EE close 78 shops

Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
Forum Member
✭✭
Saw this comming EE are to close 78 stores where the former Orange and T-Mobile stores (now rebranded EE) are in close proximity. I personally think more will follow.

http://www.mobiletoday.co.uk/News/23828/EE_to_close_78_stores_move_staff_to_nearby_branches.aspx

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How much did the rebranding of those stores cost?
  • legends wear 7legends wear 7 Posts: 2,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Already closed the spares in our town
  • clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How much did the rebranding of those stores cost?

I've seen estimates of around £10k per store. Money totally wasted .... it was an idiotic move, as they surely would have known that keeping two (or more) stores in close proximity would have involved one closing down regardless of the amount of business they were doing.
  • wrexham103.4wrexham103.4 Posts: 3,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    in wrexham there is an orange and tmobile rebranded as EE practically opposite each other, total waste of money
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    in wrexham there is an orange and tmobile rebranded as EE practically opposite each other, total waste of money

In some places they're literally next door.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In some places they're literally next door.
    In Gloucester they are next door but one, thought at the time it was a totally stupid idea to have them both open.
  • rosco2010rosco2010 Posts: 7,501
    Forum Member
    In Wakefield there are two in the main shopping centre within 30 seconds of each other, and another 5 minutes away at Trinity Walk.
  • ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    It was bound to happen, no point in having two stores close together. According to the article, I read most of the staff would be taken into other stores. It was only management that would be at risk. We shall have to see.
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We only got one last year which was an Orange shop last year when ever I buy or upgrade my phone I have always done it on line or phone call though but the shops are nice to go in to see how big they are before you get them.
  • Mark CMark C Posts: 20,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In Gloucester they are next door but one,

Same in Basingstoke, there's a Greggs pie shop separating them :D
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    Make them generic EE keep them open for a bit.. See where customers go most then close the quiet ones. Costly but Makes sense.
  • lost boylost boy Posts: 1,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

In Norwich there are four within about 5 minutes walk of each other - 2 ex T-Mobile, 2 ex Orange - one of each on Gentleman's Walk, one of each in Castle Mall. It's obvious which one in Castle Mall will be closed though, has been since EE (the parent company) was born, so rebranding it was just chucking money away.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it might be Leeds where they're literally next door to each other.
  • ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    Make them generic EE keep them open for a bit.. See where customers go most then close the quiet ones. Costly but Makes sense.

Not only that, but common sense would say keep the bigger of the two open. The shop would need to be big enough to handle two lots of customers. Wouldnt be surprised, if they close both down, and move to a bigger premises in some cases.
  • R410R410 Posts: 2,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was obvious to me that there would be a number of store closures. A lot of places had both a T-Mobile and Orange store, now with the merger each store does all 3 networks.
  • davybhoydavybhoy Posts: 1,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ACU wrote: »
    Not only that, but common sense would say keep the bigger of the two open. The shop would need to be big enough to handle two lots of customers. Wouldnt be surprised, if they close both down, and move to a bigger premises in some cases.

They are opening an additional 4 also so this could be the case with those 4...

We also have 3 within about 5 mins walk of each other so there'll definitely be closures here.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    we are on orange (3 contracts), but the orange/EE phone offers have been appalling for the last year or two - so we got handsets/contracts from other providers.
  • marknotgeorgemarknotgeorge Posts: 2,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clonmult wrote: »
    I've seen estimates of around £10k per store. Money totally wasted .... it was an idiotic move, as they surely would have known that keeping two (or more) stores in close proximity would have involved one closing down regardless of the amount of business they were doing.

I suppose it depends upon how much it costs to buy out of the lease.
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well they obviously have money to burn :eek:

Not exactly a sensible move!
  • PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

£10K doesn't buy much these days, not a very big refit then, maybe just changed the signage?