken here is from you, JVC have never been well respected for their TV's, not that they ever made very many.
    Forum Member
    AidanLunn wrote: »
    I was under the impression that JVC didn't build their own sets, ever?

They have made a few over the years, they weren't well regarded or well designed and built.

But JVC have never really made any claims to be a major UK TV manufacturer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JVC TV's weren't - broadcast quality monitors were - which aren't in any way connected to TV's.

The only crap spoken here is from you, JVC have never been well respected for their TV's, not that they ever made very many.
    No it is from you as usual. Most JVC TV's until recent years were good. Yes other people may have often made them for them or they contained parts not manufactured by JVC but so what they were still good. Look up any review for the Interiart sets that were built in the UK and you will see how well regarded they were.
    Forum Member
    No it is from you as usual. Most JVC TV's until recent years were good. Yes other people may have often made them for them or they contained parts not manufactured by JVC but so what they were still good. Look up any review for the Interiart sets that were built in the UK and you will see how well regarded they were.

I'm a TV collector. Every time I look for 1970s sets, I am surrounded by Thorns, Deccas, Pyes, Philips', Mitsubishis, Hitachis, Sonys, Panasonics, Sanyos etc.

On eBay I have found just one pre-1990 JVC. In about 5 years of collecting, this is the first time I've seen one. I have no idea if it really is a JVC. (It's a 7170GB 14" colour portable).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220984274086?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_500wt_1202

1980s VCRs on the other hand . . .
  • in_focusin_focus Posts: 307
    Forum Member
    Another thumbs up from me for JVC's Scottish factory sets. The AV-32T5 was a very reliable well built chassis only let down by it's flimsy stand and patchy quality Samsung CRT.

The monster HV-36P38 was another well made excellent performer complete with separate Line and EHT stages.

The JVC badged sets designed and maufactured by Onwa in their factory near Jarrow were truly appalling.

I did hear a story from someone who worked at Onwa but cannot verify it that end of the assembly line any set with less than 2 production defects got a JVC badge on it, 2-4 defects Bush, 5 or more Alba. :rolleyes:
  • ntscuserntscuser Posts: 8,219
    Forum Member
    Weren't JVC the first to put S-video sockets on their TV sets in an effort to popularise S-VHS recorders?
    Forum Member
    No it is from you as usual. Most JVC TV's until recent years were good. Yes other people may have often made them for them or they contained parts not manufactured by JVC but so what they were still good.

So in other words you know nothing about it? :p

And seem to magically believe that sticking a JVC label on a crap make TV makes it a wonderful set :D

I'm in the trade, and I absolutely know what the reputation of JVC TV's in the trade is (poor!) - and no one was disappointed (or surprised) when JVC stopped selling TV's.
  • cbram1970cbram1970 Posts: 404
    Forum Member
    So in other words you know nothing about it? :p

And seem to magically believe that sticking a JVC label on a crap make TV makes it a wonderful set :D

I'm in the trade, and I absolutely know what the reputation of JVC TV's in the trade is (poor!) - and no one was disappointed (or surprised) when JVC stopped selling TV's.

I am surprised mugs still buy them from Comet thinking they are buying something reliable LOL:rolleyes: