PC Tuner Cards

Hi

I would like recommendations for TV tuner cards so I can record tv programs on a PC.

I have Freesat and Freeview available.

Thanks

Comments

• StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TBS and BlackGold make a good range of cards.

You will need DVB-T2 for Freeview HD, and/or DVB-S2 for freesat HD. You can get combinations of both, dual tuners etc.

You will also need some software. Media Center in Windows 7 Home Premium and above is an easy 'out of the box' solution.
  • mpmc17mpmc17 Posts: 2,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    TBS and BlackGold make a good range of cards.

You will need DVB-T2 for Freeview HD, and/or DVB-S2 for freesat HD. You can get combinations of both, dual tuners etc.

You will also need some software. Media Center in Windows 7 Home Premium and above is an easy 'out of the box' solution.

I would not recommend either of those brands products not because they're crap but because If like me you use Linux the drivers are very poor (more so the TBS drivers) It's not just the USB devices either.. see http://tvheadend.wordpress.com/.

I've used two TBS products, the QBOX which was later replaced by TBS with a TBS 5922. I had to send the QBOX to Bulgaria of all places for a replacement! (and It wasn't cheap).

TBS Support was great at first but after a while it disappeared.

I had so many issues with the Linux drivers and because they're closed source, I couldn't help debug the problem. TBS just stopped replying to my complaints/issues.

Now if you plan on just using Windows, you should have no issues :D
  • kathekaskathekas Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    What software do you recommend for use with the cards?

The pc is running Vista Home Premium

Thanks
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kathekas wrote: »

Thanks

If you can possibly afford it, upgrade to Windows 7 or 8. I personally like the built in Media Center which will record from either satellite or terrestrial.

Other than that, you can try XBMC or Media Portal.
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thanks

the recommendation would be to NOT use use Vista Home Premium !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks

If you do not want to replace your OS I can recommend sichbopvr It's still under development but is pretty much all there and is a good replacement for Windows Media Centre.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mpmc17 wrote: »
    If you do not want to replace your OS I can recommend sichbopvr It's still under development but is pretty much all there and is a good replacement for Windows Media Centre.

Where does the EPG data come from?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    Where does the EPG data come from?

OTA Freeview and Freesat (I actually asked the developer to include this and had to provide a mux dump :D. )
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    I am running a TBS6280 Dual DVB-T Tuner Also A TBS6982 DVB-S2 Dual Tuner
    For Freeview For Freesat

one on each Pc wins 7Pro Freeview on 32Bit Freesat on 64Bit Win7Pro
    both run thru win mce the freeview epg is great but the sat epg you will need too do some work with and also after you have done a full transponder scan you will then have to enter individual transponders and scan too get the extra chans Hd CBS Etc apart from that they work great