Arrested Development

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
Forum Member
Not sure if this will get many replies because, although it is presently airing (albeit irregularly and late night, just as it did on first showing in the States) on FX it has never attracted great numbers, which is a terrible shame as I would confidently name it as the best comedy show ever.
I came upon it a few years ago by chance when I was around 17; an age impressionable enough and naive enough to consider British comedy the best around, having sampled many of our classics and seen only trash like Friends from across the pond. Stumbling upon Arrested Development completely blew out those ridiculous misconceptions I had, because here was an American comedy that was utterly brilliant and made me laugh out loud every single episode, which most comedies rarely ever do.
It launched the careers of Michael Cera (of Superbad/Juno fame. He honed his awkward nerd-teen skills here) and Jason Bateman (Horrible Bosses, The Change Up amongst others. He honed his straight-up professional businessman skills here) amongst others. The cast is indeed fantastic, every character is brilliant, and it has some of the best female characters on any comedy I've seen, they are never relegated to the sidelines for the boys to have all the fun, it's great.

To anyone who has seen it: I'd be very amazed if you weren't like me, a completely, rabidly, obsessive fan who has watched every episode at least 40 times without ever getting bored, can quote from any scene, any episode, and counts down the days until the miniseries.

To everyone else I implore you: give this a watch, it is brilliant!

Comments

• RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hey guy,

I'n on a re-watch at the moment. Can't wait for its comeback next year (fingers crossed),
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    I too love Arrested Development and have all 3 seasons saved on hard drive, it's something I can watch over and over like Seinfeld.

There was talk of a film and then a spin off show. Does anyone have any info on what's happening ?
  • CPW4EVERCPW4EVER Posts: 2,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have the full series on DVD and it is due a re-watch even though I could probably act every episode at this stage I've seen them that often. It is my favourite US comedy series ever. I think the scheduling of it on BBC2 around midnight meant that it never gained much attention in the UK. It is amazingly written and acted and I don't know how they got away with some of the stuff that they did on notoriously conservative US network television. It was almost like it was a HBO show. The film adaptation has been talked about for ages but they haven't started filming anything as of yet as far as I'm aware. They were going to do a series of webisodes leading up to the film and then the film would go on general release in the cinemas. The cast of this show worked so well together. It is rare to get an ensemble cast like that who just seem to click so well.
  • Ghost WorldGhost World Posts: 7,036
    Forum Member
    Not sure if this will get many replies because, although it is presently airing (albeit irregularly and late night, just as it did on first showing in the States) on FX it has never attracted great numbers, which is a terrible shame as I would confidently name it as the best comedy show ever.
    I came upon it a few years ago by chance when I was around 17; an age impressionable enough and naive enough to consider British comedy the best around, having sampled many of our classics and seen only trash like Friends from across the pond. Stumbling upon Arrested Development completely blew out those ridiculous misconceptions I had, because here was an American comedy that was utterly brilliant and made me laugh out loud every single episode, which most comedies rarely ever do.
    It launched the careers of Michael Cera (of Superbad/Juno fame. He honed his awkward nerd-teen skills here) and Jason Bateman (Horrible Bosses, The Change Up amongst others. He honed his straight-up professional businessman skills here) amongst others. The cast is indeed fantastic, every character is brilliant, and it has some of the best female characters on any comedy I've seen, they are never relegated to the sidelines for the boys to have all the fun, it's great.

To anyone who has seen it: I'd be very amazed if you weren't like me, a completely, rabidly, obsessive fan who has watched every episode at least 40 times without ever getting bored, can quote from any scene, any episode, and counts down the days until the miniseries.

To everyone else I implore you: give this a watch, it is brilliant!
    Off-topic, but given your screen name and your love for AD, are you a fan of Mr. Show?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Barb Ablar wrote: »
    I too love Arrested Development and have all 3 seasons saved on hard drive, it's something I can watch over and over like Seinfeld.

There was talk of a film and then a spin off show. Does anyone have any info on what's happening ?

Looks like they're finally making some movement on filming the miniseries :D

http://www.digitalspy.ie/ustv/news/a375903/arrested-development-reunion-to-shoot-this-summer-says-will-arnett.html
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never "got" this show. I tried watching a few episodes but just didn't find them funny. I guess maybe I had high expectations, especially after hearing how good it was.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never "got" this show. I tried watching a few episodes but just didn't find them funny. I guess maybe I had high expectations, especially after hearing how good it was.

Did you watch it from episode one or start watching a few episodes in? I love the show but the one criticism that I would have is that it is hard enough for people to get into it if they haven't seen it from the very start. Nearly every episode makes reference to a continuing joke or situation from a previous episode so if you haven't seen the episode then you won't have a clue what the reference is about.
  • mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    Off-topic, but given your screen name and your love for AD, are you a fan of Mr. Show?

Mr Show is awesome... and unlike some shows, you'll *always* find apples.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tP4yX2rkpBc
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tobias has to be one of the greatest comedy characters ever! i only found this program 6 months ago. watched it 3 times over already!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5posU08HjXg

his business card had me proper buckled!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    CPW4EVER wrote: »

Great news ! Thanks for the link !
  • Ghost WorldGhost World Posts: 7,036
    Forum Member
    mrkite77 wrote: »
    Mr Show is awesome... and unlike some shows, you'll *always* find apples.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tP4yX2rkpBc
    Can I use this chair?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did you watch it from episode one or start watching a few episodes in? I love the show but the one criticism that I would have is that it is hard enough for people to get into it if they haven't seen it from the very start. Nearly every episode makes reference to a continuing joke or situation from a previous episode so if you haven't seen the episode then you won't have a clue what the reference is about.

I watched the first four episodes. I think, for some reason I expected it to be a sitcom like How I Met Your Mother or something. I found out it wasn't when I looked it up on Wikipedia, but still watched it anyway.
  • Alfie ElkinsAlfie Elkins Posts: 331
    Forum Member
    the best comedy programme ever after Curb Your Enthusiasm.
    everything about the first 2 seasons is perfect.
  • Killary45Killary45 Posts: 1,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    !

I also love Arrested Development, but you must also be a fan of
    Better Call Saul!!

http://www.bettercallsaul.com/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 197
    Forum Member

I agree. I love how every episode is full of long running gags and storylines from previous episodes! It makes me smile when its just the silly things like how people who don't know GOB pronounce it incorrectly and he gets annoyed :D

Looking forward to the miniseries and film. Glad all the characters will be back as they are all perfect and their presence would be missed if anyone wasn't returning.
  • Tweacle Tart IITweacle Tart II Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    Just to point out, it didn't "launch" the career of Jason Bateman as he was a HUGE child/teenage star in the Eighties - so let's just call it a "relaunch" ;)

I got into Arrested Development by chance. I had a massive crush on Jason Bateman when I was a teenager and one day, he popped into my head and I thought "I wonder what happened to him?" so I looked around online and he'd just won a Golden Globe for this show I'd never heard of so I gave it a go. I have all the DVD's (had them for years) but I've not watched them all yet :o but I'm a fan.....! And Jason Bateman has just got better with age!! :D
  • mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    I want to cry so bad, but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just rewatched all 3 seasons on Netflix recently - I can't wait for the new episodes and movie.

It's one of my all time favourite shows!
  • ross8503ross8503 Posts: 420
    Forum Member
    One of the best shows ever. It is near to perfection.
  • FlickJFlickJ Posts: 246
    Forum Member
    love love love this show. Tobias gotta be one of the best comedy characters of all time. I love Lucille (the mum not lucille 2 although she is also great) and Gob.... so many good characters. The only negative I would have is the few episodes with the English theme, didn't get that at all but aside from those few episodes sheer genius. Fingers crossed the film does actually happen. might just have to go watch the box set now .....
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    just started watching this

seen first 3 episodes, buster had me in stiches with bleep-laden tirade at his mother haha

is netflix s4 a full season?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    whedon247 wrote: »
    is netflix s4 a full season?

15 episodes
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    and they got full cast back?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    whedon247 wrote: »
    and they got full cast back?

As far as I'm aware yeah, and not only the main cast but also many of the guest stars / recurring characters from the original run. Also, the 15 episodes will all be available at the same time.