What could be Valves last announcement?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33
Forum Member
I really hope it is half life 3.

Comments

• Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    I just posted this in the other thread..

If you look at the symbols..
    O is the OS
    [ ] around the O is the steam box
    so what is O + O?
  • cat666cat666 Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's some sort of controller announcement I think. I'd imagine a USB one which will work on both Windows/Linux/MAC (so PC/MAC and Steam OS) and be totally programmable for games without native support. They'll want to do away with the majority of PC users using Xbox controllers with Xpadder.
    Forum Member
    It could be a controller, but then that doesn't make sense if you go by the symbols. If [] is the box then why is the controller inside the box. Surely that would be [O] + O.

To me [O+O] suggests additional software which goes on the steamBox. E.g Half Life 3! Make it steam/steamOS exclsuive and they have their killer app to launch with. Wishful thinking perhaps....
  • cat666cat666 Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    O = analogue sticks
    + = d pad

[O+O] is an asci of a controller.
  • ritchritch Posts: 2,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blueplain wrote: »
    I really hope it is half life 3.

do they even remember this game?
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vast_Girth wrote: »

Have another look at that URL... That is not the Steam website, it's probably a fishing site...
    Forum Member
    Matt D wrote: »
    Have another look at that URL... That is not the Steam website, it's probably a fishing site...

Ha, oh yes, well spotted!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Matt D wrote: »

Considering i got a big red warning from McAffee from clicking that link i'd say that you're right!:p

Seriously hoping for some sort of Half Life 3 announcement though, or if not that then a next gen Left 4 Dead 3 or Portal 3 announcement.
  • AsmoAsmo Posts: 15,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could be their 'sharing' scheme. If the circle symbol represents software, the circle in the brackets is the software (SteamOS) running in their hardware, maybe the circle + circle is about sharing software...
    I know that would be pretty unexciting, but so far I've only been intrigued rather than excited!
    Forum Member
    I think sharing is more likely than controller, although they have already announced family sharing so i dunno what else they could add?

Both are pretty dull though....
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Valve: "Here's SteamOS. More news soon"
    Valve: "Here's Steam Machines. More news soon".

If tomorrow, they say, "Here's controllers. More news soon". WITHOUT ANY EVIDENCE, it will be the 3 lamest announcements of all time.

But, that's not going to happen, because Half-Life 3 is incoming ;)
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vast_Girth wrote: »
    Ha, oh yes, well spotted!
    CJClarke wrote: »
    Considering i got a big red warning from McAffee from clicking that link i'd say that you're right!:p

Seriously hoping for some sort of Half Life 3 announcement though, or if not that then a next gen Left 4 Dead 3 or Portal 3 announcement.

I found the link myself yesterday by Googling about Half-Life 3... Looked convincing at first glance, until I took a closer look at the URL.

My Avast webshield didn't say anything, but I checked it via McAfee Site Advisor ("phishing") and URLVoid ("Blacklisted - 2/27, MyWOT and SURBL").
    Forum Member
    Its going to be controllers isn't it :(

I have gone through hope and elation to pre-emptive disappointment and despair...
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it's a gamepad, valve cannot win.

The 2 announcements so far have been 'we have this planned, more news soon'. That is it. Weak details, no specs, no images, nothing.

So, if the 3rd announcement is a gamepad. If they have an image of the gamepad, they are damned. Revealing the design of the gamepad before the console is going to be embarrassing, and lame.

They don't show what the gamepad looks like, they are damned. It would be a 3rd announcement out of 3 where they will be saying 'trust our word, we will give you more news soon'. It will be a very damp squib and an anticlimax.

And honestly, it will make the whole thing completely pointless. Why have these announcements and then have this such dearth in information? We already knew about these 3 announcements beforehand (SteamOS was alittle out of leftfield, but we knew valve was working with linux on something), nothing that has been announced is new. You can even see the prototype design of the gamepad that was submitted for patent protection in 2011 I think it was. If those patents are shown tomorrow, I think alot of people will be pissed.

There are only 2 things that can save these announcements from the butt of internet jokes for years to come, 1)is the announcement of a new IP, or 2)Half-Life 3.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Valve can't count to 3 - so that rules that out. ;)