Which new phone?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
Forum Member
Hi. It's time to say goodbye to my faithful old BlackBerry. It's served me well, but the poor internet connectivity and limited range of apps has got to me at last, and I think I need to make the change now.

What do you experts recommend? Priorities are
  • email (I shall miss the BlackBerry's keyboard)
  • internet
  • wide range of apps
  • compact
  • light weight
  • good battery life
Camera, games and music are not important.

Many thanks for any advice

Dave

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are going to get a ton of suggestions as everyone has a favourite but for me the HTC One is unbeatable, by far the best battery life I have had on a smartphone, it's very slim and fast, I really can't fault it so far
  • Ultraman1966Ultraman1966 Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    You need to list a price range, whether you're buying outright or contract etc...
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    HTC One.

Other than that it would be close between iPhone 5 or Samsung S4.
  • Step666Step666 Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dhmellor wrote: »
    • compact
    • light weight
    How small and light are you thinking?
  • Zee_BukhariZee_Bukhari Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HTC One is a contender here as its thin and light, but another contender here is the Nokia Lumia 925 as its even lighter than the HTC One and the screen being 4.5 inch vs 4.7 on the One.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Why don't you go the obvious route and get the new Blackberry with the keyboard?
  • John_PatrickJohn_Patrick Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't some android apps be side loaded onto blackberry s now?
  • mrvgargmrvgarg Posts: 1,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lumia 925
  • 1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dhmellor wrote: »
    Hi. It's time to say goodbye to my faithful old BlackBerry. It's served me well, but the poor internet connectivity and limited range of apps has got to me at last, and I think I need to make the change now.

What do you experts recommend? Priorities are
    • email (I shall miss the BlackBerry's keyboard)
    • internet
    • wide range of apps
    • compact
    • light weight
    • good battery life
    Camera, games and music are not important.

Many thanks for any advice

Dave

What about cost?
    Contract?
    No contract?
    Used only in the uk?
    Keep present phone number or not?

Best let us know those before you post goes mad :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HTC One is a contender here as its thin and light, but another contender here is the Nokia Lumia 925 as its even lighter than the HTC One and the screen being 4.5 inch vs 4.7 on the One.
    Surely also the S4 then, given it's lighter than both of them and smaller overall?
  • pepstarpepstar Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You sound like a person who wants an easy phone to use which will do everything you want (by the mere fact you're asking :D )... depending on the tariff get the iPhone 4S or 5 (or wait for the 5s)...

... ill be quoted now by people telling you their phone is easier to use, but after using all platforms... the most simple platform and user friendly for non geeks is still iOS.
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Step666 wrote: »
    Surely also the S4 then, given it's lighter than both of them and smaller overall?

At this point you are better of waiting and just getting the S4 LTE-A specially if it is getting Snapdragon 800.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    enapace wrote: »
    At this point you are better of waiting and just getting the S4 LTE-A specially if it is getting Snapdragon 800.
    It's not going to be sold over here.
    By the time LTE-A is available in the UK, the S5 or at least the Note3 will be out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

my friend has an S4 and the battery life is awful he says, its also loaded with so much bloatware, if you're ok with all that then go for it!
  • tosha43tosha43 Posts: 353
    Forum Member
    Why do people start threads but never put anymore input other than original post?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my friend has an S4 and the battery life is awful he says, its also loaded with so much bloatware, if you're ok with all that then go for it!
    It comfortably beats the 920 in all of GSMArena's battery tests and the 925 has the same capacity battery as the 920, so there's no reason to think the S4 won't hold an advantage over it as well.

As for the features, you can switch off what you don't want/need.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It comfortably beats the 920 in all of GSMArena's battery tests and the 925 has the same capacity battery as the 920, so there's no reason to think the S4 won't hold an advantage over it as well.

As for the features, you can switch off what you don't want/need.

According to GSMArena http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=5125&idPhone2=5451

The Lumia 925 beats the S4 in both standby time and talk time. They must have made some changes somewhere since it does have the same 2000 mAh battery as the 920.
  • Chairman___MeowChairman___Meow Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    iPhone 5. The only phone that matters.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    tosha43 wrote: »
    Why do people start threads but never put anymore input other than original post?

Blimey, I only posted it at 4.00 yesterday afternoon - give me a chance! :D

Anyway, many thanks everyone for all the responses - helpful, though as expected, there is the inevitable conflicting advice.

In answer to the queries about contract, cost, etc - I'm currently on a Vodafone SIM-only contract, and would like to keep it, which I guess means shelling out a tidy sum for a handset. Which is why I need to do plenty of research and get the decision right, obviously.

Alan1302 wrote: 'Why don't you go the obvious route and get the new Blackberry with the keyboard?'

It would be the obvious route, were it not for the chronic shortage of apps available for the BlackBerry.

But then John_Patrick wrote: 'Can't some android apps be side loaded onto blackberry s now?'

Can anyone answer John's question (and explain what side-loading is)?

Many thanks for all this help - really useful.
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Side loading apps means manually downloading them and then installing to your phone. I am unfamiliar with the princess on BB10 but it will certainly not be as straight forward as using an app store. All it is is a sticking plaster over the poor selection of apps on BB10 - if you want Android apps then get an Android phone. The best value phone out is still the Nexus 4 available for £239. If you are buying outright and don't want to break the bank then it is ideal.