F1 Coverage - The Verdict: 2013 Season

Comments

• stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,060
    Forum Member
    Yeah but running/cycling (eg Tour de France) may go on for hours, but at the same time, most of it is probably dull until you get at least somewhere close-ish to the finish, so ad breaks in a marathon for example, or the Tour de France are less of an issue in my opinion.
  • R410R410 Posts: 2,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stevvy1986 wrote: »
    I think he said 2 hours as that's the time limit for non red flagged races (eg Monaco 08, which hit 2 hours a lap or 2 before the start of the 78th (and what would normally be the final) lap if memory serves, though apologies if I'm wrong).
    And I believe there is a 4 hour time limit for a race under red flag conditions now.
  • F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not unexpected. Sky are not likely to keep F1 in the HD package indefinitely despite what they say now.
    Over the coming seasons I expect BBC drop live F1 completely after which we'll see adverts in the live race and qualifying broadcasts. Nothing remotely supprising. All inevitable.

Please not this one again. They are not going to drop out. they may drop out when the contract is over in 2018. Fair enough but they are not going to drop out during the contract.

What would be the bloody point of going through the pain of negotiating this new deal only to drop out!? The new deal was so F1 could be on the BBC for longer.

You have a point though after 2018 but before. NO. wrong it wont happen. And I bet my entire savings on it that it wont happen.

Sorry to come across as an angry old man. :)

Ken
  • Captain StableCaptain Stable Posts: 2,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't it always belong to On Digital, I had the Nokia which was on its last legs by the time the administrators for ITV Digital sent me a bill for £30 to keep the box.
    I sent them a reply saying they could collect it whenever they like but they never got back to me.

My original contract with OnDigital, said the box was on loan for a year as long as I paid my full subscription every month.
    I did.
    So as far as I'm concerned, when ITVDigital came along and re-wrote that part of the contract, the box was already mine! (i'd been with OnDigital for at least 18 months at that point).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deleted
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,297
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4chords wrote: »
    Currently.

Don't forget, Mr Di Montezemolo made a suggestion last year that F1 races could be made shorter, with possibly more than one race per Grand Prix. He's not the only one thinking this. The suggestion of shorting the race schedule has been around for a few years.

A bit of pressure from the TV companies and voila! 45 minute races with more advert time during the course of the normal programming.

I do worry that in any post-Bernie F1, probably ruled by committee, a lot of Di Montezemolo's half-baked suggestions will suddenly start coming to pass.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [QUOTE=R410;64381311

http://recombu.com/digital/news/sky-combines-hd-and-3d-in-new-basic-tv-package_M11199.html

[/QUOTE]

Can anyone find me a link to the Sky press release rather than the above one? .

I ask because I was just 'chatting' with a Sky advisor who told me that I will need to get the sports pack to get F1 when the changes happen even though I currently have the HD pack.

I hope that the 'advisor' is wrong but I will contact Sky by email later to get more info...........and hopefully from someone who's in the UK ;)
  • stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,390
    Forum Member
    Saw this posted elsewhere talking about the Sky 3D test coverage:
    However they have been at Barcelona this week with a 3D camera figuring out where the best place to put them is & the guy i spoke to said that they now really wish they hadn’t announced it as been in 3D because the 3D shots they have been getting have been “Crap”.
    They have experienced all the issues with 3D that other broadcasters have & are now also feeling that 3D for F1 is a long way off.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just saw this article about the MotoGP TV rights discussions.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/sport/sportresults/MotoGP/2013/February/feb2013-dorna-in-talks-with-bbc/

It says Sky and ITV may be interested but they are in discussion with the BBC. I'm not confident the BBC will hold onto this at all. ITV4 looks a strong prospect. But I always thought that Dorna wanted exposure so I'm not sure about sky? They might buckle under a big offer like everyone else does.

I'd like it to stay were it is but my gut feeling is that the BBC has lost it. It gets a good audience on BBC Two. And remember before the BBC took it back it didn't have such a large following as it does now.

Ken
  • R410R410 Posts: 2,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can anyone find me a link to the Sky press release rather than the above one? .

I ask because I was just 'chatting' with a Sky advisor who told me that I will need to get the sports pack to get F1 when the changes happen even though I currently have the HD pack.

I hope that the 'advisor' is wrong but I will contact Sky by email later to get more info...........and hopefully from someone who's in the UK ;)
    http://corporate.sky.com/skyviews/sky_3d/introducing_a_new_tv_pack_to_help_even_more_customers_enjoy_tv_in_high_definition
    This article refers to the new Entertainment Extra+ package though, which gives you the Entertainment channels in HD at a cheaper price than the HD pack itself
    Not whether or not SSF1 will be available via the standard HD pack.

If you what you have been told is correct, I was blatantly lied to on Tuesday when I was speaking to salesman.

I originally spoke to him on Monday night, but he did not have much time because it was near the time for him to go.
    I did mention the availability to him and when he came back Tuesday he did say to me that he had checked that SSF1 was still available before coming back.

And given that Sky are still advertising an offer on the HD pack focussed on Sky Sports F1, it is very likely that what you were told is incorrect.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw this posted elsewhere talking about the Sky 3D test coverage:

That's very entertaining. I have been saying all along 3D is a load of old rubbish. I hate it.

I don't want to see some horrid optical illusion I just want a crisp normal picture so I can enjoy what I am watching.

Most of you on this thread seem to think it's the best thing since sliced bread so I better shut up!:D

Ultra HD is the way to go not 3D. 3D was just so Film companies could make more cash of you!! It's a scam in my opinion. And before you accuse me yes I have see the sports sky and the BBC have done in 3D. Hated it.

End of story.

Ken
  • BenFranklinBenFranklin Posts: 5,814
    Forum Member
    I'm with you on this Ken, no idea why so many tech savvy people go crazy about 3D, it's a very average way of watching TV.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lot's of talk about sky pricing of late. I thought I would share with you my thought's on thinking about getting sky.

I like watching sport and sky show lot's of it. Over the last few days I have seriously been looking into getting sky (even after some of my rant's:o). But it is to much money. Now, some of you on here are long term customers who I believe get a better deal. For new customers or people looking into it like me it's as if it's become to much of a jump. Especially for sport.

I think sky is now seriously to expensive for new people. We live in times of rising living costs and I would be amazed if they mange to keep charging what they do. I'm sorry but I have totally ruled it out now and I would like to know people's opinions on the price of sky for existing and new customers.

I should have got it years ago when it was cheaper, now the cliff is just to high to climb in my opinion. Would be nice hear what others think? Am I generally being stingy as I joke about all the time or do I have a point?

Probably not! :D

Ken
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm with you on this Ken, no idea why so many tech savvy people go crazy about 3D, it's a very average way of watching TV.

That's a good way of putting it. When I saw Planet Earth (the first HD program broadcast by the BBC) I was blown away. When I saw some stuff from sky 3D I just thought "Why?".

It was an David Attenborough wildlife thing for sky. Great doc but the 3D detracted from the excellent program.

Ken
  • BenFranklinBenFranklin Posts: 5,814
    Forum Member
    Stuff like 4K and 8K is the future isn't it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Most certainly. HD will be standard and then 4K and 8K will be the premium product.

Ken
  • JackFoleyJackFoley Posts: 812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    F1Ken wrote: »
    Just saw this article about the MotoGP TV rights discussions.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/sport/sportresults/MotoGP/2013/February/feb2013-dorna-in-talks-with-bbc/

It says Sky and ITV may be interested but they are in discussion with the BBC. I'm not confident the BBC will hold onto this at all. ITV4 looks a strong prospect. But I always thought that Dorna wanted exposure so I'm not sure about sky? They might buckle under a big offer like everyone else does.

I'd like it to stay were it is but my gut feeling is that the BBC has lost it. It gets a good audience on BBC Two. And remember before the BBC took it back it didn't have such a large following as it does now.

Ken

Or you can do like they did in Italy. Sky got the rights, 9 MotoGP races will be live FTA, the rest delayed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Lot's of talk about sky pricing of late. I thought I would share with you my thought's on thinking about getting sky.

I like watching sport and sky show lot's of it. Over the last few days I have seriously been looking into getting sky (even after some of my rant's:o). But it is to much money. Now, some of you on here are long term customers who I believe get a better deal. For new customers or people looking into it like me it's as if it's become to much of a jump. Especially for sport.

I think sky is now seriously to expensive for new people. We live in times of rising living costs and I would be amazed if they mange to keep charging what they do. I'm sorry but I have totally ruled it out now and I would like to know people's opinions on the price of sky for existing and new customers.

I should have got it years ago when it was cheaper, now the cliff is just to high to climb in my opinion. Would be nice hear what others think? Am I generally being stingy as I joke about all the time or do I have a point?

Ken

There are some great new customer deals, like half price sky for 6 months and lately half price for 12 months, making it very good. All being discussed on on digital spy.
    Yes, long term sky loyalty works well and has done for me over the years. But then for me the cost isn't really a problem, but having the sport for me is a must and its worth every penny.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    On 3D i have read recently that soon the BBC two year test of 3D comes to an end and they are moving on to the next 4k/8k type broadcast technologies
    As for sky, I'm sure they are just doing a bit for F1 to justify their investment of 3d cameras and staff etc. to their shareholders. It seems to have ended everywhere else.
    Ive watched a bit of Sport in 3d in pubs, clubs and at a few houses and thought 'oh is that it'
    Having seen 3d come and go a number of times over my 50 years on earth, I have to laugh at it and think 'seen it all before and really whats the point'.
    Hoping it will end soon, so the investment can go on something else.
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lettice wrote: »
    On 3D i have read recently that soon the BBC two year test of 3D comes to an end and they are moving on to the next 4k/8k type broadcast technologies
    As for sky, I'm sure they are just doing a bit for F1 to justify their investment of 3d cameras and staff etc. to their shareholders. It seems to have ended everywhere else.

I believe the BBC test ended with Mr Stink at Christmas. They've decided to carry on, as Doctor Who in 3D was announced last week.

As for Sky, I would say it;s been reasonably successful. It's only been available (up to the end of March that is) to those who pay top whack and I estimate that roughly 10% of those customers have activated it. 400,000 homes after two and bit years is not far off the growth of Sky HD (498,000 after 26 months).
  • JonpollakJonpollak Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I got an email from my friend Melanie this morning.She's a marshal at CircuitCat. She mentioned the 3-D camera operators constantly fiddling with the gear, swearing a lot then packing up early..:yawn:
    Saw the 4k demo in Japan last October.It's amazing.
    3-D gives me a headache.
    Jp
  • The WandererThe Wanderer Posts: 5,238
    Forum Member
    I'm with the 3D skeptics, I watched a football game in 3D when s;ected games were available in pubs only and I was underwhelmed. Whether it's because my eyes are knackered I don't know, but still it's something I wouldn't invest in.

Mind you, I'm not overly bothered with HD, yeah it's great but not worth paying £10 per month extra
  • charliesayscharliesays Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ken

I can never agree with the argument that Sky Sports is too expensive. A Premier League game is £40, a day at the test getting on for £100, rugby league £20......

For an extra £20 a month (barely 5 pints these days) I get access to all of these and infinitely more. Seems more than fair to me.
  • gamercraiggamercraig Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    I am with the 3D sceptics too, I find it is like watching flat images placed in front of one another to give the illusion of depth. Unless hologram broadcasting comes along 3D is never going to look right. I much a prefer a high quality HD image which then gives you depth going backwards and is natural.
    As for f1 3d what are they thinking off? There's so many multiple angles shown, not static like a football match, it will be a nightmare
    As for Sky f1 going behind the sports pay wall, anyone who didn't see that coming was a little naive.
This discussion has been closed.