My thoughts on how to use Windows 8

marlmanmarlman Posts: 661
Forum Member
✭✭
I have been using Windows 8 since it come and at first was a bit dubious. But now I love it!

So I thought I would just post how I use it.

The Start screen is great if you only use it for Metro Apps first get rid of any tiles that take you to the Desktop. If you want to use desktop apps go to the desktop.

Get rid of the Microsoft apps for Music Video and Photos (By get rid of I mean put them out of sight Microsoft might one day update them to do what we want them to do!)

For music I use Music Info, Video use VLC HD player and Photos I use Gallery HD they cost a few pound but well worth every penny.

Pin shortcuts to your favourite webpages to the start screen.

So when Windows 8 boots up (So much quicker than any other OS) I normally check the news or finance apps or Facebook and Twitter, the mail app shows me if I have any emails I then get my music going in the background then over to the Desktop to do the real work.

The mail app shows notifications on the desktop if I receive any emails and if I need to check any open apps they are there on the side if needed.

I know it could be better and I'm sure it will but I will never go back to Windows 7 now!

Comments

• emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I quite like the default Xbox Music app, as it allows you to play music you don't own as well as stuff you do. :cool:
    Plus if you install Stardock's ModernMix you can use Modern apps on the desktop.
    Saves going elsewhere to select the next album.

Can't see a VLC Modern app, so not sure what you mean by "VLC HD", unless you just mean the VLC desktop program?

I don't like the Mail app, as it doesn't work with my POP emails. I just use the Windows Live Mail desktop client.
  • marlmanmarlman Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry meant Vic media player!
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I thought this was particularly interesting: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/03/08/modernmix_saves_windows8/
  • NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    I just don't like the rigmaroll I have to go through to get into the desktop, if you can call it that, its a bit footery, I want to use my laptop for office and college work, not as a multimedia internet surfing device just yet..I'll need an external mouse asap, without a touchscreen, its just a big faff using the tracking pad.

I miss the start menu, and i can't quite access the system details as readily as I used to :)

I have just come from xp, so it might be too much of a leap for me to start out with hehe
  • 1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NoseyLouie wrote: »
    I miss the start menu, and i can't quite access the system details as readily as I used to :)

Oh no, hear we go again, gets the popcorn ready :D
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    NoseyLouie wrote: »
    I just don't like the rigmaroll I have to go through to get into the desktop

Pressing one tile :confused: I can see the rigmarole there! LOL

Just install classic shell and you can boot straight o the desktop.
  • angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do like it, but have one gripe....I like to create folders for my Hotmail (or whatever it is called now!) emails, however Windows 8 does not support the creation of new folders from the Mail app. Thankfully have another lappy and PC with Windows 7 so will create my new folders that way.

Just as an aside, since using Windows 8, when I reply on here, it underlines all my spelling mistakes...but I don't know how to correct them or add words to a dictionary. Anybody able to give me an idiotproof way of doing this. Many thanks.

I do like using the corners of the screen to access different things and have arranged my "desk top" to have the tiles where I want them. Haven't figured out how to keep the world clock on yet either, but I'll get there!
  • angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have just found out that in W8, there is an auto highlight and auto correct for spelling but not a dictionary to add words. Oh well. Apart from that and not been able to create new folders in Hotmail, I do like W8!!
  • emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought this was particularly interesting: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/03/08/modernmix_saves_windows8/

Yeah, well that just points up the fact it was a political decision not to allow you to use 'Modern' apps on the desktop, because ModernMix is a very small utility. Would have been very easy for Microsoft to have allowed that option.

Since I've installed it I've certainly used the Xbox Music app more than before.

It's just common sense for a computer with a large widescreen monitor.
  • rossi_drrossi_dr Posts: 1,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dont use it
    set a lappy up the other day for a family member first time I've seen W8
    didnt/dont like it totally lost got to gripes with it a little bit in the end

would have liked a default option to use a WIN7/XP desktop layout to learn W8

after seeing W8 had a feeling why not try Linux / Jolicloud ?

Thanks
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    My first experience of Win 8 was a few months ago when the neighbors could not connect their laptop to the internet.
    I found it very confusing, I'm on XP but have used Vista and 7 quite a bit. Win 8 was so different that I was glad to find the desktop, sort their problem (easy) and get out of there as quickly as possible.

Three months later (yesterday) the laptop has a virus and goes to some some scam site if opening IE, freezes and you can only close through task manager.
    It was being used by a 10 year old so it had at least 20 tool bars that were taking up a couple of inches from the top of the screen.

Managed to get rid of all the malware but only after installing Classic Shell (with neighbors permission) because trying to navigate Win 8 without it would have taken (me) so much longer.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like the new look of Windows 8, its much fresher and crisper than the now dated looking W7.
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LION8TIGER wrote: »
    My first experience of Win 8 was a few months ago when the neighbors could not connect their laptop to the internet.
    I found it very confusing, I'm on XP but have used Vista and 7 quite a bit. Win 8 was so different that I was glad to find the desktop, sort their problem (easy) and get out of there as quickly as possible.

Three months later (yesterday) the laptop has a virus and goes to some some scam site if opening IE, freezes and you can only close through task manager.
    It was being used by a 10 year old so it had at least 20 tool bars that were taking up a couple of inches from the top of the screen.

Managed to get rid of all the malware but only after installing Classic Shell (with neighbors permission) because trying to navigate Win 8 without it would have taken (me) so much longer.

The interesting counter-point to that is that if the neighbours and their son had mainly stuck to the metro apps (e.g. metro version of internet explorer) then they would have been much less likely to have had the malware installed on the PC.

Metro IE has a much smaller attack surface, apps in the app store are vetted and curated unlike installing things from websites, and all apps are sandboxed.
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,264
    Forum Member
    It would be nice if the W8 haters stayed away and left at least one thread for those who can actually use it to discuss it, without it becoming a silly battle.
    I understand that there are those who don't like it so why would you come onto a W8 thread and go on AGAIN how much you don't like it?
    I never open a Mac thread, because I don't use or own one. It's as pointless as saying I don't use W8 on a W8 thread.....
  • marlmanmarlman Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    call100 wrote: »
    It would be nice if the W8 haters stayed away and left at least one thread for those who can actually use it to discuss it, without it becoming a silly battle.
    I understand that there are those who don't like it so why would you come onto a W8 thread and go on AGAIN how much you don't like it?
    I never open a Mac thread, because I don't use or own one. It's as pointless as saying I don't use W8 on a W8 thread.....

I agree I started this thread to learn from others the best way to use Windows 8 not to hear from people running it down!
    Forum Member
    TheBigM wrote: »
    The interesting counter-point to that is that if the neighbours and their son had mainly stuck to the metro apps (e.g. metro version of internet explorer) then they would have been much less likely to have had the malware installed on the PC.

Metro IE has a much smaller attack surface, apps in the app store are vetted and curated unlike installing things from websites, and all apps are sandboxed.

The only trouble with that is it restricts what software the user can use and it takes away from the freedom of a desktop operating system. It turns your computer into a big phone. I don't think there were any other browsers available on the Windows Store so if they only stuck to Metro apps they're stuck with IE. It would be like using a Mac with only the preinstalled Apple software and programs (I refuse to use the word apps when talking about desktop software) from the Mac App Store.
  • len112len112 Posts: 4,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Windows 8 ihas started switching off Windows Defender now ,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only trouble with that is it restricts what software the user can use and it takes away from the freedom of a desktop operating system. It turns your computer into a big phone. I don't think there were any other browsers available on the Windows Store so if they only stuck to Metro apps they're stuck with IE. It would be like using a Mac with only the preinstalled Apple software and programs (I refuse to use the word apps when talking about desktop software) from the Mac App Store.

That doesn't seem to be a problem for people when it comes to iPads, indeed they value the tradeoff of power, complexity and freedom for simplicity and appliance-like reliability.
    Forum Member
    That doesn't seem to be a problem for people when it comes to iPads, indeed they value the tradeoff of power, complexity and freedom for simplicity and appliance-like reliability.

Maybe it depends what they're using the computer for. If all you do is browse the internet and play a game or two then a closed system is probably fine. If you use it for heavier tasks or are more tech savvy then an open system is better.
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    len112 wrote: »
    Windows 8 ihas started switching off Windows Defender now ,
    I've seen several people report this problem on other forums today (10-Mar-13).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe it depends what they're using the computer for. If all you do is browse the internet and play a game or two then a closed system is probably fine. If you use it for heavier tasks or are more tech savvy then an open system is better.

Well the choice is there in Windows 8, in one machine. You can be the smart one using your applications in desktop mode and tell the kids downloading browser toolbars and malware to stick to metro land.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,452
    Forum Member
    call100 wrote: »

Except that most of the people criticizing W8 are W8 users who criticize only one aspect of it, the fact that it boots up into Metro and has no Start button on the desktop. Are we banned, too?.
    marlman wrote: »
    I agree I started this thread to learn from others the best way to use Windows 8 not to hear from people running it down!

I love W8 and wouldn't go back. The best way to use it on a mouse-driven desktop in my opinion is to install a new front-end like Classic Shell or Start8 so you only ever see the Metro apps or their tiles if you actually want to use one (as with every other program). By using it that way, it's a really good O/S with lots of improvements and for the £25 cost anyone could have had it for, it's a bargain. There are a few issues, but I won't go into any of them now otherwise I may be accused of running it down.

Those are my initial thoughts on how to use W8.
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forum Member
    Well the choice is there in Windows 8, in one machine. You can be the smart one using your applications in desktop mode and tell the kids downloading browser toolbars and malware to stick to metro land.

I never thought of that. Mind you the Metro interface is designed for kids anyway so that shouldn't be too hard :p
  • Graham_KeetonGraham_Keeton Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    I dont like windows 8 or 7 as i find them too complicated to use so I use windows vista instead on my laptop
    It seems fine for me and thats why I use it
    One question though why do computer companies such as microsoft have to keep changing things

graham k:)