Stephen Poliakoff's Dancing on the Edge

Comments

• parthenaparthena Posts: 2,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jandy19 wrote: »
    he knew Sarah was traitor to him and he wasn't interested in her any more.

Why didn't Poliakoff let Louis find out, one way or another, why Sarah had "betrayed" him? What would anyone have done in her situation?
  • WanderinWonderWanderinWonder Posts: 3,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed this drama. Sumptuous, elegant and atmospheric. The last episode had me gripped! Some great performances throughout too.

One thing that bugs me is why did Arthur Donaldson not make the call to save the former band manager (Jay?) from being deported in the 1st or 2nd episode?

I can see how Stephen Poliakoff is a marmite screenwriter, as the dialogue between some characters might have seemed quite stilted and wooden to some (I'm thinking the exchanges between Julian and his sister in particular). However I rather liked their strange, detached style of interaction. I imagine their manner on screen was a deliberate move on Poliakoff's part.

I've enjoyed Chiwetel Ejiofor's performances in a number of things, I think I first came across him in the film Dirty Pretty Things. I liked his intriguing accent and mysterious manner in DotE. My enjoyment of his performances was helped along further by him looking so handsome in that tux, and as usual finding myself mesmerised by his eyes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Does anybody know who the strange people with the press were - especially that woman who looked so sinister? That seemed to be one of the things that went away but I was dying to know what that was all about.
  • maggie_07maggie_07 Posts: 1,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed this drama. Sumptuous, elegant and atmospheric. The last episode had me gripped! Some great performances throughout too.

One thing that bugs me is why did Arthur Donaldson not make the call to save the former band manager (Jay?) from being deported in the 1st or 2nd episode?

I can see how Stephen Poliakoff is a marmite screenwriter, as the dialogue between some characters might have seemed quite stilted and wooden to some (I'm thinking the exchanges between Julian and his sister in particular). However I rather liked their strange, detached style of interaction. I imagine their manner on screen was a deliberate move on Poliakoff's part.

I've enjoyed Chiwetel Ejiofor's performances in a number of things, I think I first came across him in the film Dirty Pretty Things. I liked his intriguing accent and mysterious manner in DotE. My enjoyment of his performances was helped along further by him looking so handsome in that tux, and as usual finding myself mesmerised by his eyes.

Poliakoff doesn't always explain everything (which I like - he leaves some things to our imagination) but my interpretation is that he thought the manager was a bit of a loose cannon and would be a hinderance to the band so they would be better off without him. He never intended to make that call. As shown later, he was quite devious. I think he also sent for the police when Louis was in his kitchen, rather than trying to protect him as he said.

I agree with your summary, I enjoyed every minute of this series.
  • montyburns56montyburns56 Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This was just posted on the Paradise thread here on Digital Spy, an interview with Joanna Vanderham. Doens't say much about the Paradise, but very revealing about Dancing On the Edge.

"The star of ITV’s autumn hit The Paradise" FFS!
  • miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Found the last episode to be quite tense!. Enjoyed it, but like other wondered who the scary looking pale people were supposed to be!
  • DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched the final episode last night. I had been enjoying the drama up until then, but thought the final episode was a letdown. How someone on the run from a murder charge would be spending any time in full evening dress was IMO completely unrealistic. I get the theory of "hiding in full sight" but that was over the top.

The performances seemed to me to be wooden and just odd - I had hoped for more. Of course Julian was the obvious suspect all the way through, so obvious that, being used to a diet of Agatha Christie novels etc, I kept waiting for the usual twist.
  • warszawawarszawa Posts: 4,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why Louis couldn't have just changed in the trees where they were, instead of the farcical pavillion scene i don't know. Also, would the police have left his passport lying around like that? I think not. Ultimately it was a bit Scooby Doo, although there were some great moments too.
  • BosoxBosox Posts: 14,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Strange, there's another episode of Dancing on the Edge on Sunday at 10:30 pm being described as a 'companion piece'.
    Companion piece to Stephen Poliakoff's jazz-era drama, in which journalist Stanley Mitchell chats to bandleader Louis Lester and singers Jessie and Carla. Louis talks about what it is like to be a black musician in London and the pair discuss what attracts the aristocracy to the group. Stanley then talks to Carla and Jessie, who open up about their upbringings and their feelings about becoming famous. Matthew Goode and Chiwetel Ejiofor star.

http://www.radiotimes.com/episode/vpncz/dancing-on-the-edge--dancing-on-the-edge-interviewing-louis
  • TiffanyThorneTiffanyThorne Posts: 960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks. I was wondering what the announcer meant when he said last Monday that there would be an interview with Louis coming up.
  • DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bosox wrote: »
    Strange, there's another episode of Dancing on the Edge on Sunday at 10:30 pm being described as a 'companion piece'.

http://www.radiotimes.com/episode/vpncz/dancing-on-the-edge--dancing-on-the-edge-interviewing-louis

Well spotted. I have set my PVR manually to record it - it hadn't picked up that this programme could be part of the series. Hardly surprising as it is on a different channel to the rest of the series. It will be an interesting programme - but I wonder how many viewers who enjoyed the series will miss it?
  • Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Louis interview on tonight!
  • LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone watching? I can't help but wonder if this interview format would have sustained the drama better than the series that was written instead.

Also, half-ten on a Sunday on BBC2? Loads of faith there from the Beeb!
  • RickyLeeds85RickyLeeds85 Posts: 11,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lenitive wrote: »
    Anyone watching? I can't help but wonder if this interview format would have sustained the drama better than the series that was written instead.

Also, half-ten on a Sunday on BBC2? Loads of faith there from the Beeb!

did they even promote it? enjoyed the interview which gave a more closed ending to the series.
  • miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The interview was good apart from the woman waffling on the phone about her husband!
  • chitariverachitarivera Posts: 36,905
    Forum Member
    Would some kind person please help me out?
    My PVR cut off before the end of the last episode. I settled down to watch all of them in a row yesterday and missed the end!!!
    I saw Julian and the shooting scene.
    I saw the Band and Stanley etc on the Train.
    They stopped at a station before the destination and all got out......then.................cut off.

Did Julian's letter reach the Authorities or did Anthony Head's character get hold of it and destroy it?
    Did Louis escape? Did he need to if Julian's confession was read by the police.

What did Jackie Bisett's character do?
    Just remain sitting there staring???

So many questions.

I looked on iplayer but all I can see is an interview, no actual episodes.

:cry:
  • Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The interview was interesting to a point but added little to the story imo. I had to laugh at Jessie saying she would never let fame change her because it did just before she died.

The mad woman ringing Louis and waffling on about the masons was just wtf for me - utter nonsense. She was very pretty, though - was the actress the same one who played the maid in Upstairs Downstairs?

I thought it would offer better insight into what went on than it actually did.
    Forum Member
    Anyone?
    Please tell me what happened at the end after they got off the Train.
    My recorder cut off before the end.
  • Cherry-chocCherry-choc Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd love to help but I've deleted the last ep from my planner. I don't remember the details clearly enough to have confidence reciting it :o
  • suesuesuesuesuesue Posts: 15,981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The interview was good apart from the woman waffling on the phone about her husband!
    I probably got hold of the wrong end of the stick but thought she was unintentionally predicting the rise of the Nazis and WW2. All that talk about far right wing views and awful things that would happen and the need to 'stick together'. Remember that Brit aristocrats like those seen in this were friendly with the far right.
  • maggie_07maggie_07 Posts: 1,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone?

If I remember correctly, Louis left them at the station to get on a boat to France. I think the next scene (a few months later) was Stanley in his old office with the rest of his team. Masterson had sold the paper back to the original owner and gone back to America I think.

Then the next scene I think is at the hotel where the band has reformed (unless it's a different band, I'm not sure) and Carla is singing. Stanley is there with Pamela and he is called to the phone. It is Louis, he is in Marseilles and said he is going to America where he knows there will be a lot of musicians looking for work but he is going to try his luck there anyway. Stanley said "Did you read about Julian?" and Louis said he had so I think the truth had come out by then. I'm sure the waitress would have handed the letter to the police. I think the last scene was Carla singing with the band.

I'm sure there are bits that I have left out but perhaps someone else with a better memory than me will fill in the gaps.
    Forum Member
    I am grateful for that maggie, thank you so much.
  • Alex482Alex482 Posts: 482
    Forum Member
    Anyone?

maggie summarised the ending well, but if you're still interested you can watch the final 10 minutes here; the whole episode is on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKxz_RZzBik
    Forum Member
    Alex482 wrote: »
    maggie summarised the ending well, but if you're still interested you can watch the final 10 minutes here; the whole episode is on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKxz_RZzBik

Thank you so very much.

I shall watch it now.

:)