XBox One CPU upclocked to 1.75Ghz; Now in Mass Production

BigFoot87BigFoot87 Posts: 9,293
Forum Member
http://www.geekwire.com/2013/xbox-update-console-full-production-improved-cpu-performance/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+geekwire+%28GeekWire%29
Xbox chief marketing officer Yusef Mehdi just spoke at the Citi Global Technology Conference and said Microsoft is now in full production for the Xbox One and producing in mass with plans still on for a November 2013 launch.

About one month after improving the GPU clock speed, Mehdi added that Microsoft just made another technical boost by upgrading the CPU performance to 1.75 GHZ from 1.6 GHZ.

Mehdi wouldn’t reveal a launch date — the PlayStation 4 comes out Nov. 15 — but did say that the system is “really going to shine.”

“This will be the biggest launch we’ve ever done by a wide margin in terms of units shipped at launch,” Mehdi said.

Looking good. GPU upclocked by 6%, now CPU upclocked by 9%. FCC passed and console now in mass production.

All we need now.....is a release date.

Comments

• 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    Very nice! Great news and quite unexpected.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 198
    Forum Member
    Great news, gonna be a powerful machine when it launches!
  • Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm going wait until chopoff comes in and tells us the ps4 is 40% better before I get to excited. Lol
  • gamercraiggamercraig Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    I'm going wait until chopoff comes in and tells us the ps4 is 40% better before I get to excited. Lol

Maybe only 38% now :)
  • muntamunta Posts: 18,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gamercraig wrote: »
    Maybe only 38% now :)

I don't think anyone really knows what the specs are for the PS4 anyway. The CPU speed was always rumoured to be 1.6 (like the Xbox one was initially) but no one knew for sure. Ultimately Sony have remained very tight lipped about any details. I guess we will only know which machine has the edge once they are both released and techies start looking under the hood.
  • kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Give it time im sure we will hear the 40% anytime now :p
  • gamercraiggamercraig Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    munta wrote: »
    I don't think anyone really knows what the specs are for the PS4 anyway. The CPU speed was always rumoured to be 1.6 (like the Xbox one was initially) but no one knew for sure. Ultimately Sony have remained very tight lipped about any details. I guess we will only know which machine has the edge once they are both released and techies start looking under the hood.

Yeah, at the end of the day, all this comparing specs is willy-waving. Ultimately both machines are more powerful than their predecessors by some margin so get on and enjoy which one you choose - or both!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gamercraig wrote: »
    Yeah, at the end of the day, all this comparing specs is willy-waving. Ultimately both machines are more powerful than their predecessors by some margin so get on and enjoy which one you choose - or both!

Yup - both are a lot more powerful. I think I read that the Xbox was 10 times more powerful. One thing I don't understand though. If its 10 times more that doesn't fit in with Moore's Law which says computers double in power every 2 years. The Xbox released 8 years ago so the power should be 16 times more powerful.

Similar goes for the PS4. The PS3 was seen to be more powerful than the Xbox 360 and after 7 years the PS4 is only 14 times more powerful than the 360 (assuming its 40% more powerful than the One)

The numbers just don't add up.

But time will tell
  • DazerUKDazerUK Posts: 1,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yup - both are a lot more powerful. I think I read that the Xbox was 10 times more powerful. One thing I don't understand though. If its 10 times more that doesn't fit in with Moore's Law which says computers double in power every 2 years. The Xbox released 8 years ago so the power should be 16 times more powerful.

Similar goes for the PS4. The PS3 was seen to be more powerful than the Xbox 360 and after 7 years the PS4 is only 14 times more powerful than the 360 (assuming its 40% more powerful than the One)

The numbers just don't add up.

But time will tell

Seems like your maths is a bit suspect.

Moore's Law predicts that the number of transistors on integrated circuits doubles approximately every two years.

So after
    1 year x 2
    2 years x 4
    3 years x 8
    4 years x 16
    5 years x 32
    6 years x 64
    7 years x 128
    8 years x 256
    9 years x 512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DazerUK wrote: »
    Seems like your maths is a bit suspect.

Moore's Law predicts that the number of transistors on integrated circuits doubles approximately every two years.

So after
    1 year x 2
    2 years x 4
    3 years x 8
    4 years x 16
    5 years x 32
    6 years x 64
    7 years x 128
    8 years x 256
    9 years x 512

How do you work that one out if its every 2 years?

Year 0 x 1
    Year 2 x 2
    Year 4 x 4
    year 6 x 8
    Year 8 x 16
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    Digital Foundry article on the news as well as rounding up some of the new findings at the Hot Chips 25 presentation detailing the custom nature of the X1 architecture.
  • redhatmattredhatmatt Posts: 5,197
    Forum Member
    kendoguk wrote: »
    Give it time im sure we will hear the 40% anytime now :p

Yep and drama's if you dare challenge how much difference that 40% will make. Remember daring to criticise the ps4 in chopoffs presence is equivilent to criticising the Koran in Osama bin ladens presence. You know it is going to end with someone blowing up in rage.
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All this talk of a further upgrade is very lovely, but let's just hope the rumour I heard about overheating Xbox One systems at PAX are unfounded.
    Forum Member
    All this talk of a further upgrade is very lovely, but let's just hope the rumours about overheating Xbox One systems at PAX are unfounded.

Dont the xbox one have a emergency shutdown mode for when they overheat?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    redhatmatt wrote: »
    Dont the xbox one have a emergency shutdown mode for when they overheat?

In the event of overheating being detected, Xbox One can drop to a low power state. This will no doubt have an impact on performance or availability of certain features, but should at least prevent catastrophic failure, as seen with RROD.

There are stories floating around that demo units at PAX were switched off between demos to allow the systems to cool down. Somewhat at odds with Microsoft's "can be left switched on for 10 years" claim.
  • Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the event of overheating being detected, Xbox One can drop to a low power state. This will no doubt have an impact on performance or availability of certain features, but should at least prevent catastrophic failure, as seen with RROD.

There are stories floating around that demo units at PAX were switched off between demos to allow the systems to cool down. Somewhat at odds with Microsoft's "can be left switched on for 10 years" claim.

Don't they normally stuff the machines in tiny cupboards which isn't exactly ideal for any electrical device? If the rumors are true it could just be because they weren't getting enough ventilation.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From what I saw, the consoles were sitting on top of large locked cupboards, with a sheet of perspex protecting the console's buttons from inquisitive fingers. What was inside said cupboards is anyone's guess.
    Forum Member
    From what I saw, the consoles were sitting on top of large locked cupboards, with a sheet of perspex protecting the console's buttons from curious fingers. What was inside said cupboards is anyone's guess.

Those perspex glasses are like greenhouses especially with the strong lights of Expos.

Things at expos are lit to be camera friendly, which is very strong, hot lights.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    redhatmatt wrote: »
    Those perspex glasses are like greenhouses especially with the strong lights of Expos.

Things at expos are lit to be camera friendly, which is very strong, hot lights.

That could explain why they were having problems.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The PS4 is 40% more powerful this is pointless information, why waste your time on such a useless device. It would be fine if it had decent games, but the Xbox doesn't have any games. It's just ads, ads, ads. Save your money kids.

But seriously, this probably won't help games too much, but will help your apps and etc a great deal.

Snap mode, switching between game/movie/TV whatever will benefit most from this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It will be 1.6, I'm quite sure.

You brag your numbers if they're good, which is why MS announced their console by telling everyone it had 5 billion transistors rather than saying it was otherwise full of inferior numbers to the PS4.

1.6 is standard for the CPU, and given the PS4's size I can't see them increasing it unless they're hiding a turbo jet in there.

MS's advantage is it's size disadvantage.
  • gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    chopoff wrote: »
    It will be 1.6, I'm quite sure.

You brag your numbers if they're good, which is why MS announced their console by telling everyone it had 5 billion transistors rather than saying it was otherwise full of inferior numbers to the PS4.

1.6 is standard for the CPU, and given the PS4's size I can't see them increasing it unless they're hiding a turbo jet in there.

MS's advantage is it's size disadvantage.

Major Nelson posted this on his twitter account so it looks like it is the higher figure and it links to the same web site as in the OP
    Larry Hryb ‏@majornelson

"Xbox One now in full production with improved CPU performance" http://mjr.mn/1dEHuWc via @geekwire
    https://twitter.com/majornelson
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gds1972 wrote: »
    Major Nelson posted this on his twitter account so it looks like it is the higher figure and it links to the same web site as in the OP

https://twitter.com/majornelson
    Like munta, I was talking about the PS4.
  • gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    Like munta, I was talking about the PS4.

Sorry I should have paid more attention. :o
  • He4rtHe4rt Posts: 5,379
    Forum Member
    The PS4 is 40% more powerful this is pointless information, why waste your time on such a useless device. It would be fine if it had decent games, but the Xbox doesn't have any games. It's just ads, ads, ads. Save your money

Chopoff has spoken..

Pre order cancelled.