Will "This Is Us" outgross "Never Say Never"

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 139
Forum Member
With 1D's movie almost 2 weeks away, do you think that they will outgross "Never Say Never?" Based on all the hype, I could see it happening.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    Ive never understood the point of concert movies. They aren't even real documentaries. What does one hope to gain by seeing it?

On topic, it could happen. The biebs wouldnt like it, but I could see it happening.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 139
    Forum Member
    On topic, it could happen. The biebs wouldnt like it, but I could see it happening.

I don't think Bieber would have much of a problem with 1D outgrossing him. The Beliebers, on the other hand, would probably be furious!
  • So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just for peoples reference, the grosses of other concert films:

1. Michael Jackson's This Is It - $261,183,588
    2. Justin Bieber: Never Say Never - $98,441,954
    3. Hannah Montana & Miley Cyrus: Best of Both Worlds Concert - $70,642,036
    4. Katy Perry: Part of Me - $32,439,363
    5. Jonas Brothers: The 3D Concert Experience - $23,186,960
    Forum Member
    I predict it will land in the 80 million range in the end.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're equally gross so there's no real winner.
  • LandslideBradLandslideBrad Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    Probably because Justin was much younger in Never Say Never which possibly put off like 18 year olds +, idk I didn't watch it because I'm not here for foetus Justin but One Direction are like 20 and don't have squeaky voices so I'm assuming it'll do better but I also assume Justin will have another concert movie soon (or at least he better have one :p).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ive never understood the point of concert movies. They aren't even real documentaries. What does one hope to gain by seeing it?

Me neither. I think concert movies serves no purpose at all. The behind the scenes segments are just vague and never go into the details (ie. what the audiences really wanted to see). Hannah Montana's concert movie managed to be a hit because the show and the franchise was at its peak then. Funny how Jonas Brothers were popular around the same time and their concert film tanked. I suppose 1D's box office can be determined by how dominantly popular they really are when the film releases. The film in the US is opening opposite two wide release films, Getaway and Closed Circuit.
    Tekken_Guy wrote: »
    I don't think Bieber would have much of a problem with 1D outgrossing him. The Beliebers, on the other hand, would probably be furious!

Yeah, it will just be like that bullshit VMA category last year about some popular voting shit award. The votes were incredibly close between Belibers and Directioners. Good God. MTV thought they were going to get ratings gold, when in fact, the award show went down huge in ratings year-to-year.
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the whole 3D concert movie thing might have cooled off quite a bit since then. Katy's did just OK despite decent enough reviews (for what it was) and I remember Glee tanked. Which is perhaps why we haven't seen the glut of releases that might have been expected had those two films done a bit better. Obviously 1D are very popular at the moment (particularly in the US) and they might be able to buck the trend a bit. But their popularity should drive a decent box office figure.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Probably :yawn:
    Forum Member
    http://www.boxoffice.com/statistics/long_term_predictions

These box office numbers predict that "This Is Us" will be the highest-grossing out of itself, "Getaway" and "Closed Circuit," so this should help it as far as outgrossing Bieber's film is concerned. Nevertheless, it will easily beat Hannah Montana, right?
  • andi84andi84 Posts: 2,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.boxoffice.com/statistics/long_term_predictions

These box office numbers predict that "This Is Us" will be the highest-grossing out of itself, "Getaway" and "Closed Circuit," so this should help it as far as outgrossing Bieber's film is concerned. Nevertheless, it will easily beat Hannah Montana, right?

After watching some of the livestream of yesterday's premiere, I'm starting to believe they might actually outgross Bieber's film... But only if these crazy fans all go and watch the film (once or more). You can never be sure with directioners if they really buy the product (CDs, singles etc.) or just download it illegally...
  • TYCOTYCO Posts: 5,891
    Forum Member

All Bieber fans and One Direction fans out to erase each other from the planet can only be a good thing. Now if we could just find a way to make Lady Gaga fans a part of this...
  • WhisperingGhostWhisperingGhost Posts: 4,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spiceworld FTW!!!!!!