Assassins creed or mass effect series

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
Forum Member
Hi all so I have next week off work and would really like to get stuck into a new game on my ps3 and am unsure what I should go with. I have never played either the mass effect or assassins creed games. Which series would you recommend and why.? If anyone could give me some pros and cons for each series of games and why I should play them. I have heard lots about how good they are but which ones should I spend my time playing? Thanks

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would say Mass Effect, loved every minute of it.

Though, what I will say, that as a PS3 player, if you wanted to play Mass effect you might want to wait till they release the trilogy box set so you can play the game from 1 through to 3. Mass Effect Trilogy

I will say Mass Effect 1 is more roleplayery than the second and third parts, but the characters and the story make the game what it is.
  • Steve35Steve35 Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two completely different games.
  • SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve35 wrote: »
    Two completely different games.

Seriously different!

OP - it really depends on your preferred game type.
    If you love shooters with rpg elements than Mass Effect is the option.
    However, if you love action/adventure/platform, then AC it is.

Personally I prefer AC for all the free roaming and running you can do.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are both great, but with a solid week off, I would go for Mass Effect. AC you can play anytime for an hour and stop, Mass Effect is more plot/atmospheric, so will benefit more from long sessions.
  • Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both great series.

ME would take up more time, you'd be looking at about 30 hours of saved gameplay time and it needs at least 3 playthroughs to get all the cheevos/trophies. (if you're a hunter)

AC is great looking and stylish. I just wish it was little (and I do mean little) bit more like Hitman with regards to the main kills.

Depending on your preferred game type you shouldn't be disappointed by either series.

Got AC3 this morning and I'm still working through AC:REV. Need more hours in the day!
  • sheep88sheep88 Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd say Assassins Creed but that's only because i've never played any of the Mass Effect games. The problem with Assassins creed is i tend to wander about doing stupid things (had some great fun with parachutes in brotherhood and revelations) rather than doing what i'm meant to be doing (with regards to the story/quests). So Doomy says you can stop after an hour but i can't because i get carried away with messing around. Started Assassins Creed 3 yesterday and already messing about can see the game taking a long time. Been thinking about playing the Mass Effect games too just not really sure if they're my thing.
  • The Special OneThe Special One Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If youre on PS3 I would wait for the Mass Effect Trilogy. The first game isnt available on PS3 at the moment and its really worthwhile playing for the story and you will be able to carry over your save file to the other 2 games.
  • BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    One further thing to consider with Mass Effect - there's probably a 50/50 chance that you'll be seriously p*ssed off with the ending to the trilogy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    Ok so I think I will start with the assassins creed games first and I can play the mass effect games in the future. To be fair that should see me through for quite a while as there are not loads of new games coming out this year that appeal to me so might as well play these games and save some money at the same time
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are a lot more AC games to get into if you do enjoy the first.

I came to AC a couple of years later, i got the 2nd as a christmas present, but hadn't played the frist. I played the first 15 mins and didn't get it at all, go bought the 1st, played that, loved it. Since then, i've played each one, and i am awaiting my amazon delivery as i type :).
  • barracuda91barracuda91 Posts: 3,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love both but they are totally different. I only recently started playing the AC series (currently playing Revelations for the first time) and I think it's great. I don't really understand it when people seem to group the series with CoD because Assassin's Creed does have a really interesting storyline and the whole concept is interesting as well.

Mass Effect is probably my all-time favourite series, although I do admit the ending to Mass Effect 3 did ruin it slightly for me. I think the first two games are fantastic though.

Overall, I enjoy playing both and they're definitely games I can play again. Definitely looking forward to playing ACIII when I get it for Christmas for the WiiU.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    If your looking for a one off game and you don't want your bank balance to take too much of a hit I'd go for one of the Assassin's creed titles. If your prepared to fork out more time and money I personally believe the Mass Effect series is well worth it.

The Assassin's creed games are great (I own them all) but each game isn't miles apart from the one before. Each Mass Effect is an entirely different game and has some brilliant bits of DLC which are integral to the story.

Depends on how your feeling, if you want an extended play session you won't get bored of then go for Mass Effect. If you want something you can pick up and play on and off then go for AC.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Original AC is often knocked but I like the travel on it
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    Okay so from reading everyone's answers on this thread and advice I got from some mates of mine I think I will pick up AC3 and play through that one, the general view from my friends is that the main story in AC3 is completely separate to the second one and I won't miss out too much. Is this correct?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Okay so from reading everyone's answers on this thread and advice I got from some mates of mine I think I will pick up AC3 and play through that one, the general view from my friends is that the main story in AC3 is completely separate to the second one and I won't miss out too much. Is this correct?

Yes and no

In terms of playing as Connor he is a new character so no you won't miss anything

In terms of playing as desmond, well this is the 5th game so you'll miss out of 4 games of back story