Muriel's Wedding

Scotty2012Scotty2012 Posts: 1,065
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I first seen this film in 1997. I liked it and that was that.
I watched it again in 2001 and loved it! I understood a lot more of the humour and it has since become one of my all time favourites. Anyways... a few film stills were uploaded to a fan page on Facebook the other day and seen as I haven't seen it in years I thought I'd watch it again. I laughed at the funny bits and noticed some more humour, however, it was also incredibly sad. I seemed to see the whole thing as a tragedy rather than a comedy. Interesting how perception changes over the years.

Comments

• SonofaBeastSonofaBeast Posts: 334
    Forum Member
    I remember watching it back in the 1990s and it introducing me to Abba's music. I haven't watched it for donkey's years.
  • rybevrybev Posts: 1,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant film, if i had time i'd recite it for you - word for word but i'm off to work :(
  • abigail1234abigail1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw this not expecting to like it at all as I don't do weddings and I don't like Abba. In fact I loved it - and it made me appreciate Abba (until that Meryl Streep film turned me off them again!)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 73
    Forum Member
    Great film. I love the bit where Mureil and Rhonda sing Waterloo.

I watched with my bf and he hated it and thought Muriel was selfish. I see his point but I think she just wanted to get away from the family.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Here's Deirdre Chambers! What a coincidence!
  • juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    You're terrible Muriel...:o
  • rybevrybev Posts: 1,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .......Mariel :D
  • embyemby Posts: 7,837
    Forum Member
    One of my favourite films, I adore it. :D
    Toni Collette is pretty perfect.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,873
    Forum Member
    emby wrote: »
    One of my favourite films, I adore it. :D
    Toni Collette is pretty perfect.

Me too. it came out at a time when there were some really classic Australian films made - The Castle and Priscilla are two that spring to mind.
  • Yobaba**Yobaba** Posts: 4,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is a very sad movie. I always felt sympathy for the mother character.:(

Toni Collette is pretty excellent. Although it is a sad movie it is also very feel-good and uplifting although the ending is kind of bittersweet. It's also great buddy movie, I love Rhonda too.:D "I'm not alone. I'm with Muriel."
  • nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,051
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love this film, and Priscilla!
  • Katana1000Katana1000 Posts: 750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was great, and really showed up some of my real friends for such pretentious fickle materialistic beings they are, especially the venom of some Woman I know ...

I'm Married ... LOL and other obscene stuff too :)

Must watch it again sometime soon.

Anyone remember ... Letter to Brezhnev?

Another one I have to see again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're terrible Muriel...:o

Classic line imo, just the way Muriel's sister says it is top, makes me laugh just thinking of it. The film on the whole does seem to have this strange mix of funny and sad, and I really feel for Muriel alot, like how she got married and had all these high hopes, and she thought she had it, what she wanted at last, but in reality, she never had it. Really sad, but great film on the whole
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    Katana1000 wrote: »
    I thought it was great, and really showed up some of my real friends for such pretentious fickle materialistic beings they are, especially the venom of some Woman I know ...

I'm Married ... LOL and other obscene stuff too :)

Must watch it again sometime soon.

Anyone remember ... Letter to Brezhnev?

Another one I have to see again.

Yes! Letter to brezhnev and Muriel are my fave films :D
  • Scotty2012Scotty2012 Posts: 1,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tania: "He couldn't get it up, so you know, I... (motions a bj) and I noticed there was lipstick on it!

Janine: "on what?"

Tania: "His di*k!!!"
  • HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yobaba** wrote: »
    It is a very sad movie. I always felt sympathy for the mother character.:(

Toni Collette is pretty excellent. Although it is a sad movie it is also very feel-good and uplifting although the ending is kind of bittersweet. It's also great buddy movie, I love Rhonda too.:D "I'm not alone. I'm with Muriel."

It is a great film, funny and sad. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm married! I'm beautiful!
  • Scotty2012Scotty2012 Posts: 1,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm going to watch it today. I need a good laugh
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,138
    Forum Member
    Scotty2012 wrote: »
    I'm going to watch it today. I need a good laugh

I love this film too but have to say that I find it more depressing than it is uplifting.
  • whatsername235whatsername235 Posts: 360
    Forum Member
    Love this film, I find it really interesting to read that people get different messages from it. I understand why you'd find it depressing/sad etc but I think it ends on a happy note. The way I see it, she spent all her life thinking she had to be married to be happy, turns out she just needed a friend.

Crack up every time I watch it and see Bryce dancing. He's so bad he looks like a puppet.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 432
    Forum Member
    Not seen this for a few years. I also love the bit when they sing waterloo.
    Wondering if I can get to watch it again soon
  • owlie81owlie81 Posts: 154
    Forum Member
    Favourite lines for me are:-

1. Tania - 'You're all a bunch of cock suckers!!'

2. Muriel to new husband - ....you're South African...are you black?
  • meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,104
    Forum Member
    Love this film.
    Muriel doesn't half go on a journey of self-discovery. I like the juxtaposition of Muriel hating herself and desperately wanting to be a new person, while Rhonda thinks she's great as she is and hates it when she becomes Mariel.

The bit where Bryce is trying to unzip Muriel's trousers but unzips the beanbag instead. :D It's a moment of pure hilarity, only to then have the mood crushed by Rhonda collapsing.
    Although another bit that makes me laugh is when Rhonda discovers that Muriel is going round all the wedding dress shops and then suddenly calls her name behind her and scares her so much that she screams.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved this when I saw it! It really is a great film. A real bitter-sweet comedy. And I love the ending.

I really must watch this again soon!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "She's all yours mate!" Her Father giving her away at the wedding.