Female Artists to keep an eye on?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,302
Forum Member
✭✭✭
As in, new or emerging female artists that may produce some decent music (rather than trying to predict who is going to become popular). Here are 5 from me. As ever, say what you think of my choices or post some of your own...or let the thread quietly die ;).

I like the sound of this young Danish girl's songs and not just because I'm a sucker for hand claps and finger clicks. She does seem like she could genuinely be a bit mad/eccentric too which is good.

Banks
Talked about her before. Smooth R&B with some good production (R&B doesn't always have to be a dirty word).

Courtney Barnett
I liked a song I heard from this Australian girl last year and she's just released this even better one. There is just something very charming about her voice and very quotable lyrics.

Fallulah
Not really new, she's had some success in her home country of Denmark but there seems to be a bit of a push to promote her elsewhere. Seems to have some catchy songs, kind of reminiscent of Lykke Li but I need to listen to more.

Laura Groves
Bit of a wild card but she is basically unknown. She's got this good new song which could be a step forward for her musically. It's certainly renewed my interest in her future output.

:)

Comments

• LandslideBradLandslideBrad Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    Ariana Grande, Cassadee Pope and Lorde.
  • umr3000umr3000 Posts: 1,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Runner- up of The Voice UK 2013 Leah McFall is an exciting new artist who I predict BIG things for. She is currently writing and recording her debut album with the enlisted help of Will.i.am and many others.
  • Mark-AnthonyMark-Anthony Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hopefully Ella Henderson. Love her voice.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tamar Braxton.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ariana Grande, Cassadee Pope and Lorde.
    Lorde's getting some attention isn't she? I'm struggling to see the appeal but maybe I will after I've heard more songs.
  • constantino_chrconstantino_chr Posts: 673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lorde, Sky Ferriera, Foxes, Chloe Howl and Angel Haze
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 369
    Forum Member
    Lorde's one getting quite a bit of hype right now. Her single (''Royals'') is doing very well on US iTunes, and some people are tipping it to be the next ''Somebody That I Used To Know'', and people are already talking about the follow-up too, ''Tennis Court''.
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    That's it confirmed then; Lorde is clearly going to be the next big thing as Smudged can't see the appeal :D Joking aside, I think she has potential for such a young artist, especially compared to what I experienced with the artists in the OP. But let's wait until we get the album and we'll be in a better position to judge her then...
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Florrie
  • MrfentyMrfenty Posts: 717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Without a doubt Ariana Grande, she is very hyped up at the minute, but she deserves it, i'm listening to her album for the first time now and its great so far, her voice really is something special.

Agree with Tamar Braxton, not a new artist, her first album came out in 2000, but its her reintroduction, cant wait for her new album, sounds great from the snippets.

That's all I can really think off atm, even though women dominate the charts, i'm noticing that there haven't been many new female artists emerging recently since Gaga theres really been no one, in comparison to male artists with people like Miguel, Frank Ocean, Tinie Tempah, J Cole, Big Sean, Ed Sheeran,Bruno Mars etc who have become massive in the last 2-3 years.
  • Fred E StarFred E Star Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Florrie's well past her sell by date and Lorde is a Poundshop LDR!

I've listened to both The Love Club and Tennis Court EP's and the only thing I like is her Replacements cover as I'm a fan of the original.

I've seen Fallulah live a few times and she's fantastic but she's never going to get anywhere in the UK.

Don't rate Chloe Howl much but I do love her freckles!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »
    That's it confirmed then; Lorde is clearly going to be the next big thing as Smudged can't see the appeal :D Joking aside, I think she has potential for such a young artist, especially compared to what I experienced with the artists in the OP. But let's wait until we get the album and we'll be in a better position to judge her then...
    lol, that is so sad and typical of you. Criticising my choices without coming up with any of your own. Still bitter than I don't rate LDR or Birdy very highly? :rolleyes:

In case you still haven't realised I couldn't care less who is going to be the 'next big thing'. I even made a point of saying that's not what the thread's about but you're so obsessed with popularity that you couldn't stop yourself mentioning it :D.
  • Barney06Barney06 Posts: 123,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Smudged wrote: »
    As in, new or emerging female artists that may produce some decent music (rather than trying to predict who is going to become popular). Here are 5 from me. As ever, say what you think of my choices or post some of your own...or let the thread quietly die ;).

I like the sound of this young Danish girl's songs and not just because I'm a sucker for hand claps and finger clicks. She does seem like she could genuinely be a bit mad/eccentric too which is good.

OK , not bad

Banks
    Talked about her before. Smooth R&B with some good production (R&B doesn't always have to be a dirty word).

Poor , thumbs down from me

Courtney Barnett
    I liked a song I heard from this Australian girl last year and she's just released this even better one. There is just
    something very charming about her voice and very quotable
    lyrics.

Best track on your list

Fallulah
    Not really new, she's had some success in her home country of Denmark but there seems to be a bit of a push to promote her elsewhere. Seems to have some catchy songs, kind of reminiscent of Lykke Li but I need to listen to more.

So so

Laura Groves
    Bit of a wild card but she is basically unknown. She's got this good new song which could be a step forward for her musically. It's certainly renewed my interest in her future output.

2nd place in your list

:)

Not a single female singer , but two who share vocals in their group . Lucius with Go Home

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACBwXIzQou8
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    Moya or x Priest x.
  • Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always keep an eye on the saturdays!
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Jason100 wrote: »
    I always keep an eye on the saturdays!

Is that because you like their music or because you fancy one or all of the members? :D
  • Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,170
    Forum Member
    for this year my fave new female singer/songwriters who haven't yet released albums are:
    Frida Sundemo
    (you will probably like if you like robyn, royksopp or lykke li)

Lorde

Nina Nesbit

Christine and the Queens

Foxes

Moya

female artists who deserve notice after a hidden gem of a debut album ....

Kristina Train - sublime jazz voice
    Lianne la Havas - Emeli Sande overshadowed her, but she is just as good, and they are both two very different modern soul talents.
    Karima Francis -modern tracy chapman/joan armatrading
    Natalia Kills - pop diva ... very lady gaga but perhaps darker
  • constantino_chrconstantino_chr Posts: 673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I Forgot Marika Hackman<<3
  • Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is that because you like their music or because you fancy one or all of the members? :D

They have some good music but i think they're all taken now!
  • JustArunJustArun Posts: 8,941
    Forum Member
    Ariana Grande, just her vocal talent alone is impressive but she oozes star quality too. I'm very impressed by her album.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I Forgot Marika Hackman<<3
    I need to check her out at some point. She supported Laura Marling and got some good reviews.

The other new female artist I think could produce something really good in future is Torres. Debut album is pretty good but it wasn't until I heard her sing live that I realised how strong and flexible her voice is:

http://youtu.be/NISMOpGrNpk
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    They have already been mentioned but I would have to say Ella Henderson and Nina Nesbitt.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    Cassadee Pope, Tich, Little Nikki & Samantha Jade. Also really liking girlband Neon Jungle.
  • mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    Mree. She has one of the best voices I've ever heard.

Mree - Blood