About time for a new HDD.

Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm starting to get automatic Disk Checking on startup (with unreadable segments listed), so I'm thinking it's getting about time for a new HDD.

In the old days of my Win98 PC, I'd have just made a set of mirror image CDs, using Drive Image 3.0

On this XP PC, however, Windows Restore is on a separate partition on the C Drive, so I'm thinking I need some kind of migration utility.

So, a couple of questions if I may?

1. Can someone recommend a (preferably free) migration utility?

2. Does the new HDD need to be the same size as the old one, or will it be possible to migrate to a larger one (could certainly use more storage space), while keeping the Windows Restore partition the same size?

Comments

• flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    most if not all HDD manufacturers offer a free utility on their website. it's usually a stripped down version of acronis true image. either the source or destination drive has to be from the manufacturer in question.

check out the app before you buy the drive. but you just put both disks in, clone one to the other, which is admittedly slightly scary, but easy nonetheless.

The drives do not need to be the same size, no.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have a look at Macrium Reflect. I've used the free version and liked it so much I actually paid for the full version! :)

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

It can clone or image multiple partitions in one go and restore them all again. It can create a bootable recovery CD to do the restoring bit.

So basically you could image your existing drive to a USB drive (for example). Slap in the new drive and copy it all back. It doesn't matter if the drive sizes are different between original and new.

Another option if you have a USB caddy or adapter for the new drive is to clone your existing drive directly onto the new drive. ie stick the new drive in a caddy/adapter and copy the data over in one hit. I'm fairly sure the free version is identical to the paid version in this respect.
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Have a look at Macrium Reflect. I've used the free version and liked it so much I actually paid for the full version! :)

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

It can clone or image multiple partitions in one go and restore them all again. It can create a bootable recovery CD to do the restoring bit.

So basically you could image your existing drive to a USB drive (for example). Slap in the new drive and copy it all back. It doesn't matter if the drive sizes are different between original and new.

Another option if you have a USB caddy or adapter for the new drive is to clone your existing drive directly onto the new drive. ie stick the new drive in a caddy/adapter and copy the data over in one hit. I'm fairly sure the free version is identical to the paid version in this respect.

You're assuming it's a laptop right?

If it is then yeah he needs to buy a caddy. they only cost <£10, but if it's a pc he can just connect both drives. even if he needs to disconnect an optical drive for the duration.
  • Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is a PC.

Just been looking at replacement drives.

How does the following sound?

WD, 500GB SATA. 5400rpm.

£54-99.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    So basically you could image your existing drive to a USB drive (for example). Slap in the new drive and copy it all back.

Would a USB HDD do?
    Forum Member
    Bedsit Bob wrote: »
    It is a PC.

Just been looking at replacement drives.

How does the following sound?

WD, 500GB SATA. 5400rpm.

£54-99.

Sounds a bit pricey to be honest. but it's really up to you how much storage you want and what kind of drive.

for another 20 quid you could get a 2TB drive.

you know it's definitely SATA?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would a USB HDD do?
    Any storage media will do as long as Windows recognises it.

But as flagpole rightly pointed out above if you have a PC with spare drive connectors (power and data) then you simply stick the new drive in the PC and clone the old to new drive directly. No need to muck about with an intermediate drive such as a USB device.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    you know it's definitely SATA?

The HDD or the PC?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The HDD or the PC?
    The PC. If the PC does not have SATA connections on the motherboard then you'll need to buy a SATA controller card to plug into a spare PCI slot. Or get an IDE drive (AKA PATA) instead.
    Forum Member
    The HDD or the PC?

the PC.

as in if you are going to buy a sata drive you need to be sure that it is a sata pc.

most are. all of them within the past what 6, 7, 8 years. i don't remember. but you do need to check.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was SATA, but I'm not so sure now. :(
    Forum Member

it's not hard to find out.. looking at the disk is a good start. the connectors are very different.

or you could look in the device manager. google your mother board.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not the end of the world though as SATA controller cards can be had for not a lot of money. You would also have to invest in a power plug converter as they are different as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it might not be SATA after all.

I've had a look in Device Manager, and it says:-

IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers
    Primary IDE Channel
    Secondary IDE Channel
    SiS PCI EDE Controller
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it might not be SATA after all.

I've had a look in Device Manager, and it says:-

IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers
    Primary IDE Channel
    Secondary IDE Channel
    SiS PCI EDE Controller
    Do you know the make and model of the motherboard? A quick google might tell you what capabilities it has. If you don't know and don't want to open up the case to look then download this

http://www.piriform.com/speccy

and run it. It should tell you the motherboard details you need.
    Forum Member
    open it up and have a look.

even if it is using ide now it may have sata on the board.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I think I've managed to delay the inevitable.

I transferred a lot of files to my portable HDD, the ran Defrag on the C Drive.

When I then ran Error-checking, there were no reports of unreadable segments, so I guess there are no longer any files on the iffy areas. :cool:

I realise it's not a permanent solution, but it gives me a little breathing space.
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My 9 yr old Compaq Desktop is IDE but still has two unused SATA connectors on the Motherboard.

I spotted them once when poking around inside, when fitting an IDE to SATA converter.
    They were clearly labelled SATA1 and 2.

I was so convinced the PC was too ancient I didn't bother checking before buying the converter.
    Forum Member
    Well, I think I've managed to delay the inevitable.

I transferred a lot of files to my portable HDD, the ran Defrag on the C Drive.

When I then ran Error-checking, there were no reports of unreadable segments, so I guess there are no longer any files on the iffy areas. :cool:

I realise it's not a permanent solution, but it gives me a little breathing space.
    Your hard disk is going to fail. it does not seem sensible to delay.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I realise it's on its way out, but I don't get paid for another week, so it's going to have to wait.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I realise it's on its way out, but I don't get paid for another week, so it's going to have to wait.

Then dont use the PC for a week then until you can transfer your data.
  • cp2cp2 Posts: 944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just in case you think that your HDD is going to last...

I would suggest that you download Seatools (its free and it doesn't have to be a Seagate drive) and run the short generic test.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've tried installing that cp2, but it says I require Microsoft .NET Framework 4, but when I try to download it, the download won't start. :mad:
  • cp2cp2 Posts: 944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've tried installing that cp2, but it says I require Microsoft .NET Framework 4, but when I try to download it, the download won't start. :mad:

Mmm... my usual workaround this is to temporarily disable my firewall and anti-virus but this may not be something you want to do.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The programme itself downloaded, but Microsoft .NET Framework 4 won't.

Which is odd, because it's coming from the Microsoft Site, from which I have no trouble downloading updates.