Back To Camelot: Merlin Series 1 discussion thread (beginning Saturday 5th January)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    I've possibly thought of another one to add to the drinking game list. All the villains in Merlin seem to wear black or dark clothing (I'm sure someone will find an exception somewhere). Like as soon as Morgana turned evil - she wore black. When Mordred went back to Morgana - he wore dark clothes again. Evil uncle Agravaine - wore black. Helios - wore black. That's how I couldn't understand why Arthur didn't know Agravaine was evil - he wore black and no-one else in Camelot did, wasn't it obvious?!

Nimueh wore red, as did Morgause. When Nimueh was posing as Cara she wore blue and red.
    Forum Member
    Avi8 wrote: »
    As I recall it, the Bradley shirtlessness was at its most rampant in S3. I don't think he took his shirt off in S1 - well, not until ep13 anyway. It didn't matter in those days because he always sported a sexy jacket, or the famous brown coat in those days, instead of the horrid chainmail.

Yes, he did, in at least two different episodes. There's even an episode in which Arthur and Uther are shirtless. :p
  • MikeAP001MikeAP001 Posts: 1,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Natarhi wrote: »
    Honestly did you not take any notice of my public health warning?? :rolleyes: I'll be ready to send out a search party, but don't blame me when you wake up in hospital or police custody (or both!) come Sunday morning. :p;)
    Uh... you're looking at 10 shots easy before it's half over with that list... :p
  • LMLM Posts: 63,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gonna start watching Merlin

Seen a few episodes of Series 1 and 2 but never fully explored the show. I caught glimpses of the finale and was impressed with how it ended, but curious to know what led to what became of the finale.
  • the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Seen a few episodes of Series 1 and 2 but never fully explored the show. I caught glimpses of the finale and was impressed with how it ended, but curious to know what led to what became of the finale.

I got into it at series 5. Got series 1 for Christmas and am up to episode 7 now - I can see why people say it was a very different show back then. Am really enjoying it - quite a bit more humour than in series 5. Funny to see 'nice' Morgana too - wearing colourful dresses and make-up rather than the goth look.
  • star89star89 Posts: 23,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Natarhi wrote: »
    Honestly did you not take any notice of my public health warning?? :rolleyes: I'll be ready to send out a search party, but don't blame me when you wake up in hospital or police custody (or both!) come Sunday morning. :p;)

I never take notice of public health warnings. Ok I'l play by your list... however during episode 2x03 I shall be playing by Smint's list otherwise my laptop will be launched at Merlin's head :mad::o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Okay, I'm officially sad - I've just written out both lists by hand (Bingo and drinking) ahead of tonight!
    And the bottle of Absolut is ready and waiting!!
  • claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am happy to do the tally for the episodes and keep a record - I have a spreadsheet and everything. There can be graphs! (I am a tech girl) :D
  • SmintSmint Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Okay, I'm officially sad - I've just written out both lists by hand (Bingo and drinking) ahead of tonight!
    And the bottle of Absolut is ready and waiting!!

Absolut? Bloody hell - I'd be on the floor after the dragon's opening lies, I mean, speech!

:D
    claire2281 wrote: »
    I am happy to do the tally for the episodes and keep a record - I have a spreadsheet and everything. There can be graphs! (I am a tech girl) :D

Yay for graphs! Into thine hands I commend the tally :)
  • owlycherriesowlycherries Posts: 2,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yay, good for you :):) Series 1-3 (particularly 1 and 2) are very different from series 5, almost like a different show! I wish I could experience the magic again from the start, with no recollection of what's to come!

Will you be joining in with the discussion on this thread tonight?
  • Keren-HappuchKeren-Happuch Posts: 2,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    feimurgan wrote: »
    Nimueh wore red, as did Morgause. When Nimueh was posing as Cara she wore blue and red.

Okay, I thought there probably would be some exceptions. I didn't watch S1 so I don't know anything about Nimueh and I can't remember what Morgause wore.

I was going to watch the first episode this afternoon but I've just found out about CITV's Old Skool weekend so I'm reliving my childhood and watching Finders Keepers and Fun House instead. :o I'll be back earlier than I thought tonight though, should be in by about 8.30 so I'll probably watch the episode then and join in the discussion after that. Am really looking forward to seeing how different S1 is - and of course, the unveiling of Colin's chest. I'm breathless with anticipation. :D
  • dazn12dazn12 Posts: 6,908
    Forum Member
    I'll be here too!

Keeping the magic secret! :p
    Forum Member
    May I join the rewatch discussion? :)
  • bgtensionbgtension Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are they going to be showing all 5 series?
  • shuraloveshuralove Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    I only discovered the Merlin threads towards the very end. I would love to join in the rewatch from the beginning though:D
  • Avi8Avi8 Posts: 3,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    feimurgan wrote: »
    May I join the rewatch discussion? :)

The more the merrier! :D

I'll be back earlier than I thought tonight though, should be in by about 8.30 so I'll probably watch the episode then and join in the discussion after that. Am really looking forward to seeing how different S1 is - and of course, the unveiling of Colin's chest. I'm breathless with anticipation. :D

I wish I wasn't going out tonight. It is only 2:30 and I am already worn out from cleaning up the house after X weeks of no housework :o I would like nothing better than to stay in with Colin's chest - I mean, with ep 1 of Merlin.

I hope everyone seeing ep 1 for the first time enjoys it (though, just to get the critical discussion started, I did think it was a typical starter episode, ie loads of introducing characters but little plot). If Colin's chest is not your thing, there is of course the legendary moment when Merlin and Arthur meet, and the sweetness of Gwen and Morgana to look forward to.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bgtension wrote: »
    Are they going to be showing all 5 series?
    Right now, it seems to be only S1 until April 2013. But, the BBC might end up doing all 5 up to Autumn 2014. That would dove tail nicely with the spin off series.
  • LowriLowri Posts: 3,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MikeAP001 wrote: »
    Right now, it seems to be only S1 until April 2013. But, the BBC might end up doing all 5 up to Autumn 2014. That would dove tail nicely with the spin off series.

Mike, I think you should add that your post contains a little speculation. As far as I know, the spin off idea is at the moment wishful thinking that might or might not happen with absolutely no guarantee of a 2014 air date (unlikely in my opinion).
    If all episodes are shown back to back, one per week starting from today, the final episode of series 5 will be shown on 29th March 2014.

Regarding the repeats, I think it is likely that it will only be series 1, series 2 at best. They might show them all (it seems a shame to start and then not finish) but I expect the timing will have to move around all over the place, 7pm is primetime on a saturday and asking BBC3 to keep it clear for repeats for 65 weeks is quite a tall order.
    Hopefully it will do what Doctor Who does on BBC3, it shows up every now and then, usually starting from a random series but will then go on to the present episodes, Mike is right in that this usually is the lead up to a bigger event.
    Although, DW series 1 hasn't been seen for ages and ages on BBC3 and series 2-4 are getting rarer so it's best not to take anything for granted where repeat scheduling is concerned.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 83
    Forum Member
    Rewatching some of the episodes of S1... I must say they really HAVE improved in terms of production value since then. But, the show seemed a lot more charming, I really remember why I liked it. I wouldnt be complaining if they matched the tone now with stories that were as intriguing, but I feel S1 and S2 really were more creative in terms of story elements (even if it was monster of the week, I sometimes prefer it to Morgana's evil plot of the week from S5) and the sense of adventure was stronger.

And the Arthur-Merlin relationship at some points were a lot better than what we got in the next seasons. They probably mean all the bullying to be more of affection, but I really wish they took notes from how it was handled in Moment of Truth (and mostly Ben Vanstone's episodes). There was lots of banter, but there was an equal amount of affection and respect. Wish we got more of that.

And I really do miss good Morgana not particularly because she was good, but she was more interesting "good". She was way more morally ambiguous then. You knew she loved her friends and was capable of compassion, but she was also capable of morally questionable things more than any other character. You weren't always sure what she was going to do... Too bad they hyped up her turning evil in the long run so much and rushing it so much at the end.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yay, good for you :):) Series 1-3 (particularly 1 and 2) are very different from series 5, almost like a different show! I wish I could experience the magic again from the start, with no recollection of what's to come!

Will you be joining in with the discussion on this thread tonight?

Thank You:)

No i won't be joining in. I have set it for Series record and likely watch it tomorrow. I'll give my view at some point
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smint wrote: »
    Absolut? Bloody hell - I'd be on the floor after the dragon's opening lies, I mean, speech!

:D
    Well, it's nice to know I'd outlast someone. I'd make it until Merlin meets Gaius... :D
  • LowriLowri Posts: 3,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MikeAP001 wrote: »
    Well, it's nice to know I'd outlast someone. I'd make it until Merlin meets Gaius... :D

Still one of the best pieces of magic he's performed imo :D Ahh, when everything and everyone was so young and full of promise, *sigh*
  • Avi8Avi8 Posts: 3,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just watched the episode but now have to get ready to go out.

Can I just make a quick point now. When Gaius rescues Merlin from the dungeon, having only known him a day, he says 'You never cease to amaze me'. It seems a bit early in the relationship for Gaius to be talking as though he has known Merlin for months or years. Was that evidence in the very first episode that we were not in the surest hands script-wise?
  • star89star89 Posts: 23,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Avi8 wrote: »
    I've just watched the episode but now have to get ready to go out.

Can I just make a quick point now. When Gaius rescues Merlin from the dungeon, having only known him a day, he says 'You never cease to amaze me'. It seems a bit early in the relationship for Gaius to be talking as though he has known Merlin for months or years. Was that evidence in the very first episode that we were not in the surest hands script-wise?

:eek: Spoilers in tags Avi, some of us havn't watched it yet ;):p:p
  • SmintSmint Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, going out shortly, but have watched the episode, so here are the results of my Merlin Bingo (I did a card and everything!)

I'll put it in spoilers for the moment in case it gives anything away :)

Merlin Bingo Card Series 1 Episode 1
    Arthur throws something at or hits Merlin

A stranger arrives in Camelot

Every time Merlin uses magic but Arthur doesn't notice

Uther says sorcerers can't be trusted/they all want to destroy the kingdom

Morgana verbal bitch slaps Uther for his tyrannical ways

The guards fail at guarding

Gaius gives someone a sleeping potion (assuming that's what he gave to Morgana)

Every time Merlin uses magic to save Arthur

Gwen or Morgana scoff at the idea of liking Arthur

Uther says "It is/must be sorcery/magic"

Uther or Arthur have a different crown to the last one they wore

Morgana gets to wear more than one dress an episode

There is shirtlessness

Magic sends someone flying through the air

Every time Gaius, mislead, tells a half-truth, or lies

Gaius says "sossery"

Well, that was pretty good - 15 out of 16

I don't think Gaius actually said the word "sossery" - he said magic, enchantment and gift, but not sossery
    And one comment from me:
    Why, if Uther hated everything magic, did he have a dragon as his emblem?