Sky 'accidentally' disconnected my phone line - why did I just reciece a call?

I'll spare you the details but Sky made an almighty balls up today and 'accidentally' cancelled my phone and broadband services.

I taken issue with them to try sort it out but was told that it's too late and that I now have no carrier; and that I'll have to order new services.

However, I just received a phone call and I have a dialling tone now - which I never had earlier.

Can anyone tell me how this can be and who is providing the line for me?

I've dialed 150 and got a BT message so it looks like it's reverted to BT.

Comments

• CTD101CTD101 Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll spare you the details but Sky made an almighty balls up today and 'accidentally' cancelled my phone and broadband services.

I taken issue with them to try sort it out but was told that it's too late and that I now have no carrier; and that I'll have to order new services.

However, I just received a phone call and I have a dialling tone now - which I never had earlier.

Can anyone tell me how this can be and who is providing the line for me?

I've dialed 150 and got a BT message so it looks like it's reverted to BT.

Can you dial a mobile or landline? It could be that your line has reverted to incoming calls only?
  • joebloggs90joebloggs90 Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, just checked and I can dial out
  • CTD101CTD101 Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, just checked and I can dial out

If the number is the one that you had with your Sky account then maybe Sky have re-connected your line as it was before.
  • joebloggs90joebloggs90 Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they have then it must be a miracle as I was told several time that it was out of their hands now and that BT handle the disconnect and they couldn't just switch it back on :-/

I suppose I'll need to phone them tomorrow to try and find out.

I was wondering tho if when BT Openreach disconnect, that switch the line back to them to keep it live?
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If a phone service is cancelled you may still have dial tone (which merely indicates that there is 50V on the line) but you should not be able to make or receive calls. And if you call your mobile for example and see your normal number then that suggests the line has not been cancelled.

It would be unusual for Openreach to move that quickly and disable a line within a few hours. And they just disconnect it. There is no need at all to keep any service on it. In fact once a line is properly cancelled there is nothing to stop the pair of wires between the exchange and any of the cabinets it passes through on it's way to your house to be re-routed to some other subscriber.
  • Steven L HunterSteven L Hunter Posts: 10,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Try dialling 17070 it will tell you what the number is for the line