Final Fantasy retrospective

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 292
Forum Member
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news/a435078/final-fantasy-retrospective-a-look-back-at-25-years-of-the-rpg-series.html

Thought it was kind of interesting, although I don't know about IX being the best Playstation Final Fantasy. That goes to VII. I'd certainly say the series is struggling now though, XIII was terrible and I have absolutely no desire to play it's sequels. I was looking forward to Versus XIII but that probably still won't come out for several years. Dissidia looks fun but I don't own a PSP.

So yeah, umm...which one's your favourite? Least favourite? Do you agree that it's struggling and are have you lost interest in Final Fantasy now?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    funnily enough my comment keep getting deleted of that page, because i mentioned the author didn't really give a retrospective and more he just mentioned each game briefly and i also accused him of having no backbone for the lack of opinions he gave which was to clearly avoid grief should he mention he hates a game which others like, so i was a little apprehensive to start a thread like this myself

But having spent at least a few hours on every numbered final fantasy games (aside from the online ones) i can say i have games i like and don't and others i need to finish

Final Fantasy: fantastic game, didn't need a back story you where just 4 warriors who where on a task to save the world

Final Fantasy II: the story setup was good but i hated the leveling system so much i couldn't get into

Final Fantasy III: recently bought it to play on my Vita so i'll reserve judgement

Final Fantasy IV: i bought the complete collection on PSP and what a game everything about it is amazing, the story, the characters everything

Final Fantasy V: started but need to finish so no real opinion

Final Fantasy VI: same as V

Final Fantasy VII: my first RPG and my favorite since the first time i played it, nothing much i can say people wouldn't already know about the game, in my opinion simply the greatest game ever made

Final Fantasy VII: The worst game i have ever played, literally anything somebody can mention about this can send me into major rants for a long time and to add even more insult the game is a time loop that no matter what you do has happened a million times before and will happen a million times again (and no i don't care i just spoiled the game :D)

Final Fantasy IX: My feeling after three disks and my PS3 breaking and me losing my save...Meh whatever

Final Fantasy X: what a game is this fantastic this game was so good that even today me and friends start new playthroughs today and we eagerly await the HD remake so we can start again again again...

Final Fantasy XI: haven't played

Final Fantasy XII: after 10 (in a similar way i anticipated FFVIII) i was looking forward to this for so long i was so excited, i literally saved every penny i had for weeks/months even to get this and i got home from school one day and there it was and then i started playing and it was ok until i started playing as a street rat and it just got worse and worse, i need to buy the magic, then buy the license for the magic and then equip the magic... WHY!, its such a boring boring game

Final Fantasy XIII: i like it despite all the bad things that i can't dispute, it is to linear, it is hard to understand, it is to simple to play yet i still like it, the main problem is the battle system is to perfect because it knows that you know the best moves to use, so why go through every menu when you already know what the best move is and can just auto battle
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know that everyone has their own opinion but . . . .. . . . . this guy is clearly talking b*llocks.

FVII is not only the best of the series, it's also the best RPG ever made and close to being the greatest computer game every made.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I know that everyone has their own opinion but . . . .. . . . . this guy is clearly talking b*llocks.

FVII is not only the best of the series, it's also the best RPG ever made and close to being the greatest computer game every made.

Totally agree.

It was like playing in a movie. All the cinematic cut scenes worked well with the story and game play.

None of the FF games since have come close to matching it.
  • DandemDandem Posts: 13,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally, I agree with the comment about IX. I absolutely adore Final Fantasy IX and is my 2nd favourite game of all time. Everything was nearly right (the final boss battle is the only let down). But character development, cinematography, gameplay, graphics, story and longevity make this just simply awesome. My personal favourite of the series for sure.

VIII gets a lot of stick but I really do love VIII. Squall's character development, admittedly, is quite poor, but the Junction system, more futuristic setting and links with Laguna's stories are brilliant. The Junction system in particular just isn't as complex as people make out it is and offers a unique way to boost skills. The story is gripping enough to keep you going too. And who doesn't love the infinitely playable Triple Triad? :D

VII of course deserves its status as a classic. I joined the VII party extremely late (only played it last year), but Cloud's persona isn't nearly as grumpy as I was expecting. Which is good. Tifa and Red XIII are two of the best characters in the franchise, but the story is just so engrossing. That famous scene really does tug at the heartstrings and serves as a brilliant device to ensure Sephiroth's status as the greatest villain in the franchise (although I haven't played VI, I do hear good things about Kefka). A true classic.

X is alright. The voice actors aren't great but it's a very good game, taking classic FF and adapting it to what the PS2 is capable of. Not the best game, but good enough.

XII is awful, and I refuse to say anything about it other than Vaan is simply the worst protagonist in the series thus far.

XIII isn't terrible, but I can see why it gets the stick it does. The linearity is parting the game with its roots (something I despise Resident Evil 4 for) and the characters are incredibly irritating (Hope with his Operation NORA crap in particular). Saying that, I enjoyed the new battle engine and found the Paradigm Shift absolutely brilliant. A real redeeming feature. That said, I've still never finished the game.

Not played any of the others.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dandem wrote: »
    Personally, I agree with the comment about IX. I absolutely adore Final Fantasy IX and is my 2nd favourite game of all time. Everything was nearly right (the final boss battle is the only let down). But character development, cinematography, gameplay, graphics, story and longevity make this just simply awesome. My personal favourite of the series for sure.

VIII gets a lot of stick but I really do love VIII. Squall's character development, admittedly, is quite poor, but the Junction system, more futuristic setting and links with Laguna's stories are brilliant. The Junction system in particular just isn't as complex as people make out it is and offers a unique way to boost skills. The story is gripping enough to keep you going too. And who doesn't love the infinitely playable Triple Triad? :D

VII of course deserves its status as a classic. I joined the VII party extremely late (only played it last year), but Cloud's persona isn't nearly as grumpy as I was expecting. Which is good. Tifa and Red XIII are two of the best characters in the franchise, but the story is just so engrossing. That famous scene really does tug at the heartstrings and serves as a brilliant device to ensure Sephiroth's status as the greatest villain in the franchise (although I haven't played VI, I do hear good things about Kefka). A true classic.

X is alright. The voice actors aren't great but it's a very good game, taking classic FF and adapting it to what the PS2 is capable of. Not the best game, but good enough.

XII is awful, and I refuse to say anything about it other than Vaan is simply the worst protagonist in the series thus far.

XIII isn't terrible, but I can see why it gets the stick it does. The linearity is parting the game with its roots (something I despise Resident Evil 4 for) and the characters are incredibly irritating (Hope with his Operation NORA crap in particular). Saying that, I enjoyed the new battle engine and found the Paradigm Shift absolutely brilliant. A real redeeming feature. That said, I've still never finished the game.

Not played any of the others.

The Junction system is by far the stupidest system i have ever seen in a game, it is so over the top complicated and alongside the terrible story and characters it just isn't worth the time or effort to learn

what was so wrong with the systems until that point that decided to balls it up so much
  • PinSarlaPinSarla Posts: 4,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    The Junction system is by far the stupidest system i have ever seen in a game, it is so over the top complicated and alongside the terrible story and characters it just isn't worth the time or effort to learn

what was so wrong with the systems until that point that decided to balls it up so much

I thought the junction system was OK, but I loved the card games. I also loved Laguna's story, and I liked a lot of the cities, Gardens etc.

FF7 still remains my favourite. There's just something about getting out on to the world map for the first time each play through and remembering how big the game is. At the time of leaving Midgar during my first playthrough I wouldn't have believed you if you had told me how long it was going to take to go through just the main quest alone (let alone going to Wutai, raising Chocobos etc), such an amazing game.
  • RubricalRubrical Posts: 2,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I thought the Junction System was great! FFVIII is my second favourite, the first being VII naturally.

I thought Squall was a fantastic protagonist. In the beginning he's the reluctant hero but you see the progression in him towards the end and how much he cares. It's really moving!

I went to see Distant Worlds last night in Edinburgh - it was stunning!

For me, I'll always have an interest in future FF titles. It's a shame the past few years have been poor.
  • KillerCloudKillerCloud Posts: 1,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Right I'm gonna start by saying I love Final Fantasy VII ! My favourite PSOne game and my second favourite game of all time! The story was amazing (if not a bit confusing the first time playing through due to my age) , the characters were brilliant and it helped me get into RPGs in the first place.
    FInal Fantasy X is somehoe (IMO) even better making it my favourite game ever. I loved the connection between Tidus and Yuna, I love the levelling system and I love love love Blitzball!!! i have put so many hours just into this minigame! I can't wait for the HD remake and it's killing me that I don't know anything about when it is coming out. I can play this game anytime, carrying on saves or restarting it.
    Final Fantasy VIII I really dislike! A couple of my mates love it and think it is the best Final Fantasy but it isn't for me. I didnt like the characters, I didn't like the way you got the limit breaks and I didn't like junctioning. I just drew 100 waters and added that to my attack stat and I was immediately overpowered. But ah well lol
    Final Fantasy XII I quite enjoyed although it did bore me a lot of the time. The battle system was just to easy even if it was tactical. I didn't like the way the computer attacked for me and I didn't like that to get the best weapons I wasn't allowed to open certain pots, that was just strange.
    Final Fantasy XIII I enjoyed, the battle system again became too easy with the computer doing it for me but the paradigm shifts helped and I thought it got better with XIII-2 and hopefully 3 will be good.

I havent really played any of the others so can't have an opinion lol but I really hope XIV is good when it gets released on PS3 and I want info on FFX-HD now!!! :D
  • DandemDandem Posts: 13,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You see, that's the thing. You call it complicated, but to me it's just so incredibly simple. I can see why people might be peeved off that you get weaker if you use magic, but then it's not too dissimilar to keeping an eye on your MP in other games. You can't be overly reliant on magic in any game.

I just thought it was a brilliantly unique system to getting stronger, especially for those who hated grinding, which is very much advised against in this game. Which I think is wonderful! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dandem wrote: »
    You see, that's the thing. You call it complicated, but to me it's just so incredibly simple. I can see why people might be peeved off that you get weaker if you use magic, but then it's not too dissimilar to keeping an eye on your MP in other games. You can't be overly reliant on magic in any game.

I just thought it was a brilliantly unique system to getting stronger, especially for those who hated grinding, which is very much advised against in this game. Which I think is wonderful! :)

I think this is the only great thing about FFVIII, you get so many differing opinions on every single aspect

With games like VII, its almost universally loved and most others have a general consensus which is usually excepted

The truth is (and i hate it so much that it took me a long time to realize) there's is no definite answer about whether the game is good or not

You might of spent enough time to master the junction system, i didn't have patience, you love the characters i hate them etc.
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i lvoed ff13 battling system.
  • BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    Well VIII is the very definition of a marmite game. There doesn't seem to be much middle ground.

Personally, love it. It's my favourite FF. That being said, VI through X are all utterly brilliant IMO.

Never played XI and have no intentions of doing so. XII, was just dull, a real chore to play. I didn't think I'd ever say that about a FF game.

XIII - I think the lengthy gap between XII and XIII really helped it. By the time I eventually got and played XIII I'd forgotten a lot of the FF staples so their absence didn't really bother me. Yes, it was linear until very late in the game, but the graphics were gorgeous, the music was superb, and I loved the character designs. The story wasn't the best, but it was far from the worst too. The Paradigm shift combat system is, IMO, the best of the lot. Such a shame that it's going for XIII-3.
  • LobsterSandwichLobsterSandwich Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    Skies of Arcadia shits on all bar FFVI-X
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Skies of Arcadia shits on all bar FFVI-X

Two things

no it doesn't

where is the skies of arcadia retrospective
  • ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    Haven't played any of the first five games in the series... but FFVII is undoubtedly the best for me. I'm probably more of a Star Ocean fan boy but none of the games in that series can hold a candle to FFVII.

FFVI - Great fun, but didn't finish it so can't give a proper opinion.

FFVII - The first one I played. Brilliant story. Loved all of the characters, especially Red XIII, Aerith and Sephiroth. Would love a remake.

FFVIII - Really enjoyed this too. Spent hours and hours playing Triple Triad! Maybe Squall was a little too moody though. Quistis and Rinoa were cool characters and wasn't it fun to hate Seifer!

FFIX - Didn't like this one much.

FFX - Probably my 2nd favourite of the series after VII, spent ages playing Blitzball. Lulu was certainly a highlight! :D Liked Auron too.

FFXIII - As others have said, far too linear for much of the game. The paradigm system was good though.

I don't think this gen has been a good one overall for JRPGs, not just FF. The Last Remnant and Infinite Undiscovery were just woeful. Lost Odyssey is probably the one I've enjoyed most.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    VIII is by no means bad, but it's probably one of the worst that I've played (not including spinoffs and the like). I like how it at least tried different things. Of the ones I've personally played I'd probably rank them...

X (Although this may be because it was my first one and has just stuck with me. There are very few things I don't like about it.)
    VII
    IX
    IV
    VIII
    XII
    XIII

I really want to get my hands on VI as I've heard many describe it as their favourite, and it definitely looks like my kind of thing. Apparently there are loads of party members, whereas the more recent ones haven't had that many.

In terms of spinoffs I've also played Tactics which was great fun, would definitely be up there with the better games. Then there's X-2 which is kind of terrible yet light hearted and I very much enjoyed the battles and jobs. Another one that doesn't get spoken about much is Crystal Chronicles, which I enjoyed simply because it was a multiplayer game. Me and 3 other people I knew would be all nerdy after school and play it together. Great times :D.
  • RockChicRockChic Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    FFX is my fave definitely! I loved 7 and 6 too. I do feel however 7 is slightly overrated.
  • ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    RockChic wrote: »
    FFX is my fave definitely! I loved 7 and 6 too. I do feel however 7 is slightly overrated.

Heresy! :eek:;):D