Samsung 95% of Q1 Android profits

swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
Forum Member
Of the estimated $5.3 billion operating profit for Android in Q1 2013, Samsung grabbed $5.1 billion, leaving just $0.1 billion for LG and a second $0.1 billion for the rest, this without the s4 as well.

As much as i think Samsung make the best phones at the moment I'm not sure this bodes well for the future.

http://blogs.strategyanalytics.com/WSS/post/2013/05/15/Samsung-Captures-95-Percent-Share-of-Global-Android-Smartphone-Profits-in-Q1-2013.aspx

As the article suggests they may make more than Google from Android and with that much muscle it will be tempting for them to start "suggesting" a direction for android possibly.

I wonder if the s4 "Nexus" was a sign of this.

Comments

• Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Google are definitely concerned about Samsung's dominance on Android. I'm expecting some big hardware announcements from Google in the course of this year.
  • wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Richly deserved I think as they have been innovative and offered a range of products across a wide range of price points to further the uptake of smartphone technology.
  • daclickdaclick Posts: 3,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    god don't let the the sheep see this....
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    Richly deserved I think as they have been innovative and offered a range of products across a wide range of price points to further the uptake of smartphone technology.

I agree they make excellent phones but such dominance can't be good in the long run. I hope there is something on the horizon to really challenge them not only for the consumer good but to stop Samsung becoming fat and lazy with it, as apple have become.
  • Jay-CeeJay-Cee Posts: 2,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    amazing result for samsung, i wish others like sony could at least compete and do away with the namings of their phone, the letters. WIth samsung it is easy and straight forward, but with sony i dont think it is. That could be another factor why samsung is doing well
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    daclick wrote: »
    god don't let the the sheep see this....

Nice edit.;)
  • daclickdaclick Posts: 3,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I felt my original word was a tad to offensive
  • Step666Step666 Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    I think Google are definitely concerned about Samsung's dominance on Android. I'm expecting some big hardware announcements from Google in the course of this year.
    The problem for Google is that their biggest headache is also their biggest partner.
    How far do they go trying to aide smaller manufacturers before they risk upsetting the only one making a real success of things? Is it worth pissing off Samsung to try and give Sony or HTC a bit of a boost?
  • clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jay-Cee wrote: »
    amazing result for samsung, i wish others like sony could at least compete and do away with the namings of their phone, the letters. WIth samsung it is easy and straight forward, but with sony i dont think it is. That could be another factor why samsung is doing well

It is an amazing result, but the naming is nothing to do with it.

S/2/3/4, Z, W, M, R, Ace/2, Y, etc.

Sony do almost exactly the same, but tend to make better looking products. The difference is marketing (and possibly a better dealer margin that gives a bigger incentive for retailers to promote the products in store).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clonmult wrote: »
    S/2/3/4, Z, W, M, R, Ace/2, Y, etc.

Sony do almost exactly the same...
    Not really

Sony have the Xperia S, the Xperia P, the Xperia L and the Xperia Z. Then they have the Xperia SL, the Xperia SP, the Xperia ZL and the Xperia ZR.
    How are people supposed to determine which handset of the Z, the ZL and the ZR is supposed to be the best?

HTC are guilty of the same thing - you could replace 'Xperia' with 'One' and they could be the names of HTC handsets.

Whilst the nomenclature alone won't decide which company flourishes and which doesn't, it's certainly not helpful to confuse your customers over the smallest little things.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Step666 wrote: »
    Not really

Sony have the Xperia S, the Xperia P, the Xperia L and the Xperia Z. Then they have the Xperia SL, the Xperia SP, the Xperia ZL and the Xperia ZR.
    How are people supposed to determine which handset of the Z, the ZL and the ZR is supposed to be the best?

HTC are guilty of the same thing - you could replace 'Xperia' with 'One' and they could be the names of HTC handsets.

Whilst the nomenclature alone won't decide which company flourishes and which doesn't, it's certainly not helpful to confuse your customers over the smallest little things.

Its equally impossible to guess the Samsung product placement by model number alone. There is no obvious sequence to the Samsung model numbers and of course even the ever popular galaxy is two different models (i9505 and i9500) with different processors.

Samsung are just as confusing as anyone else, the big difference is down to marketing and brand. Samsung have someone got that part right - Sony (just like Nokia) are a shadow of their former selves.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its equally impossible to guess the Samsung product placement by model number alone.
    No-one here has said a thing about model numbers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No-one here has said a thing about model numbers.

Okay, I should have said names - which has been mentioned by a few, and its got nothing to do with the popularity.

Samsungs model naming is just as inane and nonsensical as Sonys.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Samsungs model naming is just as inane and nonsensical as Sonys.
    Galaxy S3, Galaxy S4 are significantly clearer and simpler to differentiate between than the Sony names.
    i9500 and i9505 are model numbers, they are not used in any advertising or marketing, whereas Xperia Z, Xperia ZL and Xperia ZR are model names and are most definitely used in marketing material.

As I said before, of course that alone isn't the reason for Samsung's success or Sony's lack thereof.
    But it definitely doesn't help - it most definitely confuses average customers, I've overheard people claiming they have the HTC One when they actually have the HTC One X, because the names are too similar.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good for Samsung, it forces others to try harder with devices like the HTC One evidence of that.
  • Mr DangerousMr Dangerous Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    Good for Samsung, it forces others to try harder with devices like the HTC One evidence of that.

And Apple better start crapping themselves.....:p
  • slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And Apple better start crapping themselves.....:p

Well they are pretty quiet of late. Working on a game changing Iphone 6 perhaps? They will have to get a move on. The S4 and the one are big contenders this year and a new nexus phone likely out before years end. The next iphone may really be a make or break device, as Android and Sammy in particular are eating up the market share now.

The Iphone is starting to become something almost antiquated, a phone that USED to be great, but people have moved on from, to bigger (literally) and better phones.

I think the missed a trick with the 5, in not having a bigger screen. get iphone users coming up to me at work, when comparing with my One, and are totally fed up with the small screens. They take a look at the gorgeous display on the One and say why don;t Apple make bigger beautiful phones like that.

Apple really need a big hitter now. Or else watch their market share crumble further.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Galaxy S3, Galaxy S4 are significantly clearer and simpler to differentiate between than the Sony names.
    i9500 and i9505 are model numbers, they are not used in any advertising or marketing, whereas Xperia Z, Xperia ZL and Xperia ZR are model names and are most definitely used in marketing material.

As I said before, of course that alone isn't the reason for Samsung's success or Sony's lack thereof.
    But it definitely doesn't help - it most definitely confuses average customers, I've overheard people claiming they have the HTC One when they actually have the HTC One X, because the names are too similar.

Its only the top end models on which the naming is clear (due in no small part down to marketing).

What about the others? Galaxy Z, Galaxy W, Galaxy M, Galaxy R and the Galaxy Y. Galaxy Duos, Galaxy Beam (which has a darned handy gadget built in). Where does an average person think the Ace fits into this, is it worth spending a few quid more on an Ace 2 or S3 mini? Most of the Samsung range is equally confusing.

The naming of all of them - be they from Samsung, Sony or HTC are confusing.

Nokia had some common sense in their naming - first digit denotes the general positioning, then the next two denote a generation. Now Nokia are slowly edging back into their bad old days of naming - 920, 925 and 928. All point variants on the same phone.

Even though I'm not a huge fan, its only Apple that have truly got it right - 4S or 5, and then you get to choose capacity. Quite simple. Although I really do think that Apple are more than just losing a little momentum .... or at least badly losing their way. Maybe Jonny Ive can reinvigorate the companies products.

Interesting days ahead - I doubt that Samsung will keep their current lead, the market does tend to vary in ways that are difficult to predict.